Bryan Price hired as next manager

BigDawgBengal

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/reds-expected-to-name-bryan-price-as-manager.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Reds have chosen Bryan Price as the club's new manager just over two weeks after firing six-year skipper Dusty Baker. Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported that Price was expected to be named by the club tomorrow (via Twitter), with Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweeting shortly thereafter that Price had in fact been hired.

Price, previously the team's pitching coach, had been rumored to be one of two leading candidates (along with Jim Riggleman) to take the helm in Cinci. Despite two division titles and three post-season berths in the past four seasons under Baker, the decision was made to part ways after Baker apparently told the front office that blame should fall on his shoulders rather than those of his hitting coach. According to C. Trent Rosecrans of the Enquirer, Price has been a well-regarded keeper of the club's arms and would become one of only a handful of current MLB managers who never played in the bigs.

I feel a lot better about this hiring after listening to him talk on the radio with Mo Egger about not being afraid to confront players with accountability, and also not being so overly concerned with the L-R-L-R type batting orders and micromanaging pitching. And also he mentioned how the Reds struggled at times to score, mentioned the poor baserunning...I like it. he threw Dusty under the bus in a sense, without actually doing so. He mentioned it being a philosophical change and that's exactly what this teams needs going into next season.

Why would it be? I don't see as how we're losing any significant players for a lack of money except possibly Choo and Bailey.

That would be pretty significant considering we are going to be fighting for a WC with STL/Pit and Wash/ATL.

Think about it.  Our best run scorer and a number two pitcher on most teams.  Thats HUGE.  Arroyo as well, who is an innings eater. 

We are going to be left with two injury prone pitchers in Cueto and Cingrani, one who might be on an innings count in Chapman, a streaky one in Leake and the teams ace in Latos.  Hope it turns out better than it sounds.

You guys are assuming we trade bailey. And IF we do, we should get major league ready talet in return to fill some of our holes.

But what I would do is trade Phillips and Bailey. Get a major league ready 2b and 3b. Maybe not superstars but guys that can come in and be solid players. Depending who we get maybe prospects too. Use the money we aren't paying Phillips and Bailey to resign choo.

If possible, do a salary dump of ludwick too. Even if we have to pay a little to do that.

You guys are assuming we trade bailey. And IF we do, we should get major league ready talet in return to fill some of our holes.

But what I would do is trade Phillips and Bailey. Get a major league ready 2b and 3b. Maybe not superstars but guys that can come in and be solid players. Depending who we get maybe prospects too. Use the money we aren't paying Phillips and Bailey to resign choo.

If possible, do a salary dump of ludwick too. Even if we have to pay a little to do that.

pretty solid plan, doubt we can get rid of Ludwick as a salary dump though

Why do we need a 3rd Basement in that trade? Fraizer is pretty good imo.

I'd consider trading Homer if we move Chapman into the starting line up, but I'd want a left fielder and a closer in return.

:lol:

:)

I'd consider trading Homer if we move Chapman into the starting line up, but I'd want a left fielder and a closer in return.

3b and SS are pretty much the two areas we have an opportunity to improve the offense. Every other spot is either locked up or only going to get worse unless they somehow can dump Ludwick.

Frazier is a decent fielding 3b but bat is average or below. With Ludwick in lf he will start there unless we can dump his salary. Cf will be choo or billy. Rf, 1b, 2b (unless we trade BP), ss and Cather are all pretty much set. Only real chance to upgrade this offense is third base IMO.

On a typical baseball team there are usually 4 spots where your top run producing hitters are. It's usually lf, rf, 1b and 3b. Frazier at 3rd is prob the worst of the 4 (maybe better than Ludwick) but is also the cheapest of the 4. Making him the easiest to potentially upgrade.

Finally, think of all the starts hannahan, Paul, heisey, etc got last year. If you replace Todd as the starting 3b he can be a great bench guy and get all of those starts those other crappy guys used to get. He can back up almost every position. He would also be your number one RH pinch hitter.

He would still have great value on this team even if he wasn't the starting 3b.

3b and SS are pretty much the two areas we have an opportunity to improve the offense. Every other spot is either locked up or only going to get worse unless they somehow can dump Ludwick.

Cozart is actually a decent hitting and fielding ss. He's not going anywhere most likely.

I think they are going to have to move Homer.  They aren't going to be able to afford him and Latos both, anyways.  I think thats the situation we are facing, correct?  I have trouble understanding baseball FA.

I think they are going to have to move Homer.  They aren't going to be able to afford him and Latos both, anyways.  I think thats the situation we are facing, correct?  I have trouble understanding baseball FA.

Yes very unlikely they could afford both.

2 options probably.

1. Trade one now, sign the other at some point.
2. Play until about July see where we are at. If we are in the hunt and need them both to win it all, don't trade either and hope they both contribute to a ws. Risk losing at least one in free agency. If we aren't in the hunt, probably trade the one we aren't gonna sign.

I heard on the radio that Lincecum just got a two year deal for 35 fucking million dollars. There's no way we could pay Bailey that, and he's BETTER than Lincecum at this point. Jesus baseball contracts are out of control for pitchers. Just when it seemed like the era of 10 year, 200 million contracts were going away due to Pujols and such, now this shit. And it's sad that it's ALL guaranteed. I think MLB, the team owners and the Union need to revisit that issue. 

Archived