Both Gruden and Zimmer being interviewed for HC jobs (Multiple Merged Threads)

Hue Jackson is officially the Bengals OC.

If Zimmer takes Guenther as his DC, who becomes the Bengals DC? Possible outside hire? Ray Horton may be released from the Browns.

Bengals could wind up losing both coordinators. Jay Gruden is Redskins HC and Mike Zimmer has emerged as a favorite in Minnesota.

Our window is fast closing.  

Minnesota actually has a decent offense but TERRIBLE defense.  Zimmer could turn that team around.

I think the offense will improve greatly with Hue running the show.  However, if Zim leaves, I don't think it can be overstated how badly that may effect the defense next season.  It may be quite possible that there is a significant team role reversal in that maybe its time for the offense to cover up the defenses warts.  If Zim stays, I think we all have to feel pretty good about next season.  I feel much better today knowing that gruden has been replaced.  It was fun to watch at times, but way too inconsistent. 

I think the offense will improve greatly with Hue running the show.  However, if Zim leaves, I don't think it can be overstated how badly that may effect the defense next season.  It may be quite possible that there is a significant team role reversal in that maybe its time for the offense to cover up the defenses warts.  If Zim stays, I think we all have to feel pretty good about next season.  I feel much better today knowing that gruden has been replaced.  It was fun to watch at times, but way too inconsistent. 

This defense is way too talented to see a huge drop off. It's not like if Zimmer leaves all of a sudden Atikins, Dunlap, Burfict, etc will become complete shit.

Our window is fast closing? Really? I truly can't see how you can say that. Please expound.

Simple.  Great organizations remain that way for long periods of time by having a very good to great head coach.  

Perfect example is New England that year after year seems to have its coordinators poached yet they continue to excel because of Bill Belichick and a good front office.

New Orleans has had Sean Peyton for 7 of the last 8 years and the results are obvious.  Losing him for 1 year threw the team into chaos.

Baltimore  with Brian Billick and now John Harbaugh have reached the playoffs 9 times in 14 years.  Both were/are very good head coaches.

Green Bay has reached the playoffs 15 times in 21 years to include 2 Super Bowl victories in 3 tries.  They have had Holmgren(very good), Sherman(decent) and McCarthy(excellent).  

It takes a very good to great head coach to replace GREAT coordinators and not miss much of a  beat.   Zimmer is, without a doubt a great defensive coordinator.   He is, by far, the one person most responsible for us making the playoffs recently....NOT Marvin Lewis.  

You are kidding yourself if you think this team won't be hurt by the loss of both coordinators with Marvin as a head coach. 

LOL. Our window is closing? Dude pretty much every important player on this team besides at maybe CB are still young. Most of these guys still have 2-3 yrs till they reach their "prime"

New Orleans was the same say before they lost their most important coach for 1 year (Peyton suspended).  They shit themselves.  Losing our most important coach in Zimmer will hurt this team.  

I also don't buy into Hue making the offense way better than Gruden.  

Great coaches don't need superstar high round picks to produce great teams.  If having the most talented team on the field determined the outcome, Detroit would be heading to the Superbowl. 

This defense is way too talented to see a huge drop off. It's not like if Zimmer leaves all of a sudden Atikins, Dunlap, Burfict, etc will become complete shit.

Sure all have proven to be very good players thus far.  But, its about the scheme.  If this year didn't prove that to you, then im not sure when it can be proved to you. 

New Orleans was the same say before they lost their most important coach for 1 year (Peyton suspended).  They shit themselves.  Losing our most important coach in Zimmer will hurt this team.  

I also don't buy into Hue making the offense way better than Gruden.  

Great coaches don't need superstar high round picks to produce great teams.  If having the most talented team on the field determined the outcome, Detroit would be heading to the Superbowl. 

New Orleans finished 2nd in yards and 3rd in points in 2012 without Peyton. They had the #1 passing attack.  

New Orleans failed last year because their defense sucked.

You're a Saints fan.  I know you should know this.

Sure all have proven to be very good players thus far.  But, its about the scheme.  If this year didn't prove that to you, then im not sure when it can be proved to you. 

Zimmer is a genius.  Lost Atkins and Hall for the season, had other key players miss plenty of time like Newman, yet kept the unit playing very well.  How many other coaches can call Chris "nobody wants me" Crocker mid season and plug him into his defense?   I don't know if everyone here realizes just what this guy has done with the players he has.

New Orleans finished 2nd in yards and 3rd in points in 2012 without Peyton. They had the #1 passing attack.  

New Orleans failed last year because their defense sucked.

You're a Saints fan.  I know you should know this.

They lost their defensive coordinator to bountygate as well.   Went from 13th in points to 31st with basically the same personnel.  

Williams was a good d coordinator.

The cold hard reality is a great head coach can attract great younger coordinators.

New England has Josh McDaniels as their offensive coordinator.   Guy was their OC at age 30 and did great.  Coached at Denver but was not successful.   Ended up back at New England eventually because he wanted to go back to where he was successful.

Their D-Cordinator is Matt Patricia age 39.  Guy has been their since he was 29 and has worked his way up thru the ranks which means Bellicheck must love the guy since BB and Bob Kraft can typically pick and choose whomever they want that is available.

In my opinion, the fact that Marvin is a defense-oriented coach means I worry more about who the OC is than the DC.   Zimmer is probably the best DC we've ever had and him being back next year would go a long way toward maintaining/continuing the momentum and excitment from the regular season this year.  But given the situation and the talent we have on both sides of the ball, the OC has the least built in support and the most to prove. 

Marvin understands that the strengths of an offense need to adjust as the season goes on and it seems to me his general philosophy is that as it gets cold you have to be able to run the ball.  The two OCs in the Marvin Lewis era were Brat and Gruden and it always seemed to me that running the ball was a more of something to do between passes than a pillar of their plans. Brat was here when Marvin got here and I would write off Gruden as an attempt to catch lighning in a bottle.  Neither one seemed to me to fit the identity that Marvin would have an AFC north team embody. 

Hue is the perfect fit, but not only because he excels at running the ball.   Hue will not hold back, he will not accept unprepared players, and he understands not only what Marvin wants the offense to be, but he likely understands why. 

I don't like how little we're hearing about other candidates in Minn....

I keep checking twitter and there's lots of news about candidates and interviews for Tenn, Det, etc. but not much for Minn.  I'm beginning to get a bit nervous about Zimm here.  he's pretty tight lipped too so I know we wouldn't hear anything until the last minute before something is announced....

I don't like how little we're hearing about other candidates in Minn....

I keep checking twitter and there's lots of news about candidates and interviews for Tenn, Det, etc. but not much for Minn.  I'm beginning to get a bit nervous about Zimm here.  he's pretty tight lipped too so I know we wouldn't hear anything until the last minute before something is announced....

Minnesota is reportedly interviewing 10 people.

I work with a huge Vikings fan and he told me that the two top choices on their list are Zimmer and a combo of Ray Horton and Norv Turner. He said the fans are clamoring for the Horton/Turner combo becase they expect Jared Allen and Kevin Williams to be gone and they have good young LB's that will allow them to make the switch to the 3-4 that Horton runs...and remember that Minn is probably going to draft a QB to groom. Norv turner would be the perfect fit to help them with that. the Browns are absolutely nuts to have let go of the staff they have.

I work with a huge Vikings fan and he told me that the two top choices on their list are Zimmer and a combo of Ray Horton and Norv Turner. He said the fans are clamoring for the Horton/Turner combo becase they expect Jared Allen and Kevin Williams to be gone and they have good young LB's that will allow them to make the switch to the 3-4 that Horton runs...

That sounds like excellent reasoning and they should listen to their fans.

:angel:

Simple.  Great organizations remain that way for long periods of time by having a very good to great head coach.  

Perfect example is New England that year after year seems to have its coordinators poached yet they continue to excel because of Bill Belichick and a good front office.

New Orleans has had Sean Peyton for 7 of the last 8 years and the results are obvious.  Losing him for 1 year threw the team into chaos.

Baltimore  with Brian Billick and now John Harbaugh have reached the playoffs 9 times in 14 years.  Both were/are very good head coaches.

Green Bay has reached the playoffs 15 times in 21 years to include 2 Super Bowl victories in 3 tries.  They have had Holmgren(very good), Sherman(decent) and McCarthy(excellent).  

It takes a very good to great head coach to replace GREAT coordinators and not miss much of a  beat.   Zimmer is, without a doubt a great defensive coordinator.   He is, by far, the one person most responsible for us making the playoffs recently....NOT Marvin Lewis.  

You are kidding yourself if you think this team won't be hurt by the loss of both coordinators with Marvin as a head coach.

I know you don't like Marvin, it's quite evident in your post. However, although not great, I do think Marvin is a good coach. Since the reboot, when he has been allowed to have his guys, his draft and his system, this team has performed well at every regular season level, they just haven't performed well in the playoffs and when the brightest lights were on. Acting like ALL of that is Marvin's fault is disingenuous at best. Gruden himself even commented that he sometimes made poor decisions when the pressure was on. Everything that people have bitched about with Marvin have seen marked improvement in the last 3 years. Better time management, better challenges, better player development, you name it.

Now, I as well, like Zimmer, and hope he stays, but if he doesn't, I don't see any way that our defense goes from top ten to bottom ten, which is what you are implying. That almost implies that the players are going to just forget the work ethic that brought them to this spot, that Guenther, Carrier, Hayes and all the other coaches are going to say "now that Zimmer is gone, we don't have to work as hard". Please.

Archived