• _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg
  • print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  •  
  •  

Chris Houston was the best cornerback in Detroit from 2010-2012, and was rewarded with a five-year, $25 million contract last offseason. Injuries struck, and now he'll only see one year of that deal.

The Lions released Houston Friday, noting his toe surgery this offseason.

ESPN - Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Tuesday Ryan Fitzpatrick will be club's starting quarterback
ESPN - Marshawn Lynch plans to participate in minicamp while negotiating contract with Seahawks - sources
ESPN - QB Johnny Manziel agrees to contract with Browns; selected 22nd overall in NFL Draft

ESPN - U.S. Patent Office cancels Redskins' trademark, calling nickname "disparaging to Native Americans"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11102096/us-patent-office-cancels-washington-redskins-trademark

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Patent Office has ruled the Washington Redskins nickname is "disparaging of Native Americans'' and that the team's federal trademarks for the name must be canceled.

The ruling announced Wednesday comes after a campaign to change the name has gained momentum over the past year.

The decision by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board is similar to one it issued in 1999. That ruling was overturned in 2003 in large part on a technicality because the courts decided that the plaintiffs were too old.

The new case was launched in 2006 by a younger group of Native Americans. A hearing was held in March 2013.

Just like last time, the Redskins can retain their trademark protection during an appeal.

SI reporting Ray Rice looking at 4-6 game suspension

I have to think 4 would be the maximum.  Guy has no other prior issues with the league I believe.  6 would be pretty hard to justify even though he did do something pretty crappy.   If he had some history, I could see 6 but that is not the case. 

T.J. Yates wasn't released by the Texans after all.

Houston reversed course Wednesday and traded the quarterback to Atlanta, the Falcons announced. In exchange, the Texans received linebacker Akeem Dent.

The reason the Texans didn't end up releasing Yates? Once word got out they were parting ways with the QB, teams started calling, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a Texans source.

T.J. Yates wasn't released by the Texans after all.

Houston reversed course Wednesday and traded the quarterback to Atlanta, the Falcons announced. In exchange, the Texans received linebacker Akeem Dent.

The reason the Texans didn't end up releasing Yates? Once word got out they were parting ways with the QB, teams started calling, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a Texans source.

I wasn't aware you could UNRELEASE a player.   You would think the Texans, hell, any football organization would have a some idea of the worth of a player on the open market.  Not saying the Texans got rich on the deal but it does make them look a little amateurish. 

I wasn't aware you could UNRELEASE a player.   You would think the Texans, hell, any football organization would have a some idea of the worth of a player on the open market.  Not saying the Texans got rich on the deal but it does make them look a little amateurish. 

I don't think the move was official, documented with the NFL.....more like rumors and info leaking that the intention was to release Yates.   But when teams started calling, as they knew nothing official had been done with the NFL in regards to filing release paperwork etc...they inquired about his availability.  The Falcons obviously offered the best deal in the minds of the Texans. 

I think.  

Well you can't.  I assume the reports were premature and the calls they got before finishing the paperwork changed their mind.  If they had released Yates, Atlanta could have just signed him and given up nothing.

Archived