The Good, The Bad, The Ugly -Packers

The Good: Dalton's poise to strike back and make it 30-21

Playmaking from Hall and Newman

D-Line heroics

The Bad: Turnovers

The Ugly: The emotional fragility of long-time Bengals fans. Tougher for me to watch than 4 turnovers.

It's a crazy game...Just watch and see what happens.

BZ

That was absolutely MJ that knocked the ball out of Franklins hands on the Newman TD.

Is that what people are arguing? Its clear as day that its MJ. Rey doesnt even come into the frame until well after the fumble.

it was bang bang.  The fumble was caused by MJ's helmet, but Maualuga's hand was about 6 inches away from the ball when the fumble happened.  From the back view it would be easy to think it was caused by Maualuga.  

fumble_zpsd1715d62.png

Random...I think my favorite pass of the game was the long pass to Marvin Jones on the go ahead TD drive. That was a thing of beauty. Great route and great throw.

agreed, and IMO it was ever a better play design than throw.  I think they need to do more schemed stuff like that, that are designed to create holes like that.

The good...

D-Line - From hits, to sacks, to tipped passes. Carlos and MJ are just killing it, and the interior players are quietly doing solid work.

CB's - I thought keeping the Packer WR's from gaining YAC was a key to the game, and damned if they didn't do it splendidly. Might be one of the best tackling groups in the NFL.  

Taylor Mays - Solid coverage throughout and his fumble recovery on the early KO should have set the tone for the rest of the game.

Mo Sanu - Played like a solid #2 is supposed to play.

Gio - I worry he can't handle the role of bell cow, but worries aside...they've got to double his number of touches and give him more opportunites in the passing game.

Marvin - Challenging the spot turned out to be the play of the game. Best, after surrendering 30 straight points the Bengals never gave up, and that's a sign of good coaching.

The bad...

Ghost - Last week it was a storm of penalties. This week it was a familiar reminder of another of Gresham's worst habits. Fumbling. All things considered it was another unrequired reminder about how it's going to be tough for Gresham to retain his beast-like focus for 16 weeks.

The ugly...

Ball security - Sunday's fluke performance doesn't really feel like a fluke performance coming so soon after the Bear game.

Killer instinct - Granted, the story of the game is the way the Bengals never gave up. That said, this team might be at it's worst whenever it attempts to deliver a knockout blow.

WifeOnFire - Woke up Sunday morning and said she wasn't going to wait until Sundays game against the Browns to decide whether she was sticking with the Browns. Instead, she decided to toss 'em to the curb long before the kickoff. Then she grabbed a piece of my Bengal gear, a sleeveless t-shirt, and slipped it on over her dress. Frankly, the combination looked ridiculous...so I demanded she remove her dress. That helped tremendously, but I still spent the entire weekend attempting to adjust to the brand new Bengal fan now prowling around my house. In fact, I had more trouble adjusting to the change than she did.

it was bang bang.  The fumble was caused by MJ's helmet, but Maualuga's hand was about 6 inches away from the ball when the fumble happened.  From the back view it would be easy to think it was caused by Maualuga.  

fumble_zpsd1715d62.png

I'm pretty sure mjs head knocks it out but Rey still made contact with the ball after it came out popping it out to the right of the runner to where Reggie picked it up.

The good...

D-Line - From hits, to sacks, to tipped passes. Carlos and MJ are just killing it, and the interior players are quietly doing solid work.

CB's - I thought keeping the Packer WR's from gaining YAC was a key to the game, and damned if they didn't do it splendidly. Might be one of the best tackling groups in the NFL.  

Taylor Mays - Solid coverage throughout and his fumble recovery on the early KO should have set the tone for the rest of the game.

Mo Sanu - Played like a solid #2 is supposed to play.

Gio - I worry he can't handle the role of bell cow, but worries aside...they've got to double his number of touches and give him more opportunites in the passing game.

Marvin - Challenging the spot turned out to be the play of the game. Best, after surrendering 30 straight points the Bengals never gave up, and that's a sign of good coaching.

The bad...

Ghost - Last week it was a storm of penalties. This week it was a familiar reminder of another of Gresham's worst habits. Fumbling. All things considered it was another unrequired reminder about how it's going to be tough for Gresham to retain his beast-like focus for 16 weeks.

The ugly...

Ball security - Sunday's fluke performance doesn't really feel like a fluke performance coming so soon after the Bear game.

Killer instinct - Granted, the story of the game is the way the Bengals never gave up. That said, this team might be at it's worst whenever it attempts to deliver a knockout blow.

WifeOnFire - Woke up Sunday morning and said she wasn't going to wait until Sundays game against the Browns to decide whether she was sticking with the Browns. Instead, she decided to toss 'em to the curb long before the kickoff. Then she grabbed a piece of my Bengal gear, a sleeveless t-shirt, and slipped it on over her dress. Frankly, the combination looked ridiculous...so I demanded she remove her dress. That helped tremendously, but I still spent the entire weekend attempting to adjust to the brand new Bengal fan now prowling around my house. In fact, I had more trouble adjusting to the change than she did.

good for you, hair!

Did you guys notice that Jermaine Gresham's fumble really wasn't a fumble! He was down already when the ball came out. He was very frustrated on the sideline that Marvin didn't challenge that. I know we won but I was very upset at that at the time. From the angle that I saw it was not a fumble.

Did you guys notice that Jermaine Gresham's fumble really wasn't a fumble! He was down already when the ball came out. He was very frustrated on the sideline that Marvin didn't challenge that. I know we won but I was very upset at that at the time. From the angle that I saw it was not a fumble.

I thought it had already started moving on the top of his hip before the was down.  We needed to save our challenge for the planned "let them score 30, then come back and run a fumble back on a 4th down after a challenge.

That's what I thought from the scoreboard replay as well. But a couple people since have told me it was a fumble.

I thought it had already started moving on the top of his hip before the was down.

Agreed.

Nothing good to say about any fumble, especially one for Ghost, but after a win like that I don't feel like piling on.

So, if you're reading this Jermaine, props for trying to get every inch out of the play, I guess.

Stay positive. Stiff upper lip. Eyes front.  

(sigh)

Archived