Andy Dalton wants to get paid like franchise QB

Aldon Smith carries fake bombs and SF loves them some Aldon.

Aldon Smith was an All-Pro line backer in 2012 and was well on his way to a repeat in 2013 until he got hurt.  Henry had one good year with the Bengals in 5 years and caused the franchise way too much trouble for most of his career here.  Two are not remotely similar.

The current trend in "franchise" QB salaries isn't just about the yearly average that looks fantastic at first glance.  Its the insane amount these guys are receiving in signing and option bonuses and guaranteed money.

When you look at the Flacco, Cutler and Romo deals they are getting bonuses and guaranteed money in the neighborhood of $50+ million.  Most of that is paid out in the 1st couple years or so.

Maybe the contract structure is where the disagreement is.

The current trend in "franchise" QB salaries isn't just about the yearly average that looks fantastic at first glance.  Its the insane amount
these guys are receiving in signing and option bonuses and guaranteed money.

When you look at the Flacco, Cutler and Romo deals they are getting bonuses and guaranteed money in the neighborhood of $50+ million.
Most of that is paid out in the 1st couple years or so.

Maybe the contract structure is where the disagreement is.

Probably. This is a good observation. If you miss on the QB in his second contract the damage of that with the cap will force that team to ride or die, restructure endlessly for that QB.

Aldon Smith carries fake bombs and SF loves them some Aldon.

You should be less concerned about the fake bombs he carries in airports and more concerned about the real guns and knives he carries when he throws a party.

As I recall, 1 stabbed and 2 shot.

Aha.. Well, so long as we're focused on the important stuff.  Who cares about a little sexual battery when he can bomb it 60 yards downfield into double-coverage?

Can he throw it from his couch at home?  Because Pope Goodell won't be shy about making a point with our QB if the guy stumbles.

Can he throw it from his couch at home?  Because Pope Goodell won't be shy about making a point with our QB if the guy stumbles.

No worries, it'd only be a 4 game suspension and I'm sure the league would postpone releasing the schedule by a couple of weeks in order to make sure the suspension period was padded with easy wins. They do that for everyone, right? Since there's no market bias at all in the NFL ever?

Well Harley--and since the Iggles have already been brought up--check out the numbers being bandied about for Nick Foles...he of one playoff appearance and one loss:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/04/what_kind_of_contract_could_nick_foles_get_from_the_eagles.html

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

I hope Foles can keep it up. when he was playing well in the stretch, he was nearly flawless. His decision-making was all that.

Please explain why he is so much better? If it is season production, parts of one compared to three does not balance. If playoffs, the production is the same. If it is a by chance lucky fit in a gimmick offense, then he does indeed have the edge.

I would suggest that Foles makes better decisions and protects the ball better. Being much taller, he has better vision of the field and less batted down balls. And I'll say Foles has a stronger arm - just because. :)

Maybe it's because you sleep very well with Andy Dalton as QB, just as the rest of us do, and if he were replaced by Mettenberger you'd worry about that 3AM phone call informing you that the new face of the franchise was wasted and had just groped another waitress.

Yet Big Ben has the rings... :2:

I'm usually one to avoid character guys but I wonder if this is case of dumb and bad choices as a teenager and he may have actually learned and matured. He didn't seem to have these issues at LSU. Maybe not. I think he's built for the NFL with lots of upside but will really need a good Oline.

I would suggest that Foles makes better decisions and protects the ball better. Being much taller, he has better vision of the field and less batted down balls. And I'll say Foles has a stronger arm - just because. :)

But he was Reid's pick...and stuck because of the uncertainty around Vick last off season. Barkley was drafted. Chip started with Vick..when he bombed (err was hurt), maybe reluctantly, he went with Foles. Turned out to be a lucky choice, although to hear Chip talk now, he "was born to run" that gimmicky offense. Maybe it is more right place/right time than any glaring superiority. 

I wish I could get WIP in Ohio...I am sure Eskin and those clowns were up/down/around/through with Foles last year.  

But he was Reid's pick...and stuck because of the uncertainty around Vick last off season. Barkley was drafted. Chip started with Vick..when he bombed (err was hurt), maybe reluctantly, he went with Foles. Turned out to be a lucky choice, although to hear Chip talk now, he "was born to run" that gimmicky offense. Maybe it is more right place/right time than any glaring superiority. 

I wish I could get WIP in Ohio...I am sure Eskin and those clowns were up/down/around/through with Foles last year.  

WIP is exactly the same. Cataldi wants to jump off the Ben Franklin every Monday morning and Eskin still thinks he's smarter than everyone.

When Foles took over, the offense became less gimmicky and just maintained the fast pace. I "think" he "might" be the real deal.

Archived