2014 Free Agency Thread

I might have missed it in the 13 pages of this thread, but does anyone have info on this guard we are bringing in this week?

looks like he's a strong power run guy but has occasional lapses in pass pro.  

@AlfieBCC: Solid mauler when healthy. Banged up last 2 years, will have some whiffs in pass pro time to time.

Lots of comments on Nwaneri on the J'ville blog:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/3/4/5469692/uche-nwaneri-cut-jaguars

General gist seems to be he had some very good seasons in 2009-2011 but struggled with injuries a bit and his play fell off the last few years. He was still one of their 2 or 3 best starting OL, but that isn't saying much considering how poorly their OL played. Just wasn't worth almost $6M cap number and they saved $3.7M by cutting him.

Seems like he would be a solid, inexpensive signing and a guy who could compete to start.

Lots of comments on Nwaneri on the J'ville blog:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/3/4/5469692/uche-nwaneri-cut-jaguars

General gist seems to be he had some very good seasons in 2009-2011 but struggled with injuries a bit and his play fell off the last few years. He was still one of their 2 or 3 best starting OL, but that isn't saying much considering how poorly their OL played. Just wasn't worth almost $6M cap number and they saved $3.7M by cutting him.

Seems like he would be a solid, inexpensive signing and a guy who could compete to start.

it sounds very similar to the Travelle Wharton situation when they signed him.

So, Denver has now signed Aqib Talib to a giant contract, and right out from under Bill Belichik's nose. And they have already signed TJ Ward and are talking to Demarcus Ware. Did not know they had so much cap room. I think getting demolished in the Super Bowl has put the zap on Bowlen's head.

So, Denver has now signed Aqib Talib to a giant contract, and right out from under Bill Belichik's nose. And they have already signed TJ Ward and are talking to Demarcus Ware. Did not know they had so much cap room. I think getting demolished in the Super Bowl has put the zap on Bowlen's head.

Well, they might save some by having all their WRs leave.  They resigned Caldwell, but Decker is still out there.

Thats a steal for Verner.  I think he's a good player.

I was thinking the same thing.  It's a shame too, because at that price...Bengals could have had a top notch CB below market value.   Good CBs are making 9-10mil/yr.   I usually agree with the wait and see approach, but if Verner was only asking for 6.5, that's a move I'd make.  Another solid CB would make Margus Hunt and the rest of the DLine's job a little less difficult. 

Important note, #Bengals prefer Mo Sanu in slot and want him to have a more defined role next year. Not ask so much.

Sanu backed by Sanzenbacher in the slot?  AJ and Jones on the outside backed by Whalen, Tate and Hamilton?   Any of those last three seems suitable for the sixth receiver spot, but if Mo is moving inside on a more permanent basis, I'd like someone with a little more flash for the third outside spot.  Could make a mid-to-late round WR more of a possibility.

honestly I wish we could have snagged dansby before he went to miami. He got lost down there in that shit franchise.. looked alot better once he got back into a good scheme with AZ. Solid linebacker gettin up there though. Honestly what we have done the past few years has worked wonders for us (shopping for value instead of blowing our wad on the big name guy)

You seem as if you understand the cap pretty well. Please help out a novice, like myself.

1) how exactly are rookies irrelevant to the cap?

2) does the 29 million under the cap include the money we rolled over from last year?

3) how much money do we actually have to spend when you include injuries, draft, restricted FA?

4) how then can the organization get away with giving out the 4-7 million number?

1 There is a limit to how much a team's rookies can be paid. It's called the rookie pool and is the amount beyond the minimum salary that can be spent on rookies. But the team doesn't get separate roster spots for rookies in addition to vets. They all count against the limit of 53 players. So any rookies who make the team will take the place of vets. A team's cap compliance is determined based on the overall cap so it doesn't matter for cap purposes if all the rookies or none of the rookies make the roster.

2, Yes, the 29 mil includes adjustments and rollover from last season. LTBE incentives not earned are credited and NLTBE incentives earned are docked. 

3 The base cap number for all teams is 133 mil for 2014. Then each team's space is adjusted from that. The Bengals have over 140 to spend this season. 

4 Hobson is a propagandist. He should be ignored on anything cap related. Dehner is a journalist and most journalists are innumerate. 

haven't seen an official tweet yet, but a bunch of people on twitter are saying the Bengals plan to match Hawkins' deal.

@AdamSchefter: Bengals plan to match 4-yr, $12.2M offer sheet that includes $5,3M gtd that Cincinnati RFA WR Andrew Hawkins signed with Cleveland.

there ya go.

the Patriots have $14M in cap space and just let their only good corner bolt.  Where's the outrage?  Or does it only count when the Bengals don't re-sign a quality player?

Teams that win playoff games every single year get a little more slack than one who hasn't won one in decades.

Archived