2014 Free Agency Thread

I love Bernard but if we sign Blount thats a 1a and 1b situation. I think there is a very good argument that Blount is the better back of the 2. I would easily offer him what we are paying the Firm. 

You're a strange bird MW.  To me it seems like you take one period of time or one evaluation of a player and hold onto that for eternity. Blount had off-field issues coming out of college.  Was mediocre at best for 2 years in TB, they draft Martin and let Blount rot on the bench.  Then he goes to a team that makes nobodies look like superstars when they join and superstars look like nobodies when they leave.  Has a revival second half of the season after injuries and fumbling issues brought him from #3 to #1 on the depth chart and suddenly he's pretty awesome?

I think he would be an upgrade over BJGE but that's it.  He's 28, fumbles every 50 carries and gives you nothing in the pass game, he'd certainly be #2 here.

UPDATE: Browns pursued CB Darrelle Revis via trade, but could not complete deal because Revis wouldn't agree to pay cut. (via media reports)

Nobody in their right mind will match his current salary via a trade.   Revis still thinks he is 26 years old and playing for the Jets AND teams other than the Browns have a closet full of cash laying around.

You're a strange bird MW.  To me it seems like you take one period of time or one evaluation of a player and hold onto that for eternity. Blount had off-field issues coming out of college.  Was mediocre at best for 2 years in TB, they draft Martin and let Blount rot on the bench.  Then he goes to a team that makes nobodies look like superstars when they join and superstars look like nobodies when they leave.  Has a revival second half of the season after injuries and fumbling issues brought him from #3 to #1 on the depth chart and suddenly he's pretty awesome?

I think he would be an upgrade over BJGE but that's it.  He's 28, fumbles every 50 carries and gives you nothing in the pass game, he'd certainly be #2 here.

He had 1000 yards his rookie year and looked like one of the best backs in the league 2 of the last 3 weeks of his last year. I don't recall other backs looking like that in NEs system and certainly not power backs. 

ESPN - Saints re-sign RB Pierre Thomas to 2-year deal; 549 rushing yards, 513 receiving yards, 5 TD last season

Dammit!  He would have been a perfect guy to have in place of BJGE.  Wonder what the details of that contract are.  I would imagine he's getting less than 7mil total. 

Blount was a head case in. College road the pine in tb and has half a decent season. Pass pass pass. Would rather draft someone. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals had Clemons in for a visit. Wouldn't mind him at the right price. Only one year removed from 3 11+ sack seasons.

Dammit!  He would have been a perfect guy to have in place of BJGE.  Wonder what the details of that contract are.  I would imagine he's getting less than 7mil total. 

He is beloved in New Orleans.  Smart move by the Saints. 

@RapSheet: Whats going on with #Browns center Alex Mack? Im told 4 teams have been in contact on varying levels. Waiting for the frenzy to die down

@RapSheet: On Alex Mack? Yes. Ravens, too. RT @Steve_Cardenas: @RapSheet Are the Colts one of those teams?

Not a fan of the Ravens sniffing around...

He had 1000 yards his rookie year and looked like one of the best backs in the league 2 of the last 3 weeks of his last year. I don't recall other backs looking like that in NEs system and certainly not power backs. 

BJGE had a 1000 yard season more recently.  Zac Stacy and Bobby Rainey also looked like the best backs in the league during a random 3 week sampling.  2 absurd games and suddenly he's better than Gio or its at least debatable?  Blount also had games of 7 rushes for 15 yards, 4 for 11, 7 for 9, 2 for 13, and 5 for 6 in his biggest game of the year.  The Pats offense has been morphing consistently.  The point isn't that they haven't turned a nobody RB into a hall of famer before, but that they consistently get good production out of nobodies in different facets of their system, and most who leave don't match that same production.

I stand firm with my opinion, Blount is a slight upgrade over BJGE, but its laughable that anyone thinks he's suddenly really good.

BJGE had a 1000 yard season more recently.  Zac Stacy and Bobby Rainey also looked like the best backs in the league during a random 3 week sampling.  2 absurd games and suddenly he's better than Gio or its at least debatable?  Blount also had games of 7 rushes for 15 yards, 4 for 11, 7 for 9, 2 for 13, and 5 for 6 in his biggest game of the year.  The Pats offense has been morphing consistently.  The point isn't that they haven't turned a nobody RB into a hall of famer before, but that they consistently get good production out of nobodies in different facets of their system, and most who leave don't match that same production.

I stand firm with my opinion, Blount is a slight upgrade over BJGE, but its laughable that anyone thinks he's suddenly really good.

Its not suddenly, he averaged over four yards a carry three of his 4 years in the league. The only issue is he isn't a pass catcher. 

Great post. I've made similar points, but he doesn't seem to buy it because he found some NFL network segment where some random guy named Heath something listed Blount as the #2 RB on the market. 

The Pats beat writers think he will end up signing a short term deal for a little over $1M per year. Which shows pretty clearly that NFL execs and talent evaluators don't hold the same sky high opinion of him. 

Great post. I've made similar points, but he doesn't seem to buy it because he found some NFL network segment where some random guy named Heath something listed Blount as the #2 RB on the market. 

The Pats beat writers think he will end up signing a short term deal for a little over $1M per year. Which shows pretty clearly that NFL execs and talent evaluators don't hold the same sky high opinion of him. 

Heath Evans, Blount's former teammate...

With the NFL free agency signing period kicking-off with a huge bang over the first 24 hours, there's still a number of quality players left to sign. Here's a look at the 50-best players left on the market.

Darrelle Revis

CB

Buccaneers

Alex Mack*

C

Browns

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

CB

Broncos

Jason Hatcher

DT

Cowboys

Henry Melton

DT

Bears

Eric Decker

WR

Broncos

BJ Raji

DT

Packers

Wesley Woodyard

LB

Broncos

Ben Tate

RB

Texans

Brandon Spikes

LB

Patriots

Jared Allen

DE

Vikings

Anthony Collins

OT

Bengals

Hakeem Nicks

WR

Giants

Michael Vick

QB

Eagles

Julius Peppers

LB

Bears

Walter Thurmond

CB

Seahawks

Justin Tuck

DE

Giants

James Jones

WR

Packers

Daryl Smith

LB

Ravens

Chris Clemons

S

Dolphins

Julian Edelman

WR

Patriots

Captain Munnerlyn

CB

Panthers

Corey Wootton

DE

Bears

Emmanuel Sanders

WR

Steelers

Pat Sims

DT

Raiders

Mike Neal

OLB

Packers

Knowshon Moreno

RB

Broncos

Lamarr Woodley

OLB

Steelers

Charles Tillman

CB

Bears

Shaun Phillips

DE

Broncos

Brian de la Puente

C

Saints

Anthony Spencer

OLB

Cowboys

Michael Oher

OT

Ravens

Darren Sproles**

RB

Saints

Brandon Pettigrew

TE

Lions

Travelle Wharton

OG

Panthers

Brandon Browner

CB

Seahawks

Maurice Jones-Drew

RB

Jaguars

Tarell Brown

CB

49ers

Willie Young

DE

Lions

Chris Clemons

DE

Seahawks

Garrett Graham

TE

Texans

Chris Cook

CB

Vikings

Zach Strief

OT

Saints

Kevin Williams

DT

Vikings

Ryan Clark

S

Steelers

Evan Dietrich-Smith

C

Packers

James Starks

RB

Packers

Vincent Rey***

LB

Bengals

Antonio Cromartie

CB

Jets

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/12/5501862/nfl-free-agency-top-50-unsigned-players

Archived