2014 Free Agency Thread

Back to the topic of Cleveland. Since they were willing to pay him $10M for 2014. They probably are going to match and shell out $19M for 2 years right?

They have a similar amount of cap space to us right now. But with expensive extensions looming for Joe Haden, Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron, Jabaal Sheard and some others they are probably going to be pretty close up against the cap in the next year or 2 also.

In the long run, they'll end up having to make some tough decisions because they stupidly overpaid guys like Paul Kruger (who got $40M for 5 years with a bunch of it guaranteed), Karlos Dansby, Donte Whitner and Andrew Hawkins.

@pauldehnerjr: Montgomery was released by Houston for unspecified violation of team rules in Oct. Then signed by OAK and released in Dec.

@pauldehnerjr: Were red flags regarding effort, taking plays off, etc., when he came out of LSU. Obviously, Texans weren't having it to cut in Oct.

@AdamSchefter: Browns transition-tagged center Alex Mack signed his five-year, $42M offer sheet that includes $26M guaranteed with the Jaguars.

@AdamSchefter: Alex Mack can void final three years of deal with promise he cannot be tagged again. Deal also includes a no-trade provision.

@AdamSchefter: Alex Mack's offer sheet with Jags that the Browns now have 5 days to match pays him $10M this season and $8M in the four season after.

Browns matched.  

They are going to have to be wizards with the salary cap before long.  Josh Gordon, Joe Haden, and Cameron are all coming up soon.  $9 million for a center is nuts.

Browns matched.  

They are going to have to be wizards with the salary cap before long.  Josh Gordon, Joe Haden, and Cameron are all coming up soon.  $9 million for a center is nuts.

Wait until the Jags send them their REAL offer. :ninja:

It looks like this is a legit match, not the "Bengals plan to match" leaked info that led to a larger offer.....

Yep $10M, $8M, $8M, $8M, $8M yearly deals.... crazy.

Wait until the Jags send them their REAL offer. :ninja:

It looks like this is a legit match, not the "Bengals plan to match" leaked info that led to a larger offer.....

Yep $10M, $8M, $8M, $8M, $8M yearly deals.... crazy.

Mack can void the deal after 2 years also.

Browns matched.  

They have like 10 draft picks. Not all of these guys will be around long. Probably none of the big dudes they signed in FA. Maybe just Hawk if he turns it up out there.

Browns matched.  

Why in hell would they match that? He obviously doesn't want to be there, they can't trade him, and now they will be overpaying for a guy who is going to do just enough to not make himself look bad until he hits FA again.  Meanwhile his bloated contract will inevitably result in losing other players that might actually want to be there... Assuming anyone truly wants to be there.

But, hey - it's the Browns, so no real surprise.

Browns have no cap issues. Their problems are with management and lack of a QB. 

And now a center that's just going through the motions. I understand they don't have cap issues now, but as JC pointed out, 3 of their best players are close to free agency. Good news for us, though.

And now a center that's just going through the motions. I understand they don't have cap issues now, but as JC pointed out, 3 of their best players are close to free agency. Good news for us, though.

Right.  I can't see them being able to retain all of them.  Not at least without surrounding them with scrubs because their track record with drafts hasn't been stellar.

Damn wtf browns signed chris pressley. I aint even know he was a FA

I thought he was still with the Bengals. I always liked him - very effective blocker, but he really didn't give you much else re: ST ability or ability to run or catch. Slow as hell, but it was a good story for sure. Hope he gets cut from Cle and continues his career somewhere else. 

I thought he was still with the Bengals. I always liked him - very effective blocker, but he really didn't give you much else re: ST ability or ability to run or catch. Slow as hell, but it was a good story for sure. Hope he gets cut from Cle and continues his career somewhere else. 

They may end up running him 20 times a game when Tate gets hurt.

can't say I know much about this source, but he's followed by draft people like Todd McShay and Josh Norris and agents like Drew Rosenhaus and Rick Smith

Brandon Graham on Eagles trade block for over a month & no suitors. Eagles can't even pry 4th Rounder from CIN/ARIZ for 2010 13th pick.

Expect Eagles trade Brandon Graham to Bengals. Bengals love reclamation projects. Aaron Maybin, Derrick Harvey, Jamaal Anderson.

can't say I know much about this source, but he's followed by draft people like Todd McShay and Josh Norris and agents like Drew Rosenhaus and Rick Smith

Brandon Graham on Eagles trade block for over a month & no suitors. Eagles can't even pry 4th Rounder from CIN/ARIZ for 2010 13th pick.

Expect Eagles trade Brandon Graham to Bengals. Bengals love reclamation projects. Aaron Maybin, Derrick Harvey, Jamaal Anderson.

Is he serious?  Or is that pure speculation because of the reclamation angle?  

Archived