The Good, The Bad, The Ugly -Packers

they really seemed to have trouble with Green Bay's blitz packages for a bit.  Too many free rushers got in today.

They have struggled against the blitz all season. Clearly when the opponent blitzes and has to play man-to-man, they want to get the ball to Green. But so far Green has been slow to recognize the blitz and adjust his route accordingly. It makes Dalton look like he missed him badly, but it reads like Green isn't making the proper adjustments.

Yeah I didnt think he played great and made some bad plays, but when the guy has a passer rating over 100, completes over 70 percent of his passes, and leads a team to a comeback victory over one of the best teams in the NFL and all the sudden he had a "very bad game". Meh whatever.

Rogers picks were worse plays than anything andy did today (although the one pick was bad but I thought aj could have made a better play on the ball).

yea, he was by no means great today, but if you're grading him, he was at worst a C+.  

Whether it was him or the oline, the main issue on offense seemed to be blitz pickup assignments.  The game flipped when Clay Matthews got hurt.

Also for those not at the game, the wind was blowing fairly hard at times. Nuge missing that 52 yarder wasnt that bad. Id say most kickers hit that maybe 40-50 percent of the time max.

I was wondering what was going on.  On the fumbled kickoff, he only got it to like the 3, then kicked it out of the same endzone 2 minutes later.

Made me wonder if they kicked it short on purpose knowing the guy struggled fielding kicks.

They have struggled against the blitz all season. Clearly when the opponent blitzes and has to play man-to-man, they want to get the ball to Green. But so far Green has been slow to recognize the blitz and adjust his route accordingly. It makes Dalton look like he missed him badly, but it reads like Green isn't making the proper adjustments.

nah they picked up blitzes great the first 2 games.  no sacks against the steelers, and against the Bears Dalton literally wasn't touched until the 4th quarter.

nah they picked up blitzes great the first 2 games.  no sacks against the steelers, and against the Bears Dalton literally wasn't touched until the 4th quarter.

No, I wasn't talking about the offensive line picking up the blitzes. Only to the QB and receivers adjusting passes and routes to the blitzes. Until they do a better job of converting against the blitzes, I would expect we will see blitz packages become a staple for the opponents. The Bengals need to make an adjustment, then the opponents will need to make an adjustment to that. But until then? Blitzes galore.

I paid attention to Geno dude gets doubled teamed every single play allowing Dunlap and MJ one on one.

This. Those of you who are fretting over Geno need only know that all of that contact our ends are getting is happening because teams are over-compensating with him. Pretty soon someone will make the mistake of thinking our ends are the problem, and Geno will eat someone's ball sack.

The good --- the defense. All heart, all fight! #25 also gets props.
The bad --- the offense and special teams. They better buy the defense dinner.
The ugly --- Dalton. Yes, he made a few plays but he was very bad. Over throws, behind guys, locking on and not recognizing defenses.

I dont know what game you were watching but last I checked Dalton was 20-28 for 2TD's and 1 Int. The pick could have been prevented by AJ had he shown more awareness. Dalton is not Tom Brady, but he played a damn good game in the 2nd half today. He is nowhere near the ugly list.

My Ex-Father-in-law, as expected, was talking ish and calling us the B-ungles, all on my FB page...  So I got off the board here, closed my computer and watched the 4th Quarter.....  

This was an amazing game:  

o Good Andre Smith (I'm giving him props, because i forgot to do it last week.. He's playing really well

o Defense... (Even though they gashed us on the run, we played nickel all game) To only give up 3 FGs on 4 TOs....  amazing

o  Gio...... Nuff said......  this dude is a star!

No, I wasn't talking about the offensive line picking up the blitzes. Only to the QB and receivers adjusting passes and routes to the blitzes. Until they do a better job of converting against the blitzes, I would expect we will see blitz packages become a staple for the opponents. The Bengals need to make an adjustment, then the opponents will need to make an adjustment to that. But until then? Blitzes galore.

I agree with you both, if that's possible.

My one concern so far is that I feel like Dalton isn't doing everything he can to help take some of that pressure off of him. He still isn't using misdirection and his eyes quite as much (and it's notable that the pump fake again resulted in long TD to green), but he's still getting a little rattled a little early by the blitzes and then it is affecting his decision making somewhat.

He scrambles a heartbeat before he needs to, and sometimes he takes the sack when he has time to just whip the ball out of bounds. It was notable, however, how much more time he had on our two late TD drives. Two things were happening then:

1) we were feeding the ball underneath to Gio, both running and passing - and the Pack couldn't contain him.
2) The blocking simply got better.

Those two are interrelated, but it's night and day with Dalton when he has time. One thing I noticed early and commented on in the game thread is that there were a number of plays in there where even though he was getting rid of the ball almost immediately he was still getting pressured.

I have a feeling that a lot of what we are seeing IS what 1181 is saying, though, and his hot routes are often not going hot - and so leaving Andy Dalton out in the cold.

I dont know what game you were watching but last I checked Dalton was 20-28 for 2TD's and 1 Int. The pick could have been prevented by AJ had he shown more awareness. Dalton is not Tom Brady, but he played a damn good game in the 2nd half today. He is nowhere near the ugly list.

Dalton WAS inaccurate in the early going and to say otherwise is just as wrong as to say that he was money. Furthermore, it's almost impossible to think that the INT to Green was on AJ, as that would have been a very strange route. Andy was just a bit off, I think. If anyone hears anything in post game about it please post, because it was pretty clearly just a pass that was slightly off.

Still, major Kudos to Andy for stepping up when it was time. And major kudos to our O-Line and/or Gruden for figuring out how to get him more time down the stretch...

Sorry to disagree. He doesn't recognize defenses very well causing his own sacks and pressure situations. On one sack all could clearly see before the snap where the pressure was coming from and Dalton never saw it and never adjusted. That sack was 100% his fault.

He over throws, under throws and throws behind guys way to often. He locks on to receivers and gets happy feet. He doesn't secure the ball under pressure and again had a fumble. He lack of arm strength requires accuracy. If Troy Aikman sees it and comments on it and talked about how it was the same in the Pitt game. I see it, why can't you?

I truly hope the guy is a long term answer but there are still more question marks than answers.

Sorry to disagree. He doesn't recognize defenses very well causing his own sacks and pressure situations. On one sack all could clearly see before the snap where the pressure was coming from and Dalton never saw it and never adjusted.

He over throws, under throws and throws behind guys way to often. He locks on to receivers and gets happy feet. He doesn't secure the ball under pressure and again had a fumble. Troy Aikman sees it and comments on it and talked about how it was the same in the Pitt game. I see it, why can't you?

I truly hope the guy is a long term answer but there are still more question marks than answers.

then how has he completed over 70% in two of three games this season?

Aikman was also all over Newman all game, who had 2 of the biggest plays of the game.

Still feels good.

This team has to clean up the fumbles.  That was unbelievably awful today.  Just not acceptable. Also, special teams was so bad.  For a unit that was so good last year to have so many miscues and penalties is weird.  Some a little flukey, but I'd focus on that a little more during the week.  I don't think we have won the field position battle yet this year.  I felt like we were winning it quite a bit last year.  Clean it up.  

And to add to it, more carries to 25.  Dude is electric and I love the way he brings the party to the defended instead of just going down.

This team showed a lot of character today.  It takes a lot to swing the pendulum when momentum is going so far against them.  Hope they can build off it.

Archived