Both Gruden and Zimmer being interviewed for HC jobs (Multiple Merged Threads)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000309893/article/bengals-jay-gruden-zimmer-hot-coach-candidates

Update from NFL.com.

Also, a video of some commentators discussing Dalton.  Much like this board, they are split on him.

I was at the game yesterday, and I don't know where the blame lies.  All I know is when the prime time lights come on, this team consistently fails to deliver.  We won Monday night this year against a bad Steelers team at home.  Then went on to lose a Thursday night game, Sunday night game and playoff game.

Haha, "Would you like to coach the best team available with a head coaching vacancy?"  "Who me?  Nah I'm good."

What a dipshit.

I think the lions have discipline issues---more of Zimmers specialty.  Expectations would be very high in Detroit and he is stuck with Stafford, a QB he may or may not prefer.

Also----can't blame Jay if he doesn't want to live in Detroit. 

Haha, "Would you like to coach the best team available with a head coaching vacancy?"  "Who me?  Nah I'm good."

What a dipshit.

Probably doesn't want to have to deal with the Pack and Bears every year. Stafford isn't all that either, bro, and you're stuck with him.

banner_bengals.jpg

We know the 3-4 teams that Jay Gruden is expected to interview with. As for Mike Zimmer, he is playing it a little closer to the vest.

Both coordinators gave their year-end year comments on Monday while addressing rumors about their coaching futures. The Redskins, Titans and Vikings have asked for permission to interview Gruden while Zimmer said he has received interest from two teams. Zimmer said he expects to go on interviews by the end of the week.

Said Zimmer about the interview process: “I believe I’ve gotten better at it. The first one I did was a long time ago with the Rams. I didn’t do a very good job. It’s like coaching, I guess, I think you know when you do good and when you don’t when you walk out. I was told that I did good in the other ones, so we’ll see. They may not be looking for me and whatever. They may want an offensive coach, or they may want a different style guy, who knows?”

Zimmer interviewed with the Dolphins and Bucs two years ago and with the Browns last year. Gruden was interviewed by four teams last season — Eagles, Cardinals, Chargers and Jaguars.

Said Gruden when asked if he is ready to be a head coach: “You know, we’ll see. Every team is different, what they’re looking for. But as far as myself being ready, I’ve been in the league now three years as a coordinator and obviously with my brother for a lot of years. If that challenge were to come about, I think I’d be ready. But I’m happy staying here too. I love the group of guys that I’m coaching. Coach Lewis is a heck of a coach to work for and obviously Mike Brown has provided a great environment here for us to succeed. We have all the talent in-house to succeed soon, we just have to continue to work to get better all of us. I think if you can’t see the progress we’ve made in the last three years, then people have blinders on because we have made a lot of progress. It’s just unfortunate we didn’t play our best game yesterday. There’s a lot of great players in this room and the future is very, very bright here. It just doesn’t look like it right now. it’s kind of dismal right now. Perfect day. It’s cloudy and cold and minus-8 degrees outside. Definitely proud of the guys. But as far as myself is concerned, if that situation becomes something I think I could handle, then I’ll have to look at it.”

The Lions are also expected to have interest in Gruden. Running backs coach Hue Jackson could also receive a couple interviews.

Gruden needs to go.  All he basically said after the game was that the OL was banged up and 

Dalton might have "pressed" a little to much outside of the pocket, which isn't one of his strengths.

How do you take pressure off your QB?  Run the fucking ball!!  

No accountability on his part.  Like being up at half time averaging close to 5 yards a carry and abandoning

the run game?  God I hope someone hires this jackass!!

Can't place all the blame on the offense though.  We had the #3 overall defense coming into this game,

#5 against the run and let the Chargers run the ball down our throats!!  Yeah, we had injuries there BUT,

we lost Geno 2 MONTHS earlier against Miami.  So we played 8 games without him and were still

able to be #5 against the run!  

I have been thinking for a while that Tennessee seems like a good place for Zim. When Munchak was fired it seemed fated to happen (at least to me). Would hate to see him go, because of all the coaches he seems to have the most resounding support from his players. We have had some pretty bunk DC's here. He is a stud.

I saw a tweet earlier today that mention Lapham suggesting the possibility that Mike/Katie could possibly confront Zimmer and try to convince him to stick around 1 more year and see how Marvin's last year under contract pans out. Seems unlikely that either of them would do such a thing, in my opinion; anyone see it as a realistic possibility? I know the majority would be pretty happy with that.

Most likely just speculation or wishful thinking, but something to ponder I suppose.

Gotta love Zim....  I hope he doesn't like the situation and/or doesn't get offers.  Being greedy but the guys is great.  would hate to lose him...

Zimmer has reasons to stay with Bengals
January, 6, 2014

By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- Get used to seeing tweets like the one below from ESPN Insider Adam Schefter across the next few weeks as Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer becomes one of the most talked about assistants in the NFL.

Adam Schefter         @AdamSchefter Follow

Bengals DC Mike Zimmer is expected to interview this week with the Titans and Vikings, per source.

It isn't shocking news that one day after his current team was bounced from the AFC playoffs, Zimmer already had interviews lined up with other teams for their head-coaching vacancies. After all, he's been here before. More times than he'd care to admit, Zimmer has been invited for similar interviews, participated in them and not gotten the job.

This time around, you have to believe he's going to finally land that ever-elusive top-dog gig.

But what if he gets that job offer and decides to turn it down? Could Zimmer, the leader of the NFL's No. 3 defense in 2013, really stay with the Bengals?

The idea isn't as far-fetched as you might think.

"If I get offered one of these jobs and I don't feel good about it, you know me -- I'm going to do what I think is best," Zimmer said inside an empty Bengals locker room Monday afternoon.

One day after Cincinnati got bounced from the AFC playoffs thanks to a 27-10 loss at home to the San Diego Chargers, Zimmer chatted with reporters about coaching offers, his defense and what his next steps might, or might not, entail.

About an hour before Schefter's tweet, Zimmer said he had fielded "multiple requests" for interviews, although he didn't want to say with which teams. He said he had two interviews in the works for this week, and may have another set for next week.

While he will go on each of the interviews, Zimmer was quick to bring up reasons why he wouldn't be opposed to keeping his spot in Cincinnati's coaching ranks if all else fell through.

It's about happiness.

Finally, Zimmer has hit the sweet spot in his work-personal life balance.

He has a son, Adam, who is on staff with him in Cincinnati. He has a daughter who moved to the area not so long ago. And he has 43 acres of newly-bought land in nearby Independence, Ky., that is waiting for him to plop a house atop it. He already has the plans for the place drawn up; all he needs is for it to be built.

At long last, life outside Paul Brown Stadium is as seemingly close to perfect as it can be for Zimmer.

"So there's a lot of factors," he said, referencing the external forces that could keep him close to Southwest Ohio.

Another reason to stay? "The people in Cincinnati are pretty nice to me," he added before chuckling. "They don't know that I'm a bad coach yet."

Since joining the Bengals in 2008, Zimmer has led his share of top-10 defenses including this year's No. 3 unit and the group that ranked No. 4 in 2009. That same season, he was recognized as the league's top assistant by three publications. He also lost his wife of 27 years, Vikki, in October of that season when she died of natural causes.

Even with that added challenge in his background, Zimmer still consistently led a defense that has earned league-wide respect and admiration.

It also was clear during his 17-minute conversation that Zimmer thinks highly of the men who played for him this season, and the ones he anticipates having back next year if he sticks around with them.

"This team, this defensive team with the pieces we have, if we can keep them going, has a chance to be something really special," Zimmer said. "I know we were good this year, but we have a chance to be something really special."

See? He's still saying "we." Until "we" becomes a team that wears purple and gold or varying shades of blue, then he'll be referring to the Bengals when he utters that word.

While Zimmer has likely seen his last days as an assistant coach in Cincinnati, he still has a few reasons why he may not end up being in such a hurry to leave.

Zimmer noticeably absent on this list (listed as Other in the Washington group).

Top head coach candidates in.gif
January, 6, 2014
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

Since the last time we checked in on the top replacement candidates for teams that fired their head coaches, the Houston Texans hired Bill O'Brien, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers hired Lovie Smith and the Tennessee Titans fired Mike Munchak. That leaves us with five head coach vacancies and a slew of potential replacements. Here is a look at the top options those teams are considering:

Detroit Lions
  • Ken Whisenhunt: ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Sunday that the Lions' job is "Whisenhunt's to lose." There are myriad reasons why the current San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator would be a good fit with the Lions, but foremost is his success at getting the most out of his quarterbacks. The next Lions coach will need to turn Matthew Stafford into a winner.
  • Jim Caldwell: For all the talk about other candidates, the Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator is the only one who has actually interviewed with the Lions. Getting the most out of Stafford was a focus of his interview prep. Interestingly, Stafford met with Caldwell during the interview process.
  • Jay Gruden: Schefter confirmed that the Lions are interested in the Cincinnati Bengals' offensive coordinator, and since his team just lost to the Chargers, he may be interviewed this week.

Minnesota Vikings

• Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell: GM Rick Spielman took advantage of the Seahawks' off week to speak with their coordinators this week. Bevell has an obvious connection with the Vikes, as he was their OC from 2006-10. Quinn is in his first season with the Seahawks, leading the NFL's best defense.
  • Todd Bowles: The Arizona Cardinals' defensive coordinator is set to interview with Spielman on Monday.
  • Ray Horton: Spielman is expected to interview the Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Tuesday. Obviously there seems to be a theme here, as the early candidates appear to be defensive-minded options. At this point, there doesn't appear to be a front-runner for the job, so we likely will hear more names -- perhaps Vanderbilt's James Franklin, Denver Broncos OC Adam Gase, San Francisco 49ers OC Greg Roman -- bandied about in the coming days.

Cleveland Browns

• Josh McDaniels: A year ago, the Pats' offensive coordinator opted to not interview with the Browns, but he changed course this year and reportedly spoke with team officials Saturday. If they want to pair up, a contract can't be offered until after the Patriots are out of the playoffs.
  • James Franklin: Per Schefter, the Browns will interview the Vanderbilt coach this week. He has been drawing interest from all sorts of places, so there may be competition for his services.
  • Bob Stoops: Reports regarding the Browns and the Oklahoma coach run the gamut from being a strong candidate to having no plans for an interview. Things change quickly in these situations, though, so we'll have to keep an eye on his situation.
  • Others: The aforementioned Quinn and Bowles already have met with the Browns, and Whisenhunt likely will, too.

Washington Redskins

• Jim Caldwell: After meeting with the Lions, Caldwell interviewed with the Redskins on Saturday.
  • Rich Bisaccia: The Dallas Cowboys special teams coach was a long-time college coach and is respected around the league, but some believe that he may not be dynamic enough to win the job.
  • James Franklin: It looks like the notion of pairing Robert Griffin III with his former college coach, Baylor's Art Briles, isn't going to happen. However, the Redskins have reached out to Vanderbilt about interviewing Franklin.
  • Others: When all is said and done, the Redskins probably will have interviewed more candidates than any other team searching for a new head coach. GM Bruce Allen met the aforementioned Bevell this week, and Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott on Sunday. New York Giants DC Perry Fewell should meet with Allen this week, while Gruden, and Bengals DC Mike Zimmer may be interviewed soon.

Tennessee Titans

• Rich Bisaccia: ESPN's Titans reporter, Paul Kuharsky, reported Saturday that Bissaccia "is a name I’ve already heard [GM Ruston] Webster will consider."
  • James Franklin: It's hardly a reach to think that the Titans will at least kick the proverbial tires on Vandy's coach, considering his close proximity and the buzz he carries at the moment.
  • Dan Quinn: The Titans are just getting their search under way, but the Seahawks DC likely will be one of many other candidates to interview in the coming days and weeks.

According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, there’s a belief that Jay Gruden is the early favorite with the Washington Redskins, whom are set to interview him soon:

“There are some ties there,” one of those people said Tuesday morning, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the Redskins’ candidates or Gruden’s job prospects publicly. “It would make a lot of sense.”

Another person said late Monday he would not be surprised to see the Redskins make a push to hire Gruden when he meets with team officials, even with other candidates slated to be interviewed.

But Gruden, that person added, has leverage because of the interest he is drawing from other teams with head coaching vacancies and it is not clear if he would be receptive to striking a quick deal even if the Redskins pursue that

http://stripehype.com/2014/01/07/redskins-push-hire-jay-gruden-week/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Archived