2013 Opponents Thread

I completely agree. The coach and all the players knew what was coming and couldn't stop it. FUCKING BROWNS

You know, even as it looked pretty simple for the browns to close out the win, something told me they wouldn't. It's nice that there is still an Ohio team that can carry the torch from the 90s. I have a cousin and several friends that weren't very nice about football during the 90s and quite frankly they deserve the shit show they are stuck with right now.

How bad have the Browns been?  In the last 10 years counting this year they are 51-106 (32.5%) .  We are 80-77 (51%)

In the 90s we won 33.1% of our games, they won 36.6% to include the 2-14 year in 1999 (first one back).  Nope, we super sucked in the 90s.

If you use Baltimore's record in the 90s to fill in the gaps, they had 1 additional lose but they were 8-8 in 1999 versus the NEW Browns at 2-14 in 1999.

Whats this all mean....the Browns have sucked for 2 fucking decades yet the press never ever shit on them as much as they did us.

Better still, since 1990, the Browns have had 3 winning seasons to include the Baltimore fill in the gap years and have made the playoffs twice.  We have had 6 winning seasons including this one, 5 of them in the last 9 years.

I don't think that bs. If that were our guy we would be bitching if it wasn't called,imo

:facepalm:

that would be the sign of a very desperate fan. if you want to put yourself in that category, fine, go for it. but if you're an honest, unbiased student of the game, there's not any way you can legitimately call that PI. looking at that replay, i'd be ashamed telling anyone i entertained that thought.

that would be the sign of a very desperate fan. if you want to put yourself in that category, fine, go for it. but if you're an honest, unbiased student of the game, there's not any way you can legitimately call that PI. looking at that replay, i'd be ashamed telling anyone i entertained that thought.

Completely agree.  Fact is, if you want to call it by the letter of the rule, it was as much OPI as DPI since the receiver and DB were hand-fighting through the 5-yard contact area through to the catch.  The correct call in that situation is to keep the flag in your pocket since there was no egregious contact by either player beyond that.

I agree with you

PI has been subjective for over a decade.

No matter how many football 101 degrees you have on your wall, lol. There was basis for the call.

Doesn't make it a good one. Not shocking either.

Lot of it has do with going in favor of Pats.

CB was beat, ball reasonably on target, contact.

Tough shit Cleveland you suck.

Nah. I think it's pretty easy for fans to be fair about calling plays.  The game thread has a lot of us calling them the other way -- against us -- if that's how we see it. Of course, this weekend we happened to be the beneficiary of some pretty blatant shit (as an aside, I seem to be noticing plays going our way more and more lately; a sign of ref bias toward successful teams?). 

The calls are getting so bad, league wide, that is really is starting to affect the integrity of the game.  If we get to a place where that's not dependable, no one is going to have fun watching these things any more. 

You want to win a championship without it being tainted, just as you don't want to have a ludicrous call rob you of winning it all.

Stealer fans are fine with a tainted SB ring...but, of course, the Seattle SB game was officiated correctly and perfectly.

PI has been subjective for over a decade.

No matter how many football 101 degrees you have on your wall, lol. There was basis for the call.

Doesn't make it a good one. Not shocking either.

Lot of it has do with going in favor of Pats.

CB was beat, ball reasonably on target, contact.

Tough shit Cleveland you suck.

there's no need for me to make a fool out of you, you're doing an excellent job of that on your own.

carry on!

The score was 26-14 with 2:43 left when Brady got the ball on his own 18.  The Browns let him score in less that 1:30 seconds completing long passes down the middle twice and only burning 1 time out (their last one)  They then failed to cover an onside kick and watching it again, their special teams simply looked clueless.   

One bad call we can debate about, Cleveland's incompetence is not a debatable issue.

Nah. I think it's pretty easy for fans to be fair about calling plays.  The game thread has a lot of us calling them the other way -- against us -- if that's how we see it. Of course, this weekend we happened to be the beneficiary of some pretty blatant shit (as an aside, I seem to be noticing plays going our way more and more lately; a sign of ref bias toward successful teams?). 

The calls are getting so bad, league wide, that is really is starting to affect the integrity of the game.  If we get to a place where that's not dependable, no one is going to have fun watching these things any more. 

You want to win a championship without it being tainted, just as you don't want to have a ludicrous call rob you of winning it all.

Ironically, I was thinking about that right after the overturned call on BJGE's run. During the under-the-hood deliberation, I was thinking that there was no way in hell that could not be called down at the one, and why in the world (other than formality) they were reviewing it. When it did overturn (to my shock), I thought "we must be in the Top 10 now--the league is for us".

It isn't ref bias...it is league bias. Just like the NBA...you can almost script 4th quarters anymore in any game.  

You are like the league of shadows for football, professor.

roll the tape. that's really all that needs to be said.

but if you REALLY need more take mike pereira's viewpoint. knowing you, even his opinion of the play is not enough to help you realize how faulty your thinking is. you'll still keep arguing to the contrary.

The officiating was so awful during the game between the Cleveland Browns and the New England Patriots that Mike Pereira, the former NFL vice president of officiating now employed by FOX, went on Foxsports.com to say officials working the game between the Browns and Patriots blew it Sunday, writes Jeff Schudel in The News-Herald.

The worst call, writes Schudel, was when the officials called pass interference on Leon McFadden one play before Tom Brady threw the winning touchdown pass.

“McFadden and Boyce were hand-fighting down the field,” Pereira wrote. “There was not enough contact for defensive pass interference to be called.”

Big deal. Eric wright on nfl network said it could have been called although didn't like the call.

Not even the point really. There was some basis for the call.

I was at the bengals game then had to go to basketball games following. I had heard about the call and this horrible error. When I saw it, it didn't match the description of error.

Any student,lol knows PI is subjective and given the position of the DB it wasn't a shock to me it got a flag. Still isn't.

Also a very big point is if this occurred against Browns last week vs. jags. No one gives a fuck and shrugs. But it involves the Pats therefore a whole different perspective of cheating an injustice.

Mike Pereria when employed by the league never saw a wrong call, lol

Big deal. Eric wright on nfl network said it could have been called although didn't like the call.

Not even the point really. There was some basis for the call.

I was at the bengals game then had to go to basketball games following. I had heard about the call and this horrible error. When I saw it, it didn't match the description of error.

Any student,lol knows PI is subjective and given the position of the DB it wasn't a shock to me it got a flag. Still isn't.

Also a very big point is if this occurred against Browns last week vs. jags. No one gives a fuck and shrugs. But it involves the Pats therefore a whole different perspective of cheating an injustice.

Mike Pereria when employed by the league never saw a wrong call, lol

mike pereira former vice president of officiating for the NFL is wrong, and little sharm is right.

no surprise, i saw that bullshit coming from a mile away! :lmao:

but if you REALLY need more take mike pereira's viewpoint. knowing you, even his opinion of the play is not enough to help you realize how faulty your thinking is. you'll still keep arguing to the contrary.

I think you've got that one wrong.

The Browns and Jags are like a tree falling in the woods. How could anyone care about what they'd never see or know about - never mind the fact that the game and its outcome would be utterly meaningless.

The Pats, on the other hand, was the game that went the latest in that time slot so the whole country was watching - and it had direct playoff implications for the AFC because of the Pats involvement.

So yeah, the more the game matters the more visible it's going to be and the more people are going to react to it.

It's called human nature.  But then I guess that's beneath you too...

Pass interference is one of those calls that you can never get right honestly. I don't even know what fucking pass interference is anymore. 

Well according to section 3, article IIb:  A defensive player shall not hinder the ability of a receiver to catch a thrown pass with physical contact while the ball is in flight.  Furthermore, any player caught near or around the receiver of a team deemed a larger TV  draw hence larger revenue producer near playoff time shall not make an attempt to defend said receiver or interference shall be called. The list of the chosen teams is locked in the Commissioner's safe and their identities to be known to the proper officiating crew by kick-off of qualifying games.

Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Pass interference is one of those calls that you can never get right honestly. I don't even know what fucking pass interference is anymore. 

Someone said it here or elsewhere yesterday, but the standard for calls in this game should be if it's not obvious, it shouldn't be called.  Refs are over-officiating and determining the outcomes of games more than they should.  The problem is the subjectivity of the calls, and the inability of the league to create baseline standards and uniform application (look no further than to the Unnecessary Roughness penalties of late).  I don't care if it slows the game down even more, they might want to institute a rule that penalties of 15 yards or more should get approved by the league office (which is where it sounds like instant replay is going and something I'm in full support of).

Well according to section 3, article IIb:  A defensive player shall not hinder the ability of a receiver to catch a throw pass with physical contact while the ball is in flight.  Furthermore, any player caught near or around the receiver of a team deemed a larger TV  draw hence larger revenue producer near playoff time shall not make an attempt to defend said receiver or interference shall be called. The list of the chosen teams is locked in the Commissioner's safe and their identities to be known to the proper officiating crew by kick-off of qualifying games.

Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

:21:

Someone said it here or elsewhere yesterday, but the standard for calls in this game should be if it's not obvious, it shouldn't be called.  Refs are over-officiating and determining the outcomes of games more than they should.  The problem is the subjectivity of the calls, and the inability of the league to create baseline standards and uniform application (look no further than to the Unnecessary Roughness penalties of late).  I don't care if it slows the game down even more, they might want to institute a rule that penalties of 15 yards or more should get approved by the league office (which is where it sounds like instant replay is going and something I'm in full support of).

I like that idea a lot actually. Before you suggested that I was going to say to suspend the ref and no pay but I like your idea better. 

Archived