Enquirer's 1st Mock

I think I'd go Kony Ealy if those are the guys left (assuming MJ leaves). He seems to be a pretty great fit here as he has the size and length we seem to love at DE but a little more of a speed rush than our other guys. 

I could also see a case made for Moses if they think he can play LT or Fuller/Verrett if they rate either of those CBs highly. 

Louis Nix is another interesting guy. I know the coaches seem to like Thompson, but he is a Vince Wilfork type who is just a huge man. I don't think he falls to 24, but if he does, he (or Donald if they go small DT) could be a BPA pick on the D Line.

Fun to talk about, but still really tough to do pre-FA.

In this scenario, the Bengals should run at a dead fucking sprint and take Timmy Jernigan.

I'd say there's very little chance he'll still be there, but you never know...

Donald running ridiculously fast at the combine certainly didn't help him. 

Those undersized DTs don't fit in every defense and I think its pretty clear that Timmy isn't even at the top of the undersized DT list anymore. 

Donald running ridiculously fast at the combine certainly didn't help him. 

Those undersized DTs don't fit in every defense and I think its pretty clear that Timmy isn't even at the top of the undersized DT list anymore. 

Two things...

Aaron Donald might be the biggest boom/bust guy in this draft.

He's also in a different category of undersized than Jernigan.

Verrett or Fuller.

I could see that.

In the Enquirer mock (I guess that was Reedy's last official Bengals activity) I was happy to get Gilbert.  Not a chance it happens though.

As for the Bengals.com mock, I'd take Verrett.

I think Gilbert is a top ten pick.  Kick return ability is a great measure of athleticism.  Add in his ball skills and aggressiveness and you've got one hell of a ballplayer. I was hoping he'd run 4.6 and slide to the end of the first round.  No such luck...

In the Enquirer mock (I guess that was Reedy's last official Bengals activity) I was happy to get Gilbert.  Not a chance it happens though.

As for the Bengals.com mock, I'd take Verrett.

There's 70+ days to go, so stuff can happen… but I think GIlbert was the most impressive DB out there yesterday, which didn't surprise me one bit. He had somewhat of an up and down career (junior year wasn't great, but senior year was very strong), whereas Dennard has been more consistently good at MSU. Gilbert being an outstanding kick returner certainly adds to his desirability, and I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Detroit take him at 10. Dennard, I could see someone like Pittsburgh taking - tough, physical, in your face guy who they'd look to match up with AJ and Josh Gordon within the division.

I think Verrett was excellent as well, and he's not a small guy. Short, maybe, but he's put together. Love the attitude he plays with, and as someone else stated on another thread, he was probably the most impressive guy on the on-field drills yesterday. He's had a great career at TCU - he gets his hands on a lot of footballs, and he'll hit you. 

I'm guessing if the draft plays  out this way we would look to trade out of the first round completely.  I'd hope for an extra 2 and 3 or 4 this year, but I wouldn't hate it if we got a 1 and 3 next year or something like that.  I can't recall if we've ever traded out of the first round, but I would't be upset if we did.

I'm sure none of this would add up on that draft trade chart that surfaces every year.

I'd probably look at Shazier.  I think he a Burfict would be a bitch together.

I'm not sure he'll be there when we pick in the 2nd but might be considered a reach in the 1st.  I can only imagine him and Burfict on the field together.  It would be a bitch.  Shaz and Taz.  The real question comes with how much importance the Bengals might place on an OLB in the 1st or 2nd.  We do know the Bengals have met with him.

Here is some additional info;

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119571&draftyear=2015&genpos=OLB

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/2/23/5440280/bengals-meet-with-ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier

I would love Shazier at WLB and Burfict in the middle with Rey, James H or Lamur at SLB, but they seem content with Burfict at WLB and Rey at MLB, so I just don't think it happens.

But if Shazier does run under 4.5 at his pro day, SS anyone?  

I would love Shazier at WLB and Burfict in the middle with Rey, James H or Lamur at SLB, but they seem content with Burfict at WLB and Rey at MLB, so I just don't think it happens.

But if Shazier does run under 4.5 at his pro day, SS anyone?  

He says he runs a 4.35...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000281494/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-says-he-runs-a-435-40yard-dash

Shazier (6-foot-2, 230 pounds) told the newspaper he runs a 4.35 40-yard dash. That's probably hyperbole, considering that the time would be blazing fast for a wide receiver or cornerback, much less a linebacker. Still, there is no doubt Shazier is one of the fastest linebackers in the nation.

SS.  Hmmm, if Vance Joseph and Marvin sign off on it.  Not so sure now that Zimmer is gone.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/blogging-the-buckeyes/2014/02/shazier-makes-mark-at-nfl-combine.html

Didn't run the 40 because of a hamstring injury...

He says he runs a 4.35...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000281494/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-says-he-runs-a-435-40yard-dash

SS.  Hmmm, if Vance Joseph and Marvin sign off on it.  Not so sure now that Zimmer is gone.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/blogging-the-buckeyes/2014/02/shazier-makes-mark-at-nfl-combine.html

Didn't run the 40 because of a hamstring injury...

But he did the jump?

Archived