Both Gruden and Zimmer being interviewed for HC jobs (Multiple Merged Threads)

I think the lions have discipline issues---more of Zimmers specialty.  Expectations would be very high in Detroit and he is stuck with Stafford, a QB he may or may not prefer.

Also----can't blame Jay if he doesn't want to live in Detroit. 

detroit's a fine place to live, if you're among the upper class. those folks are eating it up and enjoying the hell out of life.

I saw a tweet earlier today that mention Lapham suggesting the possibility that Mike/Katie could possibly confront Zimmer and try to convince him to stick around 1 more year and see how Marvin's last year under contract pans out. Seems unlikely that either of them would do such a thing, in my opinion; anyone see it as a realistic possibility? I know the majority would be pretty happy with that.

Most likely just speculation or wishful thinking, but something to ponder I suppose.

a bird in hand....

Have not heard his name for the job but Gruden might be a possibility at Louisville if their top guys fall through.

Good point, hadn't thought of that.  I'm not sure the fan base would be thrilled.  Has he ever been a college coach?  There's quite a bit of recruiting involved so it's pretty different.  Especially with L'Ville headed to the ACC they'll need to recuit really well.  Strong's FLA ties helped him build a solid team but I doubt that continues.

Morning Stripes: Interview process begins

January, 8, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

The fact that Jay Gruden might actually be leaving the Cincinnati Bengals first hit me late Sunday afternoon inside the Bengals' locker room.

Just after chatting for about eight minutes with reporters who wanted all his insights on quarterback Andy Dalton's failures to the team's departure from the running game in the second half of the day's 27-10 playoff loss to the Chargers, the offensive coordinator walked around and thanked a few of his players. He was going to see them all again the next day when he held exit interviews with them, but in the first few minutes after the season-ending defeat, it seemed he wanted them to be sure they heard from him.

Specifically, I noticed Gruden casually stride over to receiver Marvin Jones' locker. The second-year wideout was pulling on a shirt when Gruden, holding a mostly-eaten slice of pizza, said in between bites, "You're a hell of a receiver." He wasn't the first person to offer Jones encouraging words that afternoon and he wasn't the last. But just seeing him offer his well wishes to a player he might be coaching against next year made it hit home.

Gruden really was probably making one of his final trips through the Bengals locker room.

Of course, anything can change in the coming weeks, but all signs are pointing to Gruden possibly getting a head-coaching job elsewhere as his interview period officially begins. According to reports, he talked with the Tennessee Titans on Tuesday and ESPN's Ed Werder said Gruden will be meeting with Washington on Wednesday.

Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer also has been linked to interviews for head-coaching vacancies. He's expected to visit with Minnesota and Washington this week himself, and a third team next week.

Now that Gruden and Zimmer are being courted, the Bengals' movers and shakers are formulating their own backup plans in the event one or both assistants leave. One likely on-staff replacement for Gruden could be running backs coach Hue Jackson, whose name has come up as a possible candidate for head-coaching vacancies. Before coming on staff in Cincinnati, he was the Oakland Raiders' head coach.

As we get rolling with Wednesday's Morning Stripes, we start with a look at Jay Gruden, the job applicant:
  • Compiled by ESPN.com Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky, here is a look at Gruden on the same afternoon the Titans apparently discussed their vacancy with him. This may or may not be a shameless plug for a certain Bengals reporter who offers his perspective on Gruden for Kuharsky.
  • Stepping onto the field and into the replay booth, the NFL's head of officials, Dean Blandino, said Tuesday night on NFL Network that referee Jeff Triplette's crew made the right determination on two reviewed calls in Sunday's game. The decision to start Cincinnati's final play of the first half at the two-second mark was correct, said Blandino, who was at the game and echoed those sentiments to reporters there at halftime. Since the side official originally ruled that forward progress on a Jermaine Gresham catch along the sideline had been stopped before he was forced out of bounds, the clock ticked off about 11 seconds before the replay booth stepped in to review the play. Here's NFL.com's look at that call and another involving rookie running back Giovani Bernard.
  • From the fashion and warmth department, there's this from the San Diego Union-Tribune's Matt Gehlken on Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers. Apparently he's a perfect 6-0 since 2012 whenever he wears gloves on his throwing hand, as he did in Sunday's wild-card playoff win.

There is another way to go if Gruden leaves.

James Urban becomes o-cordinator - he was already more qualified than Gruden to do so in the first place when arriving from Philly.  He was assistant o-cordinator for the Eagles in a similar offense to Gruden's, but with an Andy Reid philosophy, so the plays would be different in some respects but the terminology would remain the same.

And

Hue Jackson becomes WR's coach - his more hands on approach would get the best out of AJ, Marv Jones, Sanu, and Baby Hawk, closer to 2005-2006 level.

The good thing is, if he leaves, Hue has been here for a couple years now, he knows the players, and he knows what he has and their strengths.  So he would be able to draw up an offense around them instead of trying to  make the players fit into a specific schemes.  Please let Gruden get a job somewhere, so we can hire Hue as OC.

For once I agree with Reedy...

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 37m

How does Bobby Petrino get another major college gig and Mike Zimmer can't get one NFL head coach opening? Uneffingbelievable

That's criminal.  Karma's going to make Louisville pay for this.  This is a stupid, stupid move that smacks of desperation.  And, aside from the fact that Bobby Petrino is a bad human being, what makes them think he's more likely to RE-capture lightning in a bottle than a new guy is to succeed?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
gruden1.jpg?w=235Getty Images

What’s the best way to get people to forget about Jay Gruden’s misplaced faith in Andy Daltonand/or his inability to get the most out of him?  By tapping into the time-honored mentality of scarcity.

Who cares if the younger brother of Jon Gruden isn’t the best candidate to be the head coach in Washington, Tennessee, Minnesota, or Detroit?  His name is Gruden, and other teams want him.  So let’s hire him!

According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, the Redskins are very interested in Jay Gruden.  Which could be causing other teams to become very interested in him, too.

I think he’s their first choice,” an unnamed source told Maske regarding the Redskins.  The source also said that Jay Gruden prefers the Tennessee job, but that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder could make Jay Gruden a financial offer that he can’t refuse.

While it’s bad form to speculate on sources (as if that’s ever stopped me), it’s impossible not to at least wonder whether noted puppet master Bob LaMonte is leaking information that reflects knowledge of the perceived preferences of Washington and Gruden.  We’ve consistently heard chatter in league circles that, of all his coaching clients, LaMonte’s top priority for the current hiring cycle is to place Jay Gruden in a head-coaching job.

And if LaMonte can drive up the market for entry-level coaches while doing so, that’s a bonus.

That said, it’s no surprise that Jay Gruden would be inclined to avoid a potentially destructive situation in D.C., given the reported attitude of the quarterback and the accepted reputation of the owner.  And it’s no surprise that Snyder may have to pay a premium in order to lure a candidate who has options elsewhere.

Regardless, there’s only one Jay Gruden available on the shelves.  If billionaires used to getting their way sense a race to the mutually-perceived prize, he may not be there for long.

For once I agree with Reedy...

Joe Reedy @joereedy 37m

How does Bobby Petrino get another major college gig and Mike Zimmer can't get one NFL head coach opening? Uneffingbelievable

Pretty simple...offense. Petrino only left to go to a power conference. UL is now in a power conference. He will go back to UL and keep them good year in and year out.

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
gruden1.jpg?w=235Getty Images

What’s the best way to get people to forget about Jay Gruden’s misplaced faith in Andy Daltonand/or his inability to get the most out of him?  By tapping into the time-honored mentality of scarcity.

Who cares if the younger brother of Jon Gruden isn’t the best candidate to be the head coach in Washington, Tennessee, Minnesota, or Detroit?  His name is Gruden, and other teams want him.  So let’s hire him!

According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, the Redskins are very interested in Jay Gruden.  Which could be causing other teams to become very interested in him, too.

I think he’s their first choice,” an unnamed source told Maske regarding the Redskins.  The source also said that Jay Gruden prefers the Tennessee job, but that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder could make Jay Gruden a financial offer that he can’t refuse.

While it’s bad form to speculate on sources (as if that’s ever stopped me), it’s impossible not to at least wonder whether noted puppet master Bob LaMonte is leaking information that reflects knowledge of the perceived preferences of Washington and Gruden.  We’ve consistently heard chatter in league circles that, of all his coaching clients, LaMonte’s top priority for the current hiring cycle is to place Jay Gruden in a head-coaching job.

And if LaMonte can drive up the market for entry-level coaches while doing so, that’s a bonus.

That said, it’s no surprise that Jay Gruden would be inclined to avoid a potentially destructive situation in D.C., given the reported attitude of the quarterback and the accepted reputation of the owner.  And it’s no surprise that Snyder may have to pay a premium in order to lure a candidate who has options elsewhere.

Regardless, there’s only one Jay Gruden available on the shelves.  If billionaires used to getting their way sense a race to the mutually-perceived prize, he may not be there for long.

If (and it looks more like when) Gruden leaves, will he make a play to take another staff member with him to be his offensive coordinator?

Would anybody care?  

The logical choice to replace Gruden is Hue Jackson.  I guess the guy I'd worry about losing is Ken Zampese.  All the Andy Dalton hate aside, he's managed to develop three good starting quarterbacks (Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Dalton).  There aren't a whole lot of quarterback coaches with a better track record...

If (and it looks more like when) Gruden leaves, will he make a play to take another staff member with him to be his offensive coordinator?

Would anybody care?  

The logical choice to replace Gruden is Hue Jackson.  I guess the guy I'd worry about losing is Ken Zampese.  All the Andy Dalton hate aside, he's managed to develop three good starting quarterbacks (Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Dalton).  There aren't a whole lot of quarterback coaches with a better track record...

I imagine Gruden would call his own plays.  

Would anybody care?  

Hopefully he takes the greatest coach ever with him. Paul Alexander.

Pretty simple...offense. Petrino only left to go to a power conference. UL is now in a power conference. He will go back to UL and keep them good year in and year out.

Or he left for the NFL and then bailed on the Falcons in the middle of his first season to 'go to a power conference'.  Or whatever...

And If you think the whole affair/bike wreck/lie is not going to crush him in recruiting, I suppose there's a chance you're right.

Hopefully he takes the greatest coach ever with him. Paul Alexander.

We could only be so lucky...

I imagine Gruden would call his own plays.  

Agreed.  And it's the primary reason I think he might have recruit a position coach to take the OC gig.  An established coordinator isn't going to take a job without being able to call the game.  Somebody like Zampese, who's been looking for a promotion for years, wold probably jump at the chance.

Agreed.  And it's the primary reason I think he might have recruit a position coach to take the OC gig.  An established coordinator isn't going to take a job without being able to call the game.  Somebody like Zampese, who's been looking for a promotion for years, wold probably jump at the chance.

he can have him.  I think Dalton may benefit from a different perspective from the QB coach position.  

Archived