Bengals Sign Lewis to 1-year Extension

First, I don't agree with the move, or even bringing him back for 2014.  

All that is completely apart from the bullshit comments about the front office.  People are still acting like this is the pre-2002 Bengals extending their coach.  

No, they haven't won a playoff game, and that's not good enough.  But stop acting like the situation is so much worse than it is.

So you don't want Marvin Lewis back but you like the front office that decided to bring him back?

So you don't want Marvin Lewis back but you like the front office that decided to bring him back?

umm, yea?  Why not.  

Marvin's a good coach, and has been a godsend for this franchise, and the community for that matter.  Anyone who pretends otherwise is fooling themselves.  

Marvin is a highly respected coach in the NFL, particularly among the African American community.  You don't have to look any further than James Harrison and Vance Joseph specifically stating that Marvin is the reason they came to Cincinnati. There's that Vontaze Burfict guy too.

Me personally, I would have shaken things up this year.  Marvin has a wonderfully calm, steady, and smart management style.  His fault is that he doesn't wratchet up the sense of urgency when the playoffs hit.  I also think he doesn't micromanage enough, which is why you often saw his offensive coordinators doing things (like abandoning the run) that fly in the face of Marvin's longstanding personal philosophy.  

I would have promoted Hue to head coach and done whatever it took to keep Marvin in the front office.

As for the front office, only a fool doesn't see how they've changed over the last 12 years, and Marvin's a big reason for that.

Just out of curiosity... How does a fan accept or not accept mediocrity?  Not pay to go to a game?  Not buy a t-shirt?  Not watch on TV?  Bitch about decisions on a TEAM based message board?

I don't agree with everything that is done by the FO.  Hell, in the middle of the dark ages with fucking Mike Shula, I actually tried to become a Titans fan b/c I loved Eddie George... I couldn't do it.  I couldn't stop watching, reading about, and following the Bengals.  

I love the Bengals, the Buckeyes, the Reds, and the Bluejackets, and I am pissed off about all of them about as much as I am happy... but I can't help it.  I love sports and I have developed a connection to my favorite teams that will not go away.

exactly_zpsbc4868ab.gif

umm, yea?  Why not.  

Marvin's a good coach, and has been a godsend for this franchise, and the community for that matter.  Anyone who pretends otherwise is fooling themselves.  

Marvin is a highly respected coach in the NFL, particularly among the African American community.  You don't have to look any further than James Harrison and Vance Joseph specifically stating that Marvin is the reason they came to Cincinnati. There's that Vontaze Burfict guy too.

Me personally, I would have shaken things up this year.  Marvin has a wonderfully calm, steady, and smart management style.  His fault is that he doesn't wratchet up the sense of urgency when the playoffs hit.  I also think he doesn't micromanage enough, which is why you often saw his offensive coordinators doing things (like abandoning the run) that fly in the face of Marvin's longstanding personal philosophy.  

I would have promoted Hue to head coach and done whatever it took to keep Marvin in the front office.

As for the front office, only a fool doesn't see how they've changed over the last 12 years, and Marvin's a big reason for that.

Again, it's just double talk. You don't want Marvin (and with good reason, he's 90-90-1), but you think the front office that continually retains him is full of geniuses.I think the most glaring statement you made in your comment was your last one. Comparing the front office to what it was in the past is the problem. What other team perpetually compares itself to it's absolute worst moments? By that same token, for the next 25-30 years, the Jaguars fans will be basing themselves off of how their 2009-2013 went. It's a ludicrous way of thinking that does no one any good. it;s the same thing with calling Marvin a god-send. he is a god-send if you are comparing it to the way it was before he got here. Fortunately, we're 12 years removed from that period. IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON. Start comparing it to the times after we have moved from the abyss. At this very moment, from a talent standpoint, we are worse than we were last season. That has to change one way or another. Any type of regression this season SHOULD be grounds for dismissal for EVERYONE

Again, it's just double talk. You don't want Marvin (and with good reason, he's 90-90-1), but you think the front office that continually retains him is full of geniuses.I think the most glaring statement you made in your comment was your last one. Comparing the front office to what it was in the past is the problem. What other team perpetually compares itself to it's absolute worst moments? By that same token, for the next 25-30 years, the Jaguars fans will be basing themselves off of how their 2009-2013 went. It's a ludicrous way of thinking that does no one any good. it;s the same thing with calling Marvin a god-send. he is a god-send if you are comparing it to the way it was before he got here. Fortunately, we're 12 years removed from that period. IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON. Start comparing it to the times after we have moved from the abyss. At this very moment, from a talent standpoint, we are worse than we were last season. That has to change one way or another. Any type of regression this season SHOULD be grounds for dismissal for EVERYONE

OMG WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!!!!!  ITS DAY 4 OF FREE AGENCY AND WE'RE ALREADY SCREWED!!!!!!!

You just proved a very big point right there.  Failure to see more than 2 feet in front of your face.

And as far as Double Talk, re-read your own post.  Saying the 90's are the past, and then treating the organization like they're still operating like they did in the 90's.  THAT's Double Talk.

Madieu, you've been around here for a long time. You should know better man. We aren't big spenders in FA which I have come to accept because it really doesn't do you shit when you bring in people from the outside. And building through the draft is the better way to go. If some of the guys are going to go elsewhere because other teams are throwing crazy money at them and if it doesn't make sense for us to screw ourselves, then let them walk. We are a whole another team than what we used to be. The Browns blow it up every year and they still suck. They are always off season paper champs then when the regular season starts they fucking suck!

Madieu, you've been around here for a long time. You should know better man. We aren't big spenders in FA which I have come to accept because it really doesn't do you shit when you bring in people from the outside. And building through the draft is the better way to go. If some of the guys are going to go elsewhere because other teams are throwing crazy money at them and if it doesn't make sense for us to screw ourselves, then let them walk. We are a whole another team than what we used to be. The Browns blow it up every year and they still suck. They are always off season paper champs then when the regular season starts they fucking suck!

look at Rumble being the sensible one. :)

Why are we talking about FA in here and not the most mediocre HC in the history of the league. 90-90-1 you say? Lmao. Sounds about right. I don't see how anyone can realistically still be happy about Marvin being he HC here.

Anybody here actually happy to hear this? If so, please explain why so I can at least try to get a little bit of that optimism

OMG WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!!!!!  ITS DAY 4 OF FREE AGENCY AND WE'RE ALREADY SCREWED!!!!!!!

You just proved a very big point right there.  Failure to see more than 2 feet in front of your face.

And as far as Double Talk, re-read your own post.  Saying the 90's are the past, and then treating the organization like they're still operating like they did in the 90's.  THAT's Double Talk.

Free agency is going to be a net loss of talent for the Bengals no matter what they do at this point. It may get closer to even but they are not going to sign enough mid level guys to offset losing players of MJ and Collins caliber. They also cut their starting center, which was universally applauded but also has the side effect of taking our very good backup swing guard and turning him into a starter. Depth takes a serious hit on the Oline. 

Where exactly is the double talk? How is anyone "treating the organization like they are still operating in the 90s"?   

Why are we talking about FA in here and not the most mediocre HC in the history of the league. 90-90-1 you say? Lmao. Sounds about right. I don't see how anyone can realistically still be happy about Marvin being he HC here.

Anybody here actually happy to hear this? If so, please explain why so I can at least try to get a little bit of that optimism

I'm not happy but I don't think it's a big deal. I think it is just so we don't have a lame duck head coach. Don't believe it prevents mike from replacing him if necessary after this year.

If mike was 100 percent sure he wanted him longer term they would have signed him to a 4 year extension not 1. I just think the extension is a smoke screen.

Free agency is going to be a net loss of talent for the Bengals no matter what they do at this point. It may get closer to even but they are not going to sign enough mid level guys to offset losing players of MJ and Collins caliber. They also cut their starting center, which was universally applauded but also has the side effect of taking our very good backup swing guard and turning him into a starter. Depth takes a serious hit on the Oline. 

Where exactly is the double talk? How is anyone "treating the organization like they are still operating in the 90s"?   

again, read what people are actually saying.

Agree on the oline, but its premature to make any assumptions about the net loss of talent on the team.  They've lost one important starter at this point, and backup tackle is the only position on the team that's hurting for depth.  

There are still places where they can, and likely will upgrade the team.  Particularly backup QB, RB corp, CB depth, and a few other areas.  

They've lost guys that we all wish they had kept, but the core of the team is still very much intact, and another year wise and more experienced.  Use the rest of free agency to fill out the team around your core group of players.  That's how good teams do it.

You have to think of it as the whole team perspective:

They lost their 3rd best DL

They lost their 3rd best OT (in their eyes, and many others')

They lost their probably 4th or 5th best linebacker

They lost their 5th best corner

They lost their starting center, which most didn't like

They lost their 6th option in the passing game.

They were 7-2 with Collins on the bench in 2013.  They were 6-2 without Hawkins in 2013.  They were 7-5 without Cook in 2012.  Ghee only played 80 snaps last season, and that was a career high.  

They're losing pieces, and they have to overcome that, but they aren't losing big parts of their core.  They'll survive. Probably the closest thing to a core piece was MJ, and he'll be tough to replace, but he wasn't irreplaceable.  They'll also need to replace Cook's mental aspect of the game, regardless of what you thought of him physically.

If there is anything ML has done consistently, it is finding the pieces.

Coup is right though, about the serious hit to the depth factor. Getting back to good or better, will be one of ML's biggest challenges this year. I am pessimistic it can be done.        

I agree in theory, but my whole point is that I don't think we should be comparing the Bengals to the worst teams in the league or to their own worst moments in history. If the team really wants to  take the necessary steps forward, its time to start comparing yourselves to the Denver's, NE's and San Fran's. I personally didn't want MJ or Collins back. I thought it was good news that Harrison and Cook were exiled. I do get frustrated however when I read things from people like Dehner and Hobson who repeat the talking point spit out from the Bengals. It's not a foolproof plan to build singularly off the draft. Teams that have won recently have made some bold moves to help get them over the hump. I'd like to see that urgency from the Bengals as well because I do feel that their window to win a SB is open right now, 

What are you even talking about?

Failure to see in front of my face? I see a team that looks content using the draft as a means of getting over the hump next season. That's their prerogative and they're entitled to it. I don't think it meshes with recent history or reality, but whatever. All I know is that the team has no reason to have the same or, god forbid, worse results next season than they did this season. Whatever way they can get better, they HAVE to do it. Windows in the NFL are very small unless you have a HOF QB., the Bengals window is open right now, whatever they need to do to win a SB, they need to do it soon. 

The bolded part doesn't even make sense. I'm not treating them like they're in the '90's. I actually expect more from them. I actually have high expectations for them. You should try the same. 

I agree in theory, but my whole point is that I don't think we should be comparing the Bengals to the worst teams in the league or to their own worst moments in history. If the team really wants to  take the necessary steps forward, its time to start comparing yourselves to the Denver's, NE's and San Fran's. I personally didn't want MJ or Collins back. I thought it was good news that Harrison and Cook were exiled. I do get frustrated however when I read things from people like Dehner and Hobson who repeat the talking point spit out from the Bengals. It's not a foolproof plan to build singularly off the draft. Teams that have won recently have made some bold moves to help get them over the hump. I'd like to see that urgency from the Bengals as well because I do feel that their window to win a SB is open right now, 

Great post and I agree completely.

Archived