2014 Free Agency Thread

Some interesting tweets from Dehner today....

Paul Dehner Jr.‏@pauldehnerjr6h
@JasonB_Marcum @BMeek23 @Jake_NFL Maybe match, but there's not as much $ available as people think.

Blake Meek‏@BMeek236h
@pauldehnerjr @JasonB_Marcum @Jake_NFL I'm not buying that. There is plenty of money there. Everything out there says 29 mil under cap

Paul Dehner Jr.‏@pauldehnerjr6 hrs
@BMeek23 It's $23. Then you count $15-$20 mil or so for draft, RFA, injuries, dead $,etc., you're prob looking at $4-$7 mil to spend.

Blake Meek‏@BMeek236h
@pauldehnerjr your number is lower than EVERYONE else's. there is no possible way we have 4-7 mil to spend on Collins and Johnson

@BMeek23 How many people you are getting numbers from have talked w/ #Bengals management in the last week?

@BMeek23 That's fine, I'm only telling you reality of what they are saying and thats ALL that really matters here.

Sounds like in addition to the normal "pad" for injuries, rookies and other bullshit we have managed to magically make $6M in cap space disappear to the point where we have only $4-7M of real space to sign guys. The creative accounting this team uses never ceases to amaze me.

The way the Bengals and the guys cover them do cap math, we'll probably cut Cook, BJGE & Maualuga and be a couple of million over the cap with no other moves. :D

I know he's not a free agent, but not worth its own thread.

Listening to ESPN1530, and since I have been listening, 2 guys have asked about Revis.

Really?

Does anyone really pay attention?  The Bengals don't go after big money A-list guys!

Not that I don't think Revis isn't a very good corner, but considering the money involved, there are about a half dozen FA corners on the market that I would just as soon have (we won't sisn them either).

Not that I don't think Revis isn't a very good corner, but considering the money involved, there are about a half dozen FA corners on the market that I would just as soon have (we won't sisn them either).

Yes Something-Hyphen-Cromartie is an FA and doesn't have the boat anchor of a 16 million dollar payoff this year looming.

Plus if Revis has one good season on his new contract 50/50 chance he'll want more money. Motherfucker is greedy lol

Well the fact that his teams keep saying they will pay X and then deciding later not to when he hasn't declined in value might have a little to do with this.

And yet, after watching Gabbert, getting a sixth for him seems a veritable steal.

Not the way Jax drafts it isn't.

Posted this in other thread but...

@AlbertBreer: Bengals WR Andrew Hawkins has a multi-year offer sheet from Cleveland. He's a restricted FA, so when signed, Cincy has matching rights.

@AlbertBreer: ... And just to be clear, Andrew Hawkins plans to sign the offer sheet with the Browns. So the Bengals will have to mull over matching it.

Follow up tweet that it's for four years

The way the Bengals and the guys cover them do cap math, we'll probably cut Cook, BJGE & Maualuga and be a couple of million over the cap with no other moves. :D

Dehner is beclowning himself by repeating the BS from the front office. 

Bengals dead money at start of day was $984,275.72  Assuming the dead money hit for Cook for 2015 was taken this year then they are now at $2,264,275.72

The 3 RFA tenders are less than 4.5 mil. Rookies are irrelevant to overall cap discussion. 3-4 mil is plenty for injuries. The cost savings from cutting Cook more than cover Pollak's cost. We don't know what Tate is signed for yet but it won't be much, probably under a mil. The Bengals have lots of cap space to spend if they wish. They don't wish to spend freely which is fine but lying to people like Dehner who don't know how the cap works is dishonest.

Dehner is beclowning himself by repeating the BS from the front office. 

Bengals dead money at start of day was $984,275.72  Assuming the dead money hit for Cook for 2015 was taken this year then they are now at $2,264,275.72

The 3 RFA tenders are less than 4.5 mil. Rookies are irrelevant to overall cap discussion. 3-4 mil is plenty for injuries. The cost savings from cutting Cook more than cover Pollak's cost. We don't know what Tate is signed for yet but it won't be much, probably under a mil. The Bengals have lots of cap space to spend if they wish. They don't wish to spend freely which is fine but lying to people like Dehner who don't know how the cap works is dishonest.

You seem as if you understand the cap pretty well. Please help out a novice, like myself.

1) how exactly are rookies irrelevant to the cap?

2) does the 29 million under the cap include the money we rolled over from last year?

3) how much money do we actually have to spend when you include injuries, draft, restricted FA?

4) how then can the organization get away with giving out the 4-7 million number?

Posted this in other thread but...
@AlbertBreer: Bengals WR Andrew Hawkins has a multi-year offer sheet from Cleveland. He's a restricted FA, so when signed, Cincy has matching rights.
@AlbertBreer: ... And just to be clear, Andrew Hawkins plans to sign the offer sheet with the Browns. So the Bengals will have to mull over matching it.
Follow up tweet that it's for four years

A reporter on the NFL Network just reported that the Browns guaranteed $$ is more than THREE times the Bengals original tender ($1.4m).

I'm guessing it's something like 4yrs 8m with $4.5 guaranteed. There's no way we'd match that.

Let's hope MB gets pissed and goes nasty after Mack with a nice contract they won't match...

Archived