2013-14 TV Season

Go Skins

and you gotta give credit to the writers, those final scenes with the kids, judging by pictures of the actors, were filmed AT LEAST 5 years ago.

I thought I read somewhere that the final scene w/the kids was filmed the day the pilot was shot, so the writers knew that far back how they would end the series, in case they had to end it after season 1, 2, 5, whatever. 

it's getting crushed on Twitter, and hasn't even aired on the West Coast.

I have mixed emotions honestly.  I saw the first surprise coming, as we had theorized, and still hoped I'd be wrong.  As for the 2 that split, I'm kind of disappointed with it, but what they did with his character development over the hour IMO made it worth it.  

I think my wife has it right that [spoiler] less people would have an issue with the wife dying if they had had more time to show Ted grieving over it.[/spoiler]

There were some simply great moments throughout the hour though.  The reception and train station scenes were just fantastic, and there was the nice moment at the house with the 6 of them. Also the rooftop.

Your wife is dead on with what people wanted, amongst other things.

It was interesting to see Twitter blow up last night over this. 

I think the writers upset a lot of people.  This last season was poorly done, they shouldn't have spent 90% of the season and Barney and Robin's wedding.  We never find out what attracted Ted to Tracy (mom) to begin with. 

I thought the ending was ok to HIMYM. I was fine with how the story lines played out. I just felt like they tried to cram a bunch of stuff in the one hour finale and I was left wanting a little bit more in certain parts. If they would have had maybe two one hour finales and expanded on some stuff a little bit, it might have been better.

yea I wish it had been a 90 minute finale.  I don't know if they could have put it in 2 separate weeks, as if you do the split the first week, everyone will see the ending coming.

I think it needed more time, but needed to all be on the same night.

The more I think about it the more I'm kind of disappointed with how things ended up.  Not all of it, but some of it.

[spoiler] nothing wrong with any of the Marshall/Lilly stuff.  And while I think Robin and Barney should have gotten their happy ending, I loved what they did with Barney in the episode.  

I'm even fine with the mother dying.  Robin and Ted ending up together though, there's just something that doesn't seem fulfilling about that, even though it's been in play since the Pilot episode.[/spoiler]

I thought I read somewhere that the final scene w/the kids was filmed the day the pilot was shot, so the writers knew that far back how they would end the series, in case they had to end it after season 1, 2, 5, whatever. 

it definitely wasn't shot during the Pilot.  The kids are definitely older, but they're still much younger than the Comic-Con video they shot last summer.  They're also wearing different clothes.

Pilot episode:

the-kids.jpg

Finale: 

himym-series-finale-16.jpg?w=514

Comicon July 2013

couch_vfx_v1.0927b.jpg

If I had to guess, it was shot in the Season 3 range when they thought they might get cancelled.  I wasn't watching the show then, but I watched an interview the other day about how they nearly got cancelled after Season 3, and I know it was dicey for the new few seasons after that as well.

I'm sure sometime this week it will be revealed exactly when it was filmed.

Your wife is dead on with what people wanted, amongst other things.

It was interesting to see Twitter blow up last night over this. 

I think the writers upset a lot of people.  This last season was poorly done, they shouldn't have spent 90% of the season and Barney and Robin's wedding.  We never find out what attracted Ted to Tracy (mom) to begin with. 

I have no problem with the season being done completely the wedding weekend.  I thought they pulled it off incredibly well, and weaved the past and future in well to make it work.  Hell, they pulled off an entire episode in the span of a slap.

And I don't get what you mean about Ted and the mom.  I thought they did great about showing how they met, and fell in love.  They also did quite well in developing their relationship before they even met with the early season episode when he was dating Cindy (the roommate), comments by the narrator throughout the series about what they loved about each other(she plays bass, the muffin song, etc...), and her even buying him a drink before they even met.  It was an incredibly well woven series of events portraying their destiny to end up together.  

they said they shot that final scene with the kids in 2005

Which is when the series originally started (Sept 19th to be exact, thanks Wiki).  Some people are saying the final scene was shot during season 2.

Everyone seems to think the pineapple mystery is part of the bonus footage.  I also read the original cut was almost 80 minutes, and of course, it was cut down to what we saw last night.  Maybe they should have gone the "Friends" angle and gone over an hour. 

Anyone watching Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey?  I'm enjoying it immensely, although the science is a bit dumbed down.

I enjoy it too. I think it's complicated enough for the common viewer, my girlfriend for example had a couple WTF moments in the last episode that was talking about spacetime and folding space/time. She also had a hard time grasping why time passes slower for objects in motion, even though I thought it was explained well enough.

Remember, the primary goal of the show is to get Joe Schmoe interested in Science again and sell the importance of scientific discovery and evidence based deductions.

In the wake of the outcry, series cocreator Craig Thomas took to Twitter Monday night to sorta-defend the controversial climax. “The fact that we have been a TV sitcom that has received this much passion from fans, for 9 years (not just tonight) — thank you,” he wrote. “We wrote a comedy with dramatic elements till the very end… We did a finale about life’s twists and turns and that [what you expect] is not always what happens.

“Seriously – no matter what you thought of tonight, THANK YOU,” Thomas concluded. “You were with us. We love you. Thanks for this ride.”

http://tvline.com/2014/04/01/himym-finale-mother-dies-ted-robin-marry/#!2/himym-series-finale-07/

gerat piece on tvguide.com today.

SPOILERS

Was this a legendary finale? No. The last 10 minutes were rushed, and the kids' reactions were sort of bizarre. It's en vogue to complain about HIMYM these days, or rather, the past several years. The show wasn't perfect. No show that lasts almost a decade is. Parts of its later seasons were bumpier than Ted's collision with Bump Girl. And I don't disagree that nine years might have been too long for a show with such a focused conceit that was just asking for complaints. But the drawn-out reveal of The Mother, and her and Ted's meeting never bothered me, and the finale doesn't bother me.

HIMYM, to me, wasn't about The Mother, but about storytelling — not the what, but the how. How did Ted find that lucky penny? How did Crazy Eyes think a hunchback was following her? How did brunch with Ted's folks — my favorite episode — go awry? How did Ted meet The Mother? How did we get there? Any other show would tell a linear narrative and cut to the chase. HIMYM told it in a way no one on TV had before: the way we tell stories. We interject. We correct something we had just said 30 seconds ago. We throw in asides. We get distracted and start another story when someone asks us about something we had just said or because we realized you needed this extra detail to appreciate what we're telling you now. We tell a follow-up story two days later because something sparked our memory. We tell stories that we find interesting but others might not.

HIMYM brought how we tell tales to life. Three weeks ago, The Mother told Ted that he lived in his stories. We all do. We're made up of them. They shape who we are. That's how we get to know each other. You go into work on a Monday and ask your coworker how their weekend was. You go home and tell your family how your day was. You go on Twitter when something ridiculous happens and figure out how to explain it in 140 characters.

So Ted took a little longer than usual telling his. And he ended up with someone we might not all want him to be with. In the end, that's OK with me. Because Bays and Thomas told the story they wanted to tell, and I can respect that. Was it worth the wait? Like Ted's road to The Mother and Robin, sometimes it's about the journey, not the ending.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/How-I-Met-Your-Mother-HIMYM-Series-Finale-Recap-1079905.aspx

Which is when the series originally started (Sept 19th to be exact, thanks Wiki).  Some people are saying the final scene was shot during season 2.

Everyone seems to think the pineapple mystery is part of the bonus footage.  I also read the original cut was almost 80 minutes, and of course, it was cut down to what we saw last night.  Maybe they should have gone the "Friends" angle and gone over an hour. 

looks like they did go over a minute, but 1-2, or 4 lol, would have been nice.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-how-i-met-your-mother-finale-692548

really wish the HIMYM finale could have gone 90 minutes.  It looks like they cut a Robin Sparkles scene, the #31 reveal, Marshall and Lilly's bet resolution, and the Robin bullfighting story.  I imagine most of that makes the DVD.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/04/03/how-i-met-your-mother-finale-robin-sparkles/

Also, Bradley Cooper weighs in on the finale. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwer5w3pEzE

Anyone watch Silicon Valley.. New show on HBO that started Sunday night. 

Obviously about the tech boom in Silicon Valley.. it was pretty good, I'll keep watching.

TJ Miller is in it, that dude is hilarious.

Mike Judge wrote it too....

Do you and your eyeballs have what it takes to watch every episode of The Simpsons in a row? FXX has essentially issued that challenge, announcing Wednesday that it will air all 552 installments of the animated Fox comedy over a 12-day period, from Aug. 21 through Labor Day. In case you’re wondering, yes, there is an actual world record for longest continuous television viewing, and it’s held by a pair of California residents,who consumed 86 hours and 37 minutes of Springfield high jinks during a Fox-sponsored event two years ago.

In a splashy move, the fledgling FXX acquired the off-network rights to The Simpsonslast year. FXX is planning to air a four-hour block of reruns every Sunday, and in addition to showing all episodes (except for the ones airing in the current season on Fox) on the network, it will make them available on the app FXNOW.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/09/fxx-simpsons-marathon/

so apparently I get these channels called Epix 1,2,3 etc...  It's no HBO/Showtime, but for channels that come with my cable package, they play some good stuff.  I just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness, which came out less than a year ago.  They're also showing The Avengers (2012) and The Expendables 2 (2012) this weekend. Their website is also promoting Pain & Gain (2013), Mud (2012), World War Z, 

None of those movies will reach cable for at least another year.

Edit:  ahh, it looks like Time Warner is offering it free for a limited time from 3/18/14-6/18/14.  Looks like if you have Digital Basic Cable or higher, you're getting it at the moment.

Archived