With Pick 190, The Bengals Select: Rex Burkhead, RB Nebraska

Agreed, but I also think he wore down some. 

I still think he can contribute mightily to the team on STs, and in some packages on offense - in the slot, lined up in the backfield at times... but his role is likely diminished on offense, relative to 2012. But that opens up the possibility of his contributing in the return game, too, in addition to his coverage responsibilities.

This is what I am hoping for. Hawkins is a "package guy", and as such, his role will need to be disguised by the presence of other playmakers on the field when he is also on the field. I'd love to see Gruden really open up the playbook this season and include some stuff for Hawkins, but not so much that maybe he can also contribute as a return guy too. He's got the quicks to return kicks and punts. I'd love to see him alternate with Jones on PR's rather than Tate. 

This is what I am hoping for. Hawkins is a "package guy", and as such, his role will need to be disguised by the presence of other playmakers on the field when he is also on the field. I'd love to see Gruden really open up the playbook this season and include some stuff for Hawkins, but not so much that maybe he can also contribute as a return guy too. He's got the quicks to return kicks and punts. I'd love to see him alternate with Jones on PR's rather than Tate. 

Yeah, I think Tate - and for that matter, Whelan - are on the bubble. There's a lot of competition, and it's a deep roster - that's a nice problem to have. 

I think he's definitely more of a package guy this year.  They were concerned about his durability last year, to the point where they didn't even want him to play offense in the first pittsburgh game.  He only did because Jones got hurt.

tumblr_m8g0juo74B1rv50kuo1_500.jpg

LOVE this pick !!!!

I mentioned a few months ago that I wanted the Bengals to pick him up on here and have watched him a lot as a Husker fan.

He's a weight-room warrior, the best lifter on Nebraska. Also a high character guy, who I think would have been drafted higher if he had some darker pigment (NFL RB, one of the few jobs in America where it hurts to be white).

I like this pick and what he brings.   Brian Leonard is a good comparison..Rex is just a better Leonard.

Nimble but has size and strength.
Not great blocker but very willing and technically sound--takes a good angle and squares up to take on bigger guys
He looks bigger than 5'10" but plays lower,never see him running "high". Plus he gets "small" in tight holes (that sounds kinda dirty, don't it)'
Good hands and instincts. Has that "eyes in the back of his head" sixth sense.

Watching that bowl game against GA, I noticed he trucked our 3rd rd Safety (who did make the tackle) and he got behind him on his TD catch as Williams was peaking in the backfield.

On a side note:   If GA defense has so many NFL caliber defenders, why did their D give up points left and right?

They were 18th in the nation in scoring defense.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SyMDaAG6To[/media]

I was looking at the competition he was playing against on this video, and he wasn't doing this against the South West Grand Valley State Colleges.  He was doing this against OSU, UGA, PSU and other big time schools.  Impressive. I didn't really know who he was, but I think the only RB on last years roster that is basically safe is BJGE.  Everyone else better get to work.. Training camp is going to be full of competition!

I think he's very borderline to make the team. He's not an Andy type receiver and unless he steps his feel for the game, knowledge of the game up, I think he's gone.

go back and look at his game to game stats. he was quite the enigma for teams early on in the year, when he broke several long plays. they figured him out once some tape got out there on him 3-4 games into the season. he acquired 55% of his yards in these first four games. thereafter, he still was getting 3-4 balls per game, but he wasn't breaking them for long gains anymore. once the magic came out of the bottle the fantasy of him being some big time play maker was over. i think he'll struggle to make our WR group, but i wouldn't mind if he sneaks into the final spot, if they think we have a need for a gadget player in this offense. if we limit his usage his effectiveness will increase, because he's just not effective as an every down player.

go back and look at his game to game stats. he was quite the enigma for teams early on in the year, when he broke several long plays. they figured him out once some tape got out there on him 3-4 games into the season. he acquired 55% of his yards in these first four games. thereafter, he still was getting 3-4 balls per game, but he wasn't breaking them for long gains anymore. once the magic came out of the bottle the fantasy of him being some big time play maker was over. i think he'll struggle to make our WR group, but i wouldn't mind if he sneaks into the final spot, if they think we have a need for a gadget player in this offense. if we limit his usage his effectiveness will increase, because he's just not effective as an every down player.

He doesn't have great "long" speed but he's got very quick feet, and he finishes runs well. I think he's faster on the field than how he times; I feel that way about Sean Porter, too.

He's versatile, which helps, and he's tough. He's been a playmaker for Nebraska pretty much since he's been there. I'd be very surprised if he didn't make the team.

He's nasty in the open field but how often can get get the ball in the open field? He's more athlete than football player IMO. I don't know if I even think he and Gruden are a good mix for each other. I don't know about Gruden... I have my doubts.

MORE REX AND JACK: Sixth-round pick Rex Burkhead began his first week as a Bengal in the Oval Office. Burkhead's good friend, seven-year-old Jack Hoffman, was invited to the White House by the President after Barack Obama heard about Jack's fight with pediatric brain cancer. Burkhead, Jack's favorite Nebraska player, struck up a relationship with Hoffman and he has been named the 2012 Uplifting Athletes Rare Disease Champion.

“Being in there talking with the President was a weird feeling,” Burkhead told the web site for Uplifting Athletes. “Being in there with the Hoffman family and Jack and bringing about awareness to pediatric brain cancer is very important. It’s all about bring more awareness and raising money for more research.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/BJGE-sees-Boston-Strong-TEs-Dalton-and-his-draft-Rey-on-second-chance-Rex-Jack-go-Oval/53a1553f-14fb-4a78-a3e7-8d03985dc408?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Burkhead's Bengals debut presidential

Fair to say that Nebraska running back Rex Burkhead is the first rookie in Bengals history to start his NFL career in the Oval Office.

On Monday, a mere 48 hours after the Bengals took him in the sixth round of Saturday's NFL Draft, Burkhead and his good friend Jack Hoffman met with President Barack Obama in the pair's continuing crusade for pediatric brain cancer awareness.

As Obama shook Burkhead's hand he said, "Bengals, right?"

"He knew what was going on with the draft," said Burkhead Monday night, back home in Texas after the whirlwind same-day trip. "He asked me when camp started up and he said he had watched a couple of Hard Knocks so he felt like he knew what training camp was like. He asked me, 'What's the next step?' and I told him I had a rookie minicamp next weekend (May 9-12) and some OTAs after that."

Burkhead admitted the past 48 hours has been "a wild ride with the draft and this." But he wouldn't have missed it. He was there because of Jack, the seven-year-old he befriended nearly two years ago early in Hoffman's battle with brain cancer.

Jack wanted to meet his favorite Cornhusker and Burkhead did more than that when they met. He got Jack involved with the football team and it culminated in Jack's 69-yard touchdown run in the recent spring game. That's how the Obamas heard about Jack's plight and asked for a visit.

"It was just great to see Jack interact with the president and the knowledge the president had of the situation," Burkhead said. "He saw the touchdown on ESPN's Top Ten Plays.  The visit is really going to give pediatric brain cancer more awareness and that's the goal of Jack, his family and the Nebraska football team's Uplifting Athletes chapter."

Burkhead, the 2012 Uplifting Athletes Rare Disease Champion, plans to bring Jack to Cincinnati at some point to meet his new football family. Meanwhile, the leader of the free world is watching.

"He told me he'd be on the lookout and wished me the best of luck," Burkhead said. "Hopefully I'll be back if we win the Super Bowl. I wish I told him that, but there just wasn't enough time."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Burkheads-Bengals-debut-presidential-/7f39cd62-4f89-409a-b0c8-296cec9baee7?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Archived