Burfict Injured in Practice, Questionable for Sunday

Punk meets glam meets the Revolutionary War. Interesting. I am looking forward to Burfict replacing his helmet with a Revolutionary War hat like Adam Ant is wearing. It will strike fear in the hearts of the Chargers.

I think Teddy Bruschi already adopted that look in order to appear more Patriot-y.  More eyeliner, though.

Bengals paced by Burfict's tough play
December, 1, 2013
Dec 1
11:30
PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO -- Three days ago, Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict was hurting.

The second-year player had just sprained an ankle, rolling it in his team's final practice before it boarded a plane for a four-hour trip from the Ohio Valley to Southern California. And even though he still was being bothered and bugged by the stinging sensation left by the injury that had just come his way, the native Californian was resolved over the weekend to not let it make him miss his first game of the season.

He wasn't going to be denied. He was going to play in front of his friends and family. He was going to play for his teammates. He was going to be a factor in the game.

He was going to help his team win the game.

"I have so many leaders around me where I feel like I have to step up to the plate, because they are expecting me to be great," Burfict said.

Not only was he great, but all things considered, he was spectacular. Playing through an injury that coach Marvin Lewis was convinced would have any other man or superman shelved for the day, Burfict ended up having a 13-tackle performance that mostly kept the San Diego Chargers out of the end zone and off the scoreboard. Even though San Diego was able to move the ball at times Sunday, Burfict's play was the difference-maker in the Bengals' 17-10 win, his teammates said.

"There's no doubt in my mind, most people wouldn't have been able to play," Lewis said. "He had another special day, and he played his tail off."

Lewis said Burfict will be placed in a boot for much of the week and probably won't practice until Thursday. AFC North-leading Cincinnati hosts the AFC South-leading Indianapolis Colts next Sunday.

While his teammates all said they expected Burfict to play, and expected the same level of execution once they learned he was going to give it a shot to play, they still were in awe by the special performance he turned in Sunday. According to them, it's that kind of approach that has helped pace the rest of the team.

"He's an animal," defensive end Michael Johnson said. "He was able to man-up and go, and that's who we've got around here. We've got a bunch of tough-minded, physical people that love playing football. That's what this team is built on, and it's going to take us a long way."

Burfict went through a series of drills to test his mobility about three hours before the game. After running through them with a trainer, he spoke with Lewis and his trainers and convinced them he was good enough to play. He said he wasn't trying to twist any arms, but he did want to make sure he ended up out there.

"Marvin asked me before the game if I would be able to go, and if he was second-guessing himself," Burfict said. "I said, 'Just trust me. Trust me to go out there and play well.'"

The style of play Burfict routinely showcases might take him to the Pro Bowl. He entered the weekend leading the NFL in tackles, and has begun earning a reputation for being a hard-hitting, trash-talking enforcer. He's spent his young career playing with an edge that borders on being reckless and boisterous, but also persevering and tough-willed.

"That young dude is going to be a great football player," safety Reggie Nelson said. "As long as he keeps handling business on and off the field, he'll play for a long time. His play speaks for itself. He's a good football player now, but as long as he keeps working on his craft and learning the game, he'll be alright."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/3448/bengals-vontaze-burfict-tough-play-paced

Vontaze Burfict inspires as Bengals knock out Chargers
Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY Sports 11:06 p.m. EST December 1, 2013

SAN DIEGO -- Asking a football player on game day whether he can play through an injury can be a lot like asking a classroom of kids if they want an extended recess period.

It's a no-brainer. Of course he will tell you that he can play.

RECAP: Bengals defense key in beating Chargers

FTW: Sunday's most attention-getting performances

Yet somebody had to ask Vontaze Burfict. And two hours before the Cincinnati Bengals were set for a matchup against one of the NFL's hottest quarterbacks, doubt lingered as coach Marvin Lewis questioned the star linebacker who was hobbling with a sprained ankle.

Sometimes, players insist they can play when they should not.

"That's how he was looking at me, like he really didn't believe me," Burfict told USA TODAY Sports after tallying a game-high 13 tackles in a 17-10 victory against the San Diego Chargers. "I had to convince him."

Although Lewis noted Burfict's "special healing powers," during his postgame news conference, the issue was serious enough that the coach and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer discussed contingency plans before pregame warmups.

Zimmer said that during the game, there was also a point when they thought he was done for the day.

"I'm good," Burfict declared to them on the sideline.

Burfict injured the ankle during practice on Friday. Lewis told USA TODAY Sports that in calling his mother to inform her of the injury, he expressed that he had to play through it because his team -- which weeks ago lost its best two defensive players, defensive tackle Geno Atkins and cornerback Leon Hall, to season-ending injuries -- needed him.

"That's his mentality," Lewis gushed in the coaches' quarters after the win which allowed the Bengals (8-4) to maintain their two-game lead for first place in the AFC North. "He's been such a joy to coach.

Where he got the reputation that he has, I don't know where he got it. But he's got charisma, leadership, everything.

"And he can play."

He also epitomizes the story behind one of the NFL's best defenses, which is a big reason why the Bengals should loom as a dangerous, under-the-radar threat in the AFC playoffs. Burfict wasn't drafted last year when he came out of Arizona State, bypassed because he was considered a character risk. Despite high-round talent, his reputation as a hothead, bolstered by too many unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in college, doomed his draft stock.

"That's all behind me now," he said.

Yet he is hardly alone. The defense is bonded by perceived slights.

"We're a bunch of guys that nobody else wanted," said defensive end Carlos Dunlap.

Dunlap grumbles that he was the 56th pick in the 2010 draft.

"Some teams passed on me twice," he said.

Besides Rey Maualuga, each of the linebackers -- James Harrison and Vincent Rey among them -- entered the NFL as undrafted free agents.

Safety Reggie Nelson was discarded by Jacksonville. Adam Jones, formerly Pacman, was sent packing by multiple teams after off-the-field dustups. Terence Newman was kicked to the curb by Dallas.

"Now he's played his best two seasons the past two years," Lewis said.

Maybe that's part of why this unit is thriving, and even without Atkins and Hall.

They have a collective chip on their shoulder.

"We all play for each other," said defensive tackle Domata Peko -- a fourth-round pick in 2006 that Lewis swears was drafted much later than he should have been.

Even the coordinator that Peko hails for his schemes, Zimmer, fits the mold. Zimmer, like Lewis once was, has been bypassed repeatedly for head coaching jobs despite consistently fielding some of the league's best defenses.

The unit also terrorizes quarterbacks. On Sunday, Philip Rivers -- having a Pro Bowl rebound year -- was added to the list of big-name quarterbacks who have lost this season to the Bengals.

Ben Roethlisberger. Aaron Rodgers. Tom Brady.

Now Rivers. The Bengals traveled cross-country and forced three turnovers while holding the Chargers to a season-low 10 points. They kept squeezing the pocket and pressuring Rivers. And a week after the Chargers hung 41 on the Kansas City Chiefs, the Bengals kept big plays to a minimum.

And they were led by a linebacker on a bad ankle.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/12/01/nfl-week-13-bengals-vontaze-burfict-defense-chargers/3800261/

Yeah, I can't think of another one that has been better.  The scary thing is he should keep getting better.  I'm not sure what he needs to work on..coverage (probably, but he's not terrible), blitzing (yeah maybe he can become a better blitzer). 

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll put a couple thoughts here...

Could Burfict be in better shape? I remember seeing a picture of Burfict and he looked really out of shape when we picked him up a couple years ago. When I see him, he looks big, but it looks pudgy big almost. Kinda reminds me of the Alabama kid McClain in regards to physicality. Just makes me think he doesn't work on it. Maybe I'm wrong... just a concern I have; sometimes I think he looks just a tad slower than what I'm comfortable with. Also, what does Burfict say to these guys to get them to push him? Multiple times has he been pushed or hit late when it's obvious he is provoking them. I'm sure he's turning into one of those "hate him because he's on your team" type of guys. Dare I say it... Hines Ward???

Speaking of speed, was it Rey who tried to chase someone down the offense's left sideline and totally just miss? Miss as in the worst angle I've ever seen a player make. The run ended up going for about 10 yards or so. Could of been Ronnie Brown? I can't remember.

Good to see Kirkpatrick make a huge play but I was reading about people thinking it's good for his confidence... I disagree. Seems like the guy is glowing with confidence. To me, it's awesome he made a huge play, but I don't think confidence will ever be an issue with him.

Could Burfict be in better shape? I remember seeing a picture of Burfict and he looked really out of shape when we picked him up a couple years ago. When I see him, he looks big, but it looks pudgy big almost. Kinda reminds me of the Alabama kid McClain in regards to physicality. Just makes me think he doesn't work on it. Maybe I'm wrong... just a concern I have; sometimes I think he looks just a tad slower than what I'm comfortable with. Also, what does Burfict say to these guys to get them to push him? Multiple times has he been pushed or hit late when it's obvious he is provoking them. I'm sure he's turning into one of those "hate him because he's on your team" type of guys. Dare I say it... Hines Ward???

Speaking of speed, was it Rey who tried to chase someone down the offense's left sideline and totally just miss? Miss as in the worst angle I've ever seen a player make. The run ended up going for about 10 yards or so. Could of been Ronnie Brown? I can't remember.

Good to see Kirkpatrick make a huge play but I was reading about people thinking it's good for his confidence... I disagree. Seems like the guy is glowing with confidence. To me, it's awesome he made a huge play, but I don't think confidence will ever be an issue with him.

Baby Fat.  I wouldn't worry about it - if he's learning stuff from Harrison he should start to shed that in the next year or so.

Burfict MAY be the best LB we have had since Bill Bergey.

Agree.  He's making me a believer.

Still would have been interesting to see

what O'D Thurman would have been if he

had not been a head case criminal.

My biggest fear with Burficit is that some game'

he is going to take it too far and end up suspended

for a game or few.

I'd be worried about Burfict if he weren't a factor late in games, or if he weren't durable. But he's been a 3-down player and he's a warrior. Like many young LBs, I think he can get better vs. the pass. But he's so instinctive, and he's a tremendous tackler... He rarely misses one, he wraps up, and he doesn't give much YAC.

Re: Dre, I think he came in here brimming with confidence "Swagga," but given that his rookie year was basically a washout on the field and he didn't make much of an Impact early this year, he was shaken a bit - to me, he seemed to be putting a ton of pressure on himself to make plays. Between Dez making him look bad in the PS game, and Calvin Johnson, then Josh Gordon - both with him covering, scoring TDs... and being a highly-touted #1 pick, and to still getting few defensive snaps and being the 4th or 5th corner, he had to be pressing.

That said, getting that INT Sunday looked like a HUGE confidence boost for him. As Marvin said yesterday, he belongs. I'm sure it was a huge relief for him, especially making it against a guy like Antonio Gates. Hopefully it'll be the harbinger of many more good things to come. He's got a lot of ability, and he would bring a lot of physicality to the deep 4. He may not see it, but I think having to be patient, and being humbled some will help him.

I'd be worried about Burfict if he weren't a factor late in games, or if he weren't durable. But he's been a 3-down player and he's a warrior. Like many young LBs, I think he can get better vs. the pass. But he's so instinctive, and he's a tremendous tackler... He rarely misses one, he wraps up, and he doesn't give much YAC.

Re: Dre, I think he came in here brimming with confidence "Swagga," but given that his rookie year was basically a washout on the field and he didn't make much of an Impact early this year, he was shaken a bit - to me, he seemed to be putting a ton of pressure on himself to make plays. Between Dez making him look bad in the PS game, and Calvin Johnson, then Josh Gordon - both with him covering, scoring TDs... and being a highly-touted #1 pick, and to still getting few defensive snaps and being the 4th or 5th corner, he had to be pressing.

That said, getting that INT Sunday looked like a HUGE confidence boost for him. As Marvin said yesterday, he belongs. I'm sure it was a huge relief for him, especially making it against a guy like Antonio Gates. Hopefully it'll be the harbinger of many more good things to come. He's got a lot of ability, and he would bring a lot of physicality to the deep 4. He may not see it, but I think having to be patient, and being humbled some will help him.

I hope this is the case as well.  And not sure of the exact quote but Marvin said he will have "earned it" in response to a question about Dre being a starting corner.   Who knows how Dre's career will go, but perhaps this may result in a better CB than if he was pushed into the starting lineup sooner.   

Archived