Coaching Change Winners

*** Only included what related to the Bengals but an interesting take.

Full article.....  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coaching-change-winners-044800630--nfl.html

Coaching Change Winners
By Adam Levitan7 hours agoRotoworld

When evaluating players over the long term, talent trumps everything. But in the short term, there are many other factors that come into play. A coach’s scheme almost always becomes crucial. 

Two easy examples from the 2013 season were the “X” receiver in the Shanahan & Son offense (Pierre Garcon) and the tight end in the Rob Chudzinski/Norv Turner Scheme (Jordan Cameron).  Garcon led the NFL in targets and catches, while Cameron trailed only Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez in tight end receptions. They were layups. 

This year, seven teams will have new coaches and 12 will have new offensive coordinators. A look at who has benefitted from the changes follows below. I’ll be back next with the coaching change losers.

HEAD COACHING CHANGES
Cleveland: Mike Pettine replaces Rob Chudzinski
Detroit: Jim Caldwell replaces Jim Schwartz
Houston: Bill O’Brien replaces Gary Kubiak
Minnesota: Mike Zimmer replaces Leslie Frazier
Tampa Bay: Lovie Smith replaces Greg Schiano
Tennessee: Ken Whisenhunt replaces Mike Munchak
Washington: Jay Gruden replaces Mike Shanahan

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR CHANGES
Baltimore: Gary Kubiak replaces Jim Caldwell
Cleveland: Kyle Shanahan replaces Norv Turner
Cincinnati: Hue Jackson replaces Jay Gruden
Detroit: Joe Lombardi replaces Scott Linehan
Houston: Rick Dennison has not been replaced yet.
Miami: Bill Lazor replaces Mike Sherman
Minnesota: Norv Turner replaces Bill Musgrave
New York Giants: Ben McAdoo replaces Kevin Gilbride
San Diego: Frank Reich replaces Ken Whisenhunt
Tampa Bay: Jeff Tedford replaces Mike Sullivan
Tennessee: Jason Michael replaces Dowell Loggains
Washington: Sean McVay replaces Kyle Shanahan

WINNERS
1. Gio Bernard, RB, Bengals
We’re going to talk a lot about Jay Gruden in this column because he had such a profound effect on the Bengals as the true boss of the offense. Gruden believes in rotations where possible, and also skews himself toward the pass (Bengals were 18th in rush attempts, 12th in pass attempts). It led to the electric Bernard getting just 170 carries as a rookie while plodding BenJarvus Green-Ellis got 220.

So based on the above, we know Bernard gets a boost simply from Gruden moving on. And Gio gets another boost as a second-year player entering his prime while 29-year-old (in July) BJGE continues to pile up tread. But the biggest boost comes from the promotion of Hue Jackson to offensive coordinator. Jackson has been a running backs coach for most of his career, ever since he broke into the NFL with the Redskins in 2001. When he’s been an offensive coordinator or head coach, his runners have usually flourished:

2001 Redskins: Stephen Davis 356 carries, 1432 yards, 5 TDs in 16 games
2002 Redskins: Stephen Davis 207 carries, 820 yards, 7 TDs in 12 games
2003 Redskins: Trung Canidate 142 carries, 600 yards, 1 TD in 11 games
2007 Falcons: Warrick Dunn 227 carries, 720 yards, 4 TDs in 16 games
2010 Raiders: Darren McFadden 223 carries, 1157 yards, 7 TDs in 13 games
2011 Raiders: Michael Bush 256 carries, 977 yards, 7 TDs in 16 games; Darren McFadden 113 carries, 614 yards, 4 TDs in 7 games.

Note that in two years (20 games) with Jackson, McFadden averaged 5.27 YPC and scored 11 touchdowns. In DMC’s other four years (47 games), he’s averaged 3.55 YPC and scored 12 touchdowns. Hue knows how to take advantage of running back talent and Bernard has gobs of it. Expect Gio to leave BJGE in the dust. 

2. Robert Griffin III, QB, Redskins
In 2013, RG3 suffered from the syndrome commonly referred to as Adrian Peterson expectationitis. He blew out his knee in January, but everyone still expected him to step right in come September and improve on a record-setting rookie season. It was never realistic. 

When Week 1 of the 2014 rolls around, Griffin will be roughly 21 months removed from his knee tear. And instead of the Shanahan & Son offense built around the zone-blocking run game, he’ll be getting the plays from new pass-happy head coach Jay Gruden. 

Gruden is coming off a season in which he allowed Andy Dalton to attempt 586 passes (36.6 per game). That resulted in 4,296 yards, 33 touchdowns and No. 5 ranking among fantasy quarterbacks. RG3 is at least twice as talented as Dalton, boasting superior arm strength and mobility. Gruden plans to utilize that athleticism, which should be back near 2012 levels for 2014 Opening Day.

“I would be foolish to try to turn RG3 into a pocket passer. It would be foolish,” Gruden told MMQB. “The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I’m going to let him be himself.”

Add up Gruden’s penchant for the passing game, Griffin’s health and the plan to let him run wild, and we have the makings of a big bounce-back season. 

So Gruden was both the best and the worst for this offense?

"Gruden is coming off a season in which he allowed Andy Dalton to attempt 586 passes (36.6 per game). That resulted in 4,296 yards, 33 touchdowns and No. 5 ranking among fantasy quarterbacks. RG3 is at least twice as talented as Dalton, boasting superior arm strength and mobility."

I think what they're saying is that Dalton isn't talented enough to let him throw that much. Which is probably true.

So Gruden was both the best and the worst for this offense?

Let me be the first to say....

"Hue Jackson is a piece of shit.  With players like AJ, Sanu, Jones and pass catching machines at tight end with Eifert and Gresham, elite quarterback in Andy Dalton we should be throwing the ball more.  WTF is with this run run run shit! "

or something like that.

You KNOW its coming some time next season.

:ph34r: 

"[font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gruden is coming off a season in which he allowed [/size][/font]Andy Dalton[font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] to attempt 586 passes (36.6 per game). That resulted in 4,296 yards, 33 touchdowns and No. 5 ranking among fantasy quarterbacks. RG3 is at least twice as talented as Dalton, boasting superior arm strength and mobility."[/size][/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think what they're saying is that Dalton isn't talented enough to let him throw that much. Which is probably true.[/size][/font]

Without going into the trillionth Andy thread...Guden "allowed" him to throw...? He fucking drafted him! Gruden is either the stupidest MF at the wheel...or he knew Andy could run his offense. Or his alleged genius can only work with supposed "elite" QB's who he didn't scout and draft.

Had an interesting talk with a member of the Bengals today.  He said that he felt the changes at both Coordinator positions would turn out well for the team.  The team felt that Jay sometimes gave a little preferential treatment to both Andy and AJ.  He thinks Hue will push both of them more than Jay did, and that the passing game will improve because of that.  He felt that there was a little too much read in Jays offense sometimes, and that it presented communications breakdowns, because both the receivers and the QB were trying to read too much.  He also said that the Bengals would like to get both AC and MJ back, and it seems both would really like to stay as well.  He also said that Guenther is going to be great as a DC, that they felt like they were tied at the hip, and Guenther could complete Zimmer's sentences they were so close.  Guenther's not quite as in your face, but he doesn't take any shit, and they know it.  He's a Technique, Technique, Technique guy, and he does like to blitz, so don't be surprised if we see him dial it up a little more, especially with Taze and VRey/Lamur.  Injury wise, Lamur, Leon, and Geno seem to be ahead of schedule, and he told me Dre will be Ok at Corner, the light bulb seemed to go on for him as he got a little more time, and he lives in Leon and Newman's back pocket. 

Had an interesting talk with a member of the Bengals today.  He said that he felt the changes at both Coordinator positions would turn out well for the team.  The team felt that Jay sometimes gave a little preferential treatment to both Andy and AJ.  He thinks Hue will push both of them more than Jay did, and that the passing game will improve because of that.  He felt that there was a little too much read in Jays offense sometimes, and that it presented communications breakdowns, because both the receivers and the QB were trying to read too much.  He also said that the Bengals would like to get both AC and MJ back, and it seems both would really like to stay as well.  He also said that Guenther is going to be great as a DC, that they felt like they were tied at the hip, and Guenther could complete Zimmer's sentences they were so close.  Guenther's not quite as in your face, but he doesn't take any shit, and they know it.  He's a Technique, Technique, Technique guy, and he does like to blitz, so don't be surprised if we see him dial it up a little more, especially with Taze and VRey/Lamur.  Injury wise, Lamur, Leon, and Geno seem to be ahead of schedule, and he told me Dre will be Ok at Corner, the light bulb seemed to go on for him as he got a little more time, and he lives in Leon and Newman's back pocket. 

You da man kenneth!  Good stuff. 

The players on defense LOVE Pauly G.  When Burfict was told that Zimmer had accepted Minnesota's HC position, his first words were...."But what about Pauly G?  We can't lose Pauly G". 

I hope he's right about Dre because him being up to speed as a starting CB would go a long way in allowing the Bengals to truly take BPA in the draft. 

You da man kenneth!  Good stuff. 

The players on defense LOVE Pauly G.  When Burfict was told that Zimmer had accepted Minnesota's HC position, his first words were...."But what about Pauly G?  We can't lose Pauly G". 

I hope he's right about Dre because him being up to speed as a starting CB would go a long way in allowing the Bengals to truly take BPA in the draft. 

Well this guy was a D player, and when he first told me, it sounded like they wanted Zimmer gone and my eyes kinda went up, but he realized how it sounded, and said that they expected someone to take Z as a head coach and that he deserved it, and that everybody wanted Pauly to take his place, they felt it was his job.

Well this guy was a D player, and when he first told me, it sounded like they wanted Zimmer gone and my eyes kinda went up, but he realized how it sounded, and said that they expected someone to take Z as a head coach and that he deserved it, and that everybody wanted Pauly to take his place, they felt it was his job.

I also heard there was going to be a mutiny if Pauly G didnt get the job....not really a mutiny but players wouldn't be happy.   Anyone who can get James Harrison's respect is going to get the rest of the D's respect.  He's a damn good coach.  A little goofy at times but really knows football. 

coach, player or staff?  I'd guess not player based on some of the info.

Thanks for sharing.

:41:

Awesome shit, Kenneth, thanks for sharing.

Any word on how Mays is doing?

:41:

Awesome shit, Kenneth, thanks for sharing.

Any word on how Mays is doing?

I didn't think to ask about Mays. My big thing was the coordinators. The one thing he told me, was that the whole team felt like they let the City and the fans down, and they really didn't like that feeling. I hope it burns them all offseason.

Good stuff K. I especially like the part about Hue pushing Andy and AJ. As good as AJ is, there were times he didn't exactly bust his ass to get to a ball. Some of this was probably out of frustration and I get that.....maybe Hue can get these guys to take it up a notch or two.

damn, a +12 for kenneth ( i also added to the total). the way he gets picked on, this is one for the archives! props my brother! :41:

Oh, the limits of only being able to award +1.

Let me now unfurl my tongue like a red carpet for you to dance on.

If even half of that turns out to be the case I'll be very happy man.

And now, to step into my role of GB psychologist and palm reader, let me just say that nothing about what was reported resonated more deeply with what we saw around here last year (and with my bitching) than the bit about Gruden's preferential treatment of AJ and Andy.  If you want to know how to make an offense soft, go ahead and follow Gruden's script.

And how can you not laugh at the fucking irony of sending THAT guy into THAT situation in Washington LMAO.  I'll be buying extra weenies and marshmallows to fully enjoy watching DC burn next season.

Archived