Bengals Free Agency

why on earth would you tag Collins?  The franchise tag for OLinemen will be somewhere in the $10M/yr range.

You can sign Collins to a deal somewhere in the $4-5M/yr range.

He will get a lot more than 4-5 mill in free agency. He's got more than enough film to show his abilities at LT. A team out there with OL issues will give him a 5 year 35-40 mill deal easily. We can't/shouldn't do that.

I'd give Collins a 4 or 5 year deal in the 4-5 mill range in a heart beat. I just don't think he will sign that.

He will get a lot more than 4-5 mill in free agency. He's got more than enough film to show his abilities at LT. A team out there with OL issues will give him a 5 year 35-40 mill deal easily. We can't/shouldn't do that.

I'd give Collins a 4 or 5 year deal in the 4-5 mill range in a heart beat. I just don't think he will sign that.

Based on what? Collins was a free agent after the 2011 season and had good tape showing him shutting out Dwight Freeney among others. He still didn't get any offers to become another team's starting LT and re-signed with the Bengals for a moderate amount. 

Based on what? Collins was a free agent after the 2011 season and had good tape showing him shutting out Dwight Freeney among others. He still didn't get any offers to become another team's starting LT and re-signed with the Bengals for a moderate amount. 

His tape was older in shutting down Freeney. This tape is fresh and shown over a long period this year. Plus he showed his versatility by also playing RT.

I think drafting a LT in the first, one who can run block, is the best thing to do. Then re-sign MJ to keep our dline intact.

I don't want MJ at all. Waste of money. I'd much rather sign Collins and draft a DE (though we probably don't need an early DE since we have Hunt waiting).

Whit's extension only averaged $6M per year, at the time he signed it (just 2 years ago so not too long), he had 45 more career starts than Collins currently has.

I don't think MJ is a waste of money at all, but he should be getting well under 6M, and frankly maybe something like Geathers' salary.  Either way, we need to bring in a new young guy who can really get around the edge.  We need that from that position.  Atkins and Dunlap crumple the pocket while the guy around the blindside cleans up.  If he's just a crumpler too, the QB actually doesn't have to step up and has more time than otherwise.

Whit's extension only averaged $6M per year, at the time he signed it (just 2 years ago so not too long), he had 45 more career starts than Collins currently has.

didnt the lineman last offseason get a lot more than that? i thought a bunch of guards the last 2 years were getting 7 mill a year contracts. LTs should get more than guards.

These 3 aren't going anywhere. I'd be pissed if we got rid of any of them. Geathers still means a lot to our defense. Rey actually had a great year this year and we are thin at true LB talent. And BJGE looked great in the playoff game, he's an end of the season type of back and he's one of the biggest leaders on the team.

What has Geathers done in the last 3 years? He should easily be a cap casualty. He's broken down. I'm watching Bowman, Willis, Kueckly, Davis and Brooks play linebacker right now and for you to say Maualuga played great this year is hilarious.

why on earth would you tag Collins?  The franchise tag for OLinemen will be somewhere in the $10M/yr range.

You can sign Collins to a deal somewhere in the $4-5M/yr range.

I want Collins back too but there's no way he get 5 plus a year based on 6 games he's played this year. 5 years at about 23 million would be perfect for both parties.

didnt the lineman last offseason get a lot more than that? i thought a bunch of guards the last 2 years were getting 7 mill a year contracts. LTs should get more than guards.

The average LT contract is right around 7 million a year. The top is 12 million and the franchise tag for a LT will roughly be 10.9 mill next year. Unless some team really overpays, Collins should get right around 4-6 million a year. He is only making a million this year.

The average LT contract is right around 7 million a year. The top is 12 million and the franchise tag for a LT will roughly be 10.9 mill next year. Unless some team really overpays, Collins should get right around 4-6 million a year. He is only making a million this year.

i guess im drunk today. i was thinking LTs were getting more. even better cuz i want AC back.

What has Geathers done in the last 3 years? He should easily be a cap casualty. He's broken down. I'm watching Bowman, Willis, Kueckly, Davis and Brooks play linebacker right now and for you to say Maualuga played great this year is hilarious.

Geathers is the best run stopping DE on the team. Geathers run stopping ability allows Dunlap and MJ to get less snaps in running situations to stay fresh. By keeping MJ and Dunlap fresh we get a better pass rush from those two. Not every player is meant to put up 10 sacks a year. Geathers role on this team changed years ago to being a run stopper and not a pass rusher and people have always complained even though he's not used to be a big sack # player.

The market is going to insanely drive up Mack's price.  He is a marquee free agent just like Carl Nicks was when he got 7 years/49 million.  He will not be here. I'd be super surprised if he even visited.

I imagine two AP players on our team are going to get a hefty raise this off-season and they will attempt to sign MJ and AC.  The rest will go to maybe one solid role player somewhere and the rest draft picks.

Knowshon Moreno is a free agent...

I wonder if they will retain him.  I love the way this guy plays.  Have since his UGA days.  He started off a little rough, but he runs, catches, and is great at picking up the blitz.  

I'm 100% with you. Collins is probably going to get about $4M per year. A younger, more talented, more proven Andre Smith only got about $6M per year last offseason. Other good OTs did even worse. 

Bengals would be nuts to even consider using the franchise tag at $11M or so on him. People seem to be vastly overrating the guy based on a handful of good starts. 

As far as RB goes, I think Plan A should be to draft a bigger back in the mid-rounds. Someone like Bernard Pierce of the Ravens who went late 3rd. I would be looking for a guy like BJGE but with better speed. 

I am normally against FA RBs, but there are going to be a ton of them on the market this offseason and it will be a huge buyer's market. If a talented veteran could be brought in dirt cheap that is better than BJGE, the Bengals would be stupid to not at least explore the possibility. I definitely wouldn't overpay anyone, but if you could get a vet on a 1 year "prove it" contract, that would possibly make sense. 

The market is going to insanely drive up Mack's price.  He is a marquee free agent just like Carl Nicks was when he got 7 years/49 million.  He will not be here. I'd be super surprised if he even visited.

I imagine two AP players on our team are going to get a hefty raise this off-season and they will attempt to sign MJ and AC.  The rest will go to maybe one solid role player somewhere and the rest draft picks.

Nicks may never play again. Teams have grown wary of paying big money to free agent interior O-linemen since the last one worth the money was Steve Hutchinson. Mack is probably worth more to Cleveland than any other team. They have plenty of cap space and a desperate need to hang on to some talent. Still they probably won't pay him like Nick Mangold's contract with the Jets, which he hasn't lived up to. I think Mack will get multiple offers within a mil of each other and it's just a matter of him picking which team he wants to play for. The Bengals can certainly afford him if they want him. Of course they have Paul Alexander telling the front office lies about which linemen are better than others and he thinks Cook is a good player.

Nicks may never play again. Teams have grown wary of paying big money to free agent interior O-linemen since the last one worth the money was Steve Hutchinson. Mack is probably worth more to Cleveland than any other team. They have plenty of cap space and a desperate need to hang on to some talent. Still they probably won't pay him like Nick Mangold's contract with the Jets, which he hasn't lived up to. I think Mack will get multiple offers within a mil of each other and it's just a matter of him picking which team he wants to play for. The Bengals can certainly afford him if they want him. Of course they have Paul Alexander telling the front office lies about which linemen are better than others and he thinks Cook is a good player.

No matter which way you spin it, the market is going to inflate the price way higher than he should be paid, and it will not be us paying it.  It just won't.  He will be signed within the first week of FA and we don't do any business within the first two weeks.

Mack absolutely, positively, will not be a Cincinnati Bengal.  

And just to add to it, I'm not sure how much cap we have, but we have to pay 18 and possibly 55 this off-season.  Both of those are going to be expensive.  Then we have to try to retain two good players and quite a few quality depth players.  If Andy plays well next year, then we have him to do next year and he would have us by the balls.  We can't afford to make a big splash.  This year, Hobson isn't lying.  

No matter which way you spin it, the market is going to inflate the price way higher than he should be paid, and it will not be us paying it.  It just won't.  He will be signed within the first week of FA and we don't do any business within the first two weeks.

Mack absolutely, positively, will not be a Cincinnati Bengal.  

And just to add to it, I'm not sure how much cap we have, but we have to pay 18 and possibly 55 this off-season.  Both of those are going to be expensive.  Then we have to try to retain two good players and quite a few quality depth players.  If Andy plays well next year, then we have him to do next year and he would have us by the balls.  We can't afford to make a big splash.  This year, Hobson isn't lying.

alleycat posted a great salary cap website that if accurate has me believing that we wont be big players in FA, Michael Johnson won't be back, AD and Burfict won't get extensions until next offseason.

I think that depends on what other LTs are free agents.  If AC is seen as the best LT on the market he could get paid. 

As for Andre, he was still seen as having some potential maturity issues, and he's a RT.

A quick look at Bengals' free agents\
January, 12, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

The following is a quick, early look at possible Cincinnati Bengals free agents going into the next two offseasons.

As you can see, the list of targets to be re-signed ahead of the 2015 season will be a long one. Some of those players may be given contract extensions this offseason.

We'll go more in-depth this coming week analyzing what possible signings out of this year's Bengals free agent pool could mean for those players, and the likelihood that each of them could be re-signed.

2014 Bengals free agents

LB Michael Boley
OT Anthony Collins
DB Chris Crocker
CB Brandon Ghee
WR Andrew Hawkins
DE Michael Johnson (will go to free agency if not franchise tagged a second-straight year)
DB Taylor Mays
OG Mike Pollak
LB Vincent Rey
OT Dennis Roland
WR Dane Sanzenbacher
TE Alex Smith
WR Ryan Whalen

2015 Bengals free agents

DE Christo Bilukidi
OG Clint Boling
LB Vontaze Burfict
C Kyle Cook