Both Gruden and Zimmer being interviewed for HC jobs (Multiple Merged Threads)

Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is a hot commodity among teams looking to fill a vacant head coaching position. He has already interviewed for the Tennessee Titans and Washington Redskins, and will reportedly meet with the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday – that is, if he's still on the market.

According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, Gruden may be receiving an enticing offer from the Redskins. 

Gruden is the fourth candidate to be confirmed by the Redskins, following interviews with Dallas Cowboys special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell, and New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell.

One person familiar with the situation told Maske that Gruden is the Redskins' first choice but, according to another source, the Titans, Vikings, and Detroit Lions are all still in the mix for his services.

http://beta.thescore.com/nfl/news/402438

Gruden is likely gone it seems. Zimmer maybe but less likely than Jay. After listening to Bengals line on Monday Jay seemed like a guy who wanted to get something off his chest. He made vague references to Andy/AJ stepping up to be a vocal leader but that it's not really part of their personality. He said somebody has to other than the coaches. Not verbatim but that's how I took it.
He almost sounded like a guy who knew he wasn't coming back.

This potentially rules out all of the HC vacancies for Zimmer:

Follow

5897e6e94dddc8de9cbc69045496b925_normal.Cincinnati_@ESPNCincinnati_

#Bengals DC Mike Zimmer will reportedly only leave current position if the right opportunity is given with full control of personal & staff

Full control of personal.... what? Hygiene? Grooming? Hell, he's got that now, I'd assume.

Okay. Here's what's gonna happen. Gruden is gonna get the Washington job. We're going to trade him Andy Dalton for RG3, straight up. RG3 somehow stays healthy, leads us to the Superbowl. Gruden gets fired after his first year. Comes back as our DB coach. :ninja:

Okay. Here's what's gonna happen. Gruden is gonna get the Washington job. We're going to trade him Andy Dalton for RG3, straight up. RG3 somehow stays healthy, leads us to the Superbowl. Gruden gets fired after his first year. Comes back as our DB coach. :ninja:

I wish.

Although I will say this about RG3 living here in DC..... dude is a whiny little bitch, like incredibly immature.

I'd still take him though.

This potentially rules out all of the HC vacancies for Zimmer:

#Bengals DC Mike Zimmer will reportedly only leave current position if the right opportunity is given with full control of personal & staff

That twitter handle has no credibility. And it appears they are the only one running that quote. 

Its based on this

Zimmer has reasons to stay with Bengals
January, 6, 2014
JAN 6
8:15
PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com
CINCINNATI -- Get used to seeing tweets like the one below from ESPN Insider Adam Schefter across the next few weeks as Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer becomes one of the most talked about assistants in the NFL. 

It isn't shocking news that one day after his current team was bounced from the AFC playoffs, Zimmer already had interviews lined up with other teams for their head-coaching vacancies. After all, he's been here before. More times than he'd care to admit, Zimmer has been invited for similar interviews, participated in them and not gotten the job. 

This time around, you have to believe he's going to finally land that ever-elusive top-dog gig. 

But what if he gets that job offer and decides to turn it down? Could Zimmer, the leader of the NFL's No. 3 defense in 2013, really stay with the Bengals? 

The idea isn't as far-fetched as you might think. 

"If I get offered one of these jobs and I don't feel good about it, you know me -- I'm going to do what I think is best," Zimmer said inside an empty Bengals locker room Monday afternoon. 

nfl_a_mikezimmer_cmg_65.jpg
Zimmer
One day after Cincinnati got bounced from the AFC playoffs thanks to a 27-10 loss at home to the San Diego Chargers, Zimmer chatted with reporters about coaching offers, his defense and what his next steps might, or might not, entail. 

About an hour before Schefter's tweet, Zimmer said he had fielded "multiple requests" for interviews, although he didn't want to say with which teams. He said he had two interviews in the works for this week, and may have another set for next week. 

While he will go on each of the interviews, Zimmer was quick to bring up reasons why he wouldn't be opposed to keeping his spot in Cincinnati's coaching ranks if all else fell through. 

It's about happiness. 

Finally, Zimmer has hit the sweet spot in his work-personal life balance. 

He has a son, Adam, who is on staff with him in Cincinnati. He has a daughter who moved to the area not so long ago. And he has 43 acres of newly-bought land in nearby Independence, Ky., that is waiting for him to plop a house atop it. He already has the plans for the place drawn up; all he needs is for it to be built. 

At long last, life outside Paul Brown Stadium is as seemingly close to perfect as it can be for Zimmer. 

"So there's a lot of factors," he said, referencing the external forces that could keep him close to Southwest Ohio. 

Another reason to stay? "The people in Cincinnati are pretty nice to me," he added before chuckling. "They don't know that I'm a bad coach yet." 

Since joining the Bengals in 2008, Zimmer has led his share of top-10 defenses including this year's No. 3 unit and the group that ranked No. 4 in 2009. That same season, he was recognized as the league's top assistant by three publications. He also lost his wife of 27 years, Vikki, in October of that season when she died of natural causes. 

Even with that added challenge in his background, Zimmer still consistently led a defense that has earned league-wide respect and admiration. 

It also was clear during his 17-minute conversation that Zimmer thinks highly of the men who played for him this season, and the ones he anticipates having back next year if he sticks around with them. 

"This team, this defensive team with the pieces we have, if we can keep them going, has a chance to be something really special," Zimmer said. "I know we were good this year, but we have a chance to be something really special." 

See? He's still saying "we." Until "we" becomes a team that wears purple and gold or varying shades of blue, then he'll be referring to the Bengals when he utters that word. 

While Zimmer has likely seen his last days as an assistant coach in Cincinnati, he still has a few reasons why he may not end up being in such a hurry to leave.

BUT he never mentioned the control issue.

So if/when Gruden goes, we're assuming Hue is the new OC? I would love that. We will run the ball and simplify the offense for Andy with Hue.

That is what I hope.. And maybe we'll get the line settled and put the best possible lineup on the field

Archived