2014 Free Agency Thread

ESPN - Saints do not intend to exercise 5th-year option on RB Mark Ingram's contract, source confirmed to ESPN

He has been very average in Nawlins for a first rounder. Guys like him are why RBs no longer get picked early.

ESPN - Redskins cut safety Tanard Jackson, who was reinstated by NFL on Monday after drug-related suspension

Dude's been suspended 3 of the last 4 yrs due to NFL substance policy I believe.  Just got reinstated from a 2 yr suspension.  Craziness. 

and Eddie Lacy says "get out of my way."

DJ Fluker will probably just sit on you. 

Marcel Dareus will punch you.

And Dre Kirkpatrick will hand them a water bottle when they are done.

Just kidding guys.

(Didn't really know which thread to put this in)

Moch expects Bengals to use him at end

May, 7, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- If the Cincinnati Bengals end up drafting a defensive end this weekend, that player will have his share of competition when training camp begins in July.

Not only will he be working out behind Carlos Dunlap, Robert Geathers, Wallace Gilberry and Margus Hunt, but he also will be practicing with Christo Bilukidi, a late-2013 addition, and offseason adds Sam Montgomery and Dontay Moch. Moch, who played outside linebacker in Arizona's 3-4 base defense last season, said earlier this week he was back in Cincinnati to play on the defensive line.

"Here, I'm playing D-end," said Moch, a former Bengals draft pick who is now in his second tour in stripes. "Doing what I do best. I'm pass-rushing and getting out there and putting my skills to the test."

There will be no dearth of bodies at defensive end this fall for the Bengals.

What the team will be looking for though is quality talent and quality depth throughout the position group. As the team expects to mix in even more rotating fronts and 3-4 packages in its base 4-3 scheme, it will be looking for as many versatile rush ends as possible. That's why having linemen with an outside linebacker's understanding of the defense could give the Bengals even more of an edge when putting pressure on the opposition. That's among the reasons Moch and Montgomery could end up having key roles at end alongside the four already in the regular rotation.

One of the hallmarks of Cincinnati's defense under previous defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was its ability to get to the quarterback. The Bengals' defensive line ranks eighth among all lines in sacks since 2008, the year Zimmer started. As an overall defense, they rank 18th in sacks collected since 2008. Like Dunlap said two weeks ago, though, a lot of the defense's blitz schemes were crafted by Paul Guenther, the former linebackers coach who was promoted to defensive coordinator in January. That's one reason why you shouldn't be surprised to see Moch and Montgomery rushing off the edge on occasion.

"A lot of our creative defenses came from Guenther," Dunlap said. "He brought Zim into the new era of football, I guess you could say."

Moch remembers how Guenther coached when he was on the roster before. He believes that Guenther's teaching methods can help him get on the field more this time around.

"He tries to break it down for anybody to understand," Moch said. "Any Joe Blow can come off the street and learn the system the way he teaches it. He tries to make sure he puts it out in a perspective for each person to learn because everyone learns differently. He'll draw it up and he'll tell you and he'll put it in football terms for you, whichever way you can learn."

From the moment in mid-March when head coach Marvin Lewis told Moch the Bengals wanted him back, the defender began reshaping his body to play defensive end. After playing at 260-plus pounds his first two seasons in the league with the Bengals, he slimmed down to 240 pounds last season to better fit Arizona's plans at outside linebacker. The lowered weight made him a little faster, and better able to rush from his deeper stand-up position. Upon his return to the Queen City two weeks ago, Moch began working his way back to his current 255.

"Once they told me I was coming back here, I just started putting the weight back on. Weight regimen, eating regimen," Moch said.

To gain the pounds so quickly, he ate 8-10 times a day and worked out two or three times a day.

Whether the eating and weightlifting is worth it remains to be seen. Moch is only on a one-year contract and will have to prove himself once camp opens. When it does, he doesn't care if he ends up getting moved back to outside linebacker or rotates between the line and the secondary. He just wants to play.

"My career has always been as a rush-end or a blitzer and I've always enjoyed it," Moch said. "No matter where I'm coming from -- the backfield or the sides or even from deep down safety -- you put me there, I'll get it done."

(Didn't really know which thread to put this in)

Moch expects Bengals to use him at end

May, 7, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- If the Cincinnati Bengals end up drafting a defensive end this weekend, that player will have his share of competition when training camp begins in July.

Not only will he be working out behind Carlos Dunlap, Robert Geathers, Wallace Gilberry and Margus Hunt, but he also will be practicing with Christo Bilukidi, a late-2013 addition, and offseason adds Sam Montgomery and Dontay Moch. Moch, who played outside linebacker in Arizona's 3-4 base defense last season, said earlier this week he was back in Cincinnati to play on the defensive line.

"Here, I'm playing D-end," said Moch, a former Bengals draft pick who is now in his second tour in stripes. "Doing what I do best. I'm pass-rushing and getting out there and putting my skills to the test."

There will be no dearth of bodies at defensive end this fall for the Bengals.

What the team will be looking for though is quality talent and quality depth throughout the position group. As the team expects to mix in even more rotating fronts and 3-4 packages in its base 4-3 scheme, it will be looking for as many versatile rush ends as possible. That's why having linemen with an outside linebacker's understanding of the defense could give the Bengals even more of an edge when putting pressure on the opposition. That's among the reasons Moch and Montgomery could end up having key roles at end alongside the four already in the regular rotation.

One of the hallmarks of Cincinnati's defense under previous defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was its ability to get to the quarterback. The Bengals' defensive line ranks eighth among all lines in sacks since 2008, the year Zimmer started. As an overall defense, they rank 18th in sacks collected since 2008. Like Dunlap said two weeks ago, though, a lot of the defense's blitz schemes were crafted by Paul Guenther, the former linebackers coach who was promoted to defensive coordinator in January. That's one reason why you shouldn't be surprised to see Moch and Montgomery rushing off the edge on occasion.

"A lot of our creative defenses came from Guenther," Dunlap said. "He brought Zim into the new era of football, I guess you could say."

Moch remembers how Guenther coached when he was on the roster before. He believes that Guenther's teaching methods can help him get on the field more this time around.

"He tries to break it down for anybody to understand," Moch said. "Any Joe Blow can come off the street and learn the system the way he teaches it. He tries to make sure he puts it out in a perspective for each person to learn because everyone learns differently. He'll draw it up and he'll tell you and he'll put it in football terms for you, whichever way you can learn."

From the moment in mid-March when head coach Marvin Lewis told Moch the Bengals wanted him back, the defender began reshaping his body to play defensive end. After playing at 260-plus pounds his first two seasons in the league with the Bengals, he slimmed down to 240 pounds last season to better fit Arizona's plans at outside linebacker. The lowered weight made him a little faster, and better able to rush from his deeper stand-up position. Upon his return to the Queen City two weeks ago, Moch began working his way back to his current 255.

"Once they told me I was coming back here, I just started putting the weight back on. Weight regimen, eating regimen," Moch said.

To gain the pounds so quickly, he ate 8-10 times a day and worked out two or three times a day.

Whether the eating and weightlifting is worth it remains to be seen. Moch is only on a one-year contract and will have to prove himself once camp opens. When it does, he doesn't care if he ends up getting moved back to outside linebacker or rotates between the line and the secondary. He just wants to play.

"My career has always been as a rush-end or a blitzer and I've always enjoyed it," Moch said. "No matter where I'm coming from -- the backfield or the sides or even from deep down safety -- you put me there, I'll get it done."

All that's great, but does he still get migraine headaches every fucking day?

Nice article.  The particular nugget I found most interesting was:

As the team expects to mix in even more rotating fronts and 3-4 packages in its base 4-3 scheme, it will be looking for as many versatile rush ends as possible.

That immediately puts guys like Anthony Barr and Stephon Tuitt into greater play than they may have been (and Aaron Donald on some level, although that's just because he can do anything like leap tall buildings in a single bound).  Perhaps more interestingly, it makes certain players I really like but haven't considered too much more possible in later rounds.

Chris Smith, here's looking at you.

• 4 weeks later...
June 1 could result in mini-surge in free agency

Posted by Mike Florio on June 1, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT

AP
Before 2006, every June 1 created a second wave of free agency, via salary-cap rules that allowed teams to spread the salary-cap hit for cutting a veteran over two league years. It was, at the time, a pretty big deal. After 2006, teams acquired the ability to cut players before June 1 with a June 1 designation, which pretty much destroyed post-June 1 free agency.

But fear not, NFL fans heading into the slowest news month of the year (unless someone gets accused of murder like last June). After 20 years under the current free-agency system, more and more teams are figuring out the value of waiting until after June 1 to pursue certain free agents.

For veteran free agents who became available on March 11, signing them after June 1 results in no impact on the formula used for determining compensatory draft picks the following year. That applies to both the players former team and his new team. The acquisitions dont count as players lost by the former team, and they dont count as players gained by the new team.

Last year, the Ravens worked the system to perfection, signing veteran Jaguars linebacker Daryl Smith after June 1. He started 16 games last year.

This year, any players who became free agents on March 11 by the expiration of their prior contract fall into that same category. Some of the available names include defensive tackle Kevin Williams, defensive back Terrell Thomas, running back Ronnie Brown, tight end Jermichael Finley, and tackle Eric Winston.

Dont be shocked if the Ravens, who still dont have a clear plan at right tackle, give Winston a look-see.

Also, dont be shocked if the long-awaited reunion between Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterback Rex Grossman finally happens. Grossman knows Shanahans system as well as anyone, and he can help teach it to Johnny Manziel/Football/Cleveland/Vegas/Whatever.

For players whose contracts were terminated (like receiver Santonio Holmes), the compensatory-pick formula wont be an issue after June 1 because it never was an issue. The compensatory draft picks are determined only by gains and losses via veteran free agency.

So now you know your new thing for the day. And since theres a chance youll forget it by next year at this time, its already on our list of things to write about on June 1, 2015. And it will be the top story that day.

Unless someone gets accused of murder like last June.

Post June 1 signings begin with OL depth.

@GeoffHobsonCin: @Bengals sign OT Chandler Burden, a Greater Cincy native
@pauldehnerjr: #Bengals sign free agent OT Chandler Burden. Went to LaSalle, UK.
@ColeyHarvey: #Bengals sign OT Chandler Burden today. He's a Cincinnati-area native who played at Kentucky. At 89 players now.

Archived