Miami Week Notes

Is DeQuin Evans good?  I can't remember.

On Hard Knocks players were talking about how quick his hands are, but that's about all I know.  Not very helpful.

He has good hands but can't really get to the quarterback.  He's likely highly competitive in rock/paper/scissors and thumb wrestling, but not so much at DE.  Honestly, I like the kid and all he's gone through, but don't see a spot on the 53 for him....  Does he have PS eligibility?  I thought he was on the active roster previously....

Miami/Cincinnati a year later:

Bengals:  

Add Gio, Eifert, emerging Marvin Jones

Lose Hall, Maualuga

Miami:

Add Ellerbe, Mike Wallace

Lose:  Jake Long, Davone Bess, Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby, Sean Smith

Also sounds like Cameron Wake is pretty banged up.

he'd be a decent #5 DE, probably nothing more.

I don't recall that he played STs… heck, he's never suited up for a real game. He's PS eligible again, though. I like his game, so I'd put him on the PS and go from there. 'Course, they just picked up a DE (David King) so they may like him more than DQ. If they bring up JK Schaffer, that'd leave another PS spot, too. 

My biggest concern this weeks centers around our ability to stop the run, what with lack of LB depth. Here are two interesting points from Miami about their loss last week which relate.  When Miami was running the ball in the first half they went up 17-3, averaged 5 ypc, and gave up 0 sacks. They abandoned the run game and gave up six sacks (and scored 0 points):

• It’s curious why Miami abandoned the running game in the second half. The Dolphins jumped out to a 17-3 lead at intermission behind a strong rushing attacked that gained 103 yards in the first half. Miami called 22 running plays in the first half, but only nine in the second. The Dolphins averaged 5.0 yards per carry throughout a close and competitive game. Therefore, there was no reason to completely abandon the run.
  • Ignoring the running game made Miami’s offense predictable and one-dimensional in the third and fourth quarters. That is the primary reason the Patriots registered all six sacks against Miami in the second half. Miami panicked and became pass-heavy after quickly blowing a 14-point halftime lead. Without the threat of the run, New England’s pass-rushers were able to pin their ears back and come after Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Miami struggled picking up New England’s various blitzes.

Miami/Cincinnati a year later:

Bengals:  

Add Gio, Eifert, emerging Marvin Jones

Lose Hall, Maualuga

Miami:

Add Ellerbe, Mike Wallace

Lose:  Jake Long, Davone Bess, Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby, Sean Smith

Also sounds like Cameron Wake is pretty banged up.

Wake was a load in last year's game… if he's hurt, that's a bonus. He hasn't gotten to the QB much this year (yet). 

Which Bengal scored the first points in the first matchup of the Bengals and Dolphins ?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196810200cin.htm

October 20, 1968

Harry James Gunner

Harry_Gunner.jpg

Point of order sir.....a safety is technically scored by the other team, not by the team receiving the points.  A player may cause a safety but they do not in fact get credit for scoring two points.  Therefore, my original post of Essex Johnson was correct.

The Bengals worked on a grass practice field across the street from Paul Brown Stadium in helmets Tuesday morning in preparation for Thursday's game (8:25 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 5 and NFL Network) in Miami.

Middle linebacker Rey Maualuga (knee, concussion) surfaced on crutches in the locker room and would appear to be out at least Thursday. His backup, Michael Boley (hamstring), didn't work Tuesday and neither did wide receiver Mohamed Sanu (shoulder) or right end Wallace Gilberry (knee)….

One matchup to watch Thursday is Bengals left end Carlos Dunlap vs. Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Tannehill has fumbled eight times this season and lost five and Dunlap has six career forced fumbles with his specialty quarterbacks. Dunlap has ranged from forcing fumbles against Washington's Robert Griffin III to Buffalo's Thad Lewis…

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Tuesday-quick-hits-Dunlap-on-loose/1d6876c7-eea5-4d3c-a84e-d56c0973c7ea

and in the "go out of your way to prove someone right" award:

Joe Reedy looked someone up on LinkedIn, called the guys boss, and tried to get him fired because he called Reedy a douche on twitter.

(and to be clear, Reedy has admitted to it, and has done it to seomeone else last year)

Joe Reedy looked someone up on LinkedIn, called the guys boss, and tried to get him fired because he called Reedy a douche on twitter.

(and to be clear, Reedy has admitted to it, and has done it to seomeone else last year)

Wow, that is impressively immature

#Dolphins HC Joe Philbin on #Bengals D: Mike Zimmer does a great job with that defense...they have a very strong D-Line. #SXMSports

#Dolphins HC Joe Philbin on Dalton: Andy has a big weapon In AJ Green..but he has done a nice job spreading the ball around. #CINvsMIA

#Dolphins HC Joe Philbin on Tannehill: Ryan has made some progress over last month of the season...protection still isn't good. #SXMSports

And if a boss actually fires someone for that the boss is an idiot.

Hey Reedy.... You're a Douche

Wow.  Is this really true?  And why would the Enquirer let him get away with something like that?  Real professional.

1. Marvin Lewis said the key to the Bengals success is turnovers (limiting them), and performing well on third downs.

Expand
  2. "If you take care of the football you have an opportunity to be successful," Marvin Lewis said explaining Bengals recent success.

Expand
  3. "The short week is the best thing for you in those situations. You focus on the new opponent," Marvin Lewis on Miami's 4-game losing streak.

Expand
  4. ..."Every time you go out there you play with more confidence," Lewis on Wake. "He's such a good player, explosive."

Expand
  5. "When you come back from a knee like he is it takes some time, and its important....

Expand
  6. "He's been what we hoped he'd be in every way, and he continues to do good things, and continue to grow," Marvin Lewis on Giovani Bernard.

Expand
  7. "We keep doing a great job around Andy and allow Andy to do his job," Marvin Lewis on Dalton. "The key is the QB playing care free"

Expand
  8. "I was impressed with the offensive line a year ago. Obviously the difference (this year) is at tackle," Marvin Lewis "Good physical group."

Expand
  9. "Its really more mental than physical...You are more favoring (the other knee). It took me four weeks,"Atkins on playing through knee issues

Expand
  10. When asked if he's the best DT in the NFL, Geno Atkins deflected the question. "I just do my job very well."

Expand
  11. "How much film can you watch on them because there is such a quick turnaround," Geno Atkins said of the NFL's Thursday game.

Expand
  12. "They are good up front, but they have had issues protecting the quarterback," Geno Atkins on the Dolphins' O-line struggles.

Archived