With the 24th Pick in the 2014 NFL DRAFT the Bengals select DARQUEZE DENNARD!!

I'm not afraid to admit that even the hint of that is giving me deep vein thrombosis...of the penis.  It would sure explain a lot.  How you stay glued onto guys with out speed.  It also validates his 4.37 "verified" time a lot more.

Same..  i hope he is even better than advertised...... Get to the NFL and dominate even more than in college....It happens   

Trying to figure out how Dennard fell so far. Seems like it was a combination of small critiques adding up to a bigger fall.

- Possibly injured, rumor is sports hernia
- Short arms
- Average 40 yard dash
- Uses hands too much, will be flag magnet under NFL rules
- Deep CB class with extra time to scrutinize prospects

Trying to figure out how Dennard fell so far. Seems like it was a combination of small critiques adding up to a bigger fall.

- Possibly injured, rumor is sports hernia
- Short arms
- Average 40 yard dash
- Uses hands too much, will be flag magnet under NFL rules
- Deep CB class with extra time to scrutinize prospects

I think General Managers like to OVERTHINK the obvious, as they trust their "magical" scouting powers over the consensus from the entire year before. In all 3 of my draft guides Dennard is listed as the #1 CB and in 2 of them he was projected to go with the #10 and #11 pick ... in the 3rd he went #24 to the Bengals.

But GM's and evaluators like to think that they can spot "hidden" talent, or attributes that everyone else missed, this also helps justify their existence or salaries (if it was as easy as using as basic draft guide, or going off of season awards etc then why pay them?). Dennard was the best CB in the nation last year and was awarded as such (Jim Thorpe Award winner). Gilbert jumped up based on 40 time, not being a better CB.

I think General Managers like to OVERTHINK the obvious, as they trust their "magical" scouting powers over the consensus from the entire year before. In all 3 of my draft guides Dennard is listed as the #1 CB and in 2 of them he was projected to go with the #10 and #11 pick ... in the 3rd he went #24 to the Bengals.

But GM's and evaluators like to think that they can spot "hidden" talent, or attributes that everyone else missed, this also helps justify their existence or salaries (if it was as easy as using as basic draft guide, or going off of season awards etc then why pay them?). Dennard was the best CB in the nation last year and was awarded as such (Jim Thorpe Award winner). Gilbert jumped up based on 40 time, not being a better CB.

I like the fact that his own coaches said such over-the-moon things about him. You don't here "best ever" thrown around too much.  That and "he never ran a 40 above 4.40 while he was here at MSU" is another good one.

Coaches comments on DQ are awesome. Just keep in mind there's no downside in getting on Cincinnati air waves and OVER promoting your newly drafted CB in recruiting area you are trying to compete in with Ohio State, Tuberville Cincinnati, Petrino Louisville and Stoops with Kentucky now getting traction more than they ever have.

2013 Mike Leach was 6-7, led Wazzu to their first bowl game in 10 years.

Flubs took a good Cincy team and made them worse.  haha

Wow, Leach got a job.  Good for him.  I kinda like him.....but don't you go talking about UC players or coaches.  If you do, I will, as some dbag on this site says, verbally castrate you. 

2013 Mike Leach was 6-7, led Wazzu to their first bowl game in 10 years.

Flubs took a good Cincy team and made them worse.  haha

So, a 6-7 Leach is better than a 9-4 Tubberville?

Ok.

Wow, Leach got a job.  Good for him.  I kinda like him.....but don't you go talking about UC players or coaches.  If you do, I will, as some dbag on this site says, verbally castrate you. 

I thought about Sois during bowl season. Leach team made a bowl and were up big. Not sure of specifics but like 21 points up with 5 minutes left in the game. The other team had no timeouts and Leach was still calling passing plays every down. Long story short. They incompletions stopped the clock. The other team tied it then won it in overtime. I've never seen anything like it.

I thought about Sois during bowl season. Leach team made a bowl and were up big. Not sure of specifics but like 21 points up with 5 minutes left in the game. The other team had no timeouts and Leach was still calling passing plays every down. Long story short. They incompletions stopped the clock. The other team tied it then won it in overtime. I've never seen anything like it.

Hahahaha

That was awesome. Live by the air raid, die by the air raid.

From Reddit, if you hadn't seen this yet. 
  • Dennard set the ALL-TIME FBS record for yards per pass attempt at 0.82. Second best all time is Deion Sanders at 0.94.
  • He had an Adjusted Burn Rate of just 28.21%. Adjusted burn rate uses SIP % which is burn rate minus screens and pass-interference penalties, and then adjusts for how often a player was thrown at, at different depths. Burn Rate is simply total number of completions divided by the total number of targets. For reference - in 2011, Darelle Revis had a burn rate of 33%.
  • In his coverage area, just 17 of 111 (15.8%) of passes were completed for only 91 total yards, or 5.35 yards per reception allowed. That is the best of the BCS-era.
  • 43 touchdown saving tackles in his career. So yes - he can tackle.
  • Allowed 33 first downs in his career, but made 98 stops on third and fourth down.
  • Just three touchdowns allowed in his coverage area in his career.

From Reddit, if you hadn't seen this yet. 
  • Dennard set the ALL-TIME FBS record for yards per pass attempt at 0.82. Second best all time is Deion Sanders at 0.94.
  • He had an Adjusted Burn Rate of just 28.21%. Adjusted burn rate uses SIP % which is burn rate minus screens and pass-interference penalties, and then adjusts for how often a player was thrown at, at different depths. Burn Rate is simply total number of completions divided by the total number of targets. For reference - in 2011, Darelle Revis had a burn rate of 33%.
  • In his coverage area, just 17 of 111 (15.8%) of passes were completed for only 91 total yards, or 5.35 yards per reception allowed. That is the best of the BCS-era.
  • 43 touchdown saving tackles in his career. So yes - he can tackle.
  • Allowed 33 first downs in his career, but made 98 stops on third and fourth down.
  • Just three touchdowns allowed in his coverage area in his career.

Wow.

Archived