Browns Week Notes

Really excited the Browns put all that on tape a week ahead of our having to play them. They threw the ball 54 times against Minnesota. That should help Zim know where to focus in prep. They were a little bit of an offensive unknown with Richardson gone. Apparently they will want to throw. 

I think this game actually sets up nicely for us to blow them out for once. They won a game on the strength of some ridiculous special teams plays and throwing the ball a million times. So their confidence will be irrationally high, after a few times getting smacked around by MJ and Dunlap I doubt Hoyer will feel so good. I have a feeling our secondary is going to be a little bit better than Minnesota's as well. Much rather have a bad team coming off a win than coming off a string of losses.

I think this game actually sets up nicely for us to blow them out for once. They won a game on the strength of some ridiculous special teams plays and throwing the ball a million times. So their confidence will be irrationally high, after a few times getting smacked around by MJ and Dunlap I doubt Hoyer will feel so good. I have a feeling our secondary is going to be a little bit better than Minnesota's as well. Much rather have a bad team coming off a win than coming off a string of losses.

as long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over, I feel pretty good about the game.

Really excited the Browns put all that on tape a week ahead of our having to play them. They threw the ball 54 times against Minnesota. That should help Zim know where to focus in prep. They were a little bit of an offensive unknown with Richardson gone. Apparently they will want to throw. 

Agree. They should've saved their gadget plays for a week to use against a divisional rival at home. Hopefully our D will play like they're playing Aaron Rodgers again. The turds were one dimensional on Sunday. With the exception of 3 gadget plays, they ran the ball 14 times for a total of 20 some yards. Zim won't lose to Norv given the talent they have to work with.

as long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over, I feel pretty good about the game.

This.

How do you feel about our special teams giving us good field position ?  I realize some of it does not fall back on special teams but it is stuck in my head how bad of field position we have had lately.  I'd like one game where field position is normal or above average...

How do you feel about our special teams giving us good field position ?  I realize some of it does not fall back on special teams but it is stuck in my head how bad of field position we have had lately.  I'd like one game where field position is normal or above average...

I disagree.  Special Teams was great against the Bears.  Against Pittsburgh there was only really 1, maybe 2 returns to be concerned about.  Green Bay only averaged 10.5yds per KICKOFF, plus it seems the fumble on the kickoff may have been a designed short kick.  Further, Green Bay had 0 punt return yards.

Starting field position for the offense isn't always on special teams, but rather on how the defense and offense does prior to it, and sometimes just a matter of circumstance.

I disagree.  Special Teams was great against the Bears.  Against Pittsburgh there was only really 1, maybe 2 returns to be concerned about.  Green Bay only averaged 10.5yds per KICKOFF, plus it seems the fumble on the kickoff may have been a designed short kick.  Further, Green Bay had 0 punt return yards.

Starting field position for the offense isn't always on special teams, but rather on how the defense and offense does prior to it, and sometimes just a matter of circumstance.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/

On Kickoffs the Bengals are ranked 20th

On Field Goals the Bengals are ranked 31st

On Punt Returns the Bengals are ranked 17th

On Punt Returns  the Bengals opponents are ranked 6th

On Kick Returns the Bengals are ranked 15th

On Kickoffs the Bengals opponents are ranked 11th

In other words, we may not be " BAD " but our opponents are always better.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/

On Kickoffs the Bengals are ranked 20th

On Field Goals the Bengals are ranked 31st

On Punt Returns the Bengals are ranked 17th

On Punt Returns  the Bengals opponents are ranked 6th

On Kick Returns the Bengals are ranked 15th

On Kickoffs the Bengals opponents are ranked 11th

In other words, we may not be " BAD " but our opponents are always better.

that's a pretty small sample size though.  One missed FG gets you ranked 31st.  

I also think you have some of those backwards.  opponent kickoff returns, teams are 22nd, so the bengals coverage is ranked 11th, not their opponents.  

Further, while the Bengals punt coverage may rank 17th, they've only given up 38 total yards, and they gave up 40 on Antonio Browns first one.  That means the other 3 returns they've given up have gone for -2yds combined. One return skews the whole thing.  

The Vikings have the 28th ranked defense after 3 games.  This after playing the Lions, Bears and Browns.  Our defense is WAY better than Minnesota's.

The Browns have given up 14 sacks to our 5.    

On paper we should terrorize their new QB but it is Cleveland.

Hopefully it will improve.  From the radio broadcast Simmon's units have suffered the most turnover in the young season.   I think something like 6 starters. 

Caught hell for minivan. Bought a minivan. Had to spend $800 on breakfast for veterans once. $100 on candy for the running backs. Brother is his idol. Said GB game was most fun he's had. All the uncertainty was wild. Raji was talking a lot of trash. Clay Matthews quiet. AJ took his shots, and talked a bunch. He gave Gio a cheap shove on a pass play to the other side of the field. It was the Marvin Jones touchdown... Loves the game, but understands it's his job.

Exercise sports science major to understand his body and stay in the league a long time.

Archived