With the 111th Pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Bengals Select Russell Bodine, C UNC!!

That's actually a bit alarming. It says they were forced into action in the 4th round. At that point, there are no instant sure fire starters, including Bodine. What was plan B for LG if Bodine were taken by another team after our 3rd round pick? Probably Robinson at C and Pollak at LG.

I don't find it alarming at all.  Says to me that they're ok with Robinson.   He also said the C competition is between Robinson and Bodine.  No mention of Pollak. 

That's actually a bit alarming. It says they were forced into action in the 4th round. At that point, there are no instant sure fire starters, including Bodine. What was plan B for LG if Bodine were taken by another team after our 3rd round pick? Probably Robinson at C and Pollak at LG.

No it's not they stuck to their board. They had a 2nd round grade on Clarke. They grabbed him in the 3rd. They had a 3rd round grade on Bodine. They grabbed him in the 4th, and liked him enough that they moved up to make sure they got him.

No it's not they stuck to their board. They had a 2nd round grade on Clarke. They grabbed him in the 3rd. They had a 3rd round grade on Bodine. They grabbed him in the 4th, and liked him enough that they moved up to make sure they got him.

Yes. And like you said they had A J rated much higher too

I don't find it alarming at all.  Says to me that they're ok with Robinson.   He also said the C competition is between Robinson and Bodine.  No mention of Pollak. 

Seems odd, everything coming out said that Pollack had the inside track on the center job after they cut Cook. Now he isn't even part of the competition? It will be interesting to see who lines up to start TC.

Seems like they are expecting Pollak to start at LG. It would be surprising if Bodine were the opening day starter at C. A rookie probably isn't going to know all the line calls before his first game. Pre-season is usually vanilla. It makes me wonder though why Cook was cut so early, right after Pollak was re-signed instead of keeping him around til the draft as they've done with Josh Johnson and so far with BJGE. 

That's actually a bit alarming. It says they were forced into action in the 4th round.

To me it smacks of the domino effect that occurs when you overdraft a player earlier.

For example, overdraft a RB in the 2nd round and you promptly find yourself overdrafting a DE in the 3rd. After all, it was a shallow class for DE's and if you wanted a decent one you had to get one early. Or in Clarke's example, earlier than expected.

A round later you find yourself completely out of options at OC unless you trade up to select the last attractive/acceptable option still available to you.

Post draft you trot out a position coach to tell the press the 4th round guy was the only one you were interested in....which of course says more about how little you value the position than anything about the player who was selected.

Add it all up and if you didn't wake up thrilled with your new DE and OC this morning then perhaps you should go hug your new RB for awhile.

Don't be surprised if Bodine starts. Trevor Robinson IIRC got his first start against the Steelers defense and handled himself real well.
Based on this a 5th round pick could start for us at center from day one.

I don't know about his first start, but his first game he came in at halftime of the Pittsburgh game and Hampton treated him like a rag doll for most of the 2nd half.

Bodine clearly going to get play at Center early on. I think Pollack would have been back up plan. Newhouse has been a terrible tackle a Green Bay so I'm not sure you could start him at LT then Whit at LG. So maybe Newhouse at LG if Bodine has to be on the bench??????

Could definitely see Pollak at C and Hawkinson at LG. But I think it is pretty close to 50/50 that Bodine wins the starting job in camp and allows them to move Pollak to LG. It could even end up being Hawkinson and Bodine both starting. 

They have some flexibility to get the best 5 on the field and a lot of options. 

Bodine will get to practice against Geno if he's ready to go in time for training camp. This should let us know if he can do the job or not.

To me it smacks of the domino effect that occurs when you overdraft a player earlier.

For example, overdraft a RB in the 2nd round and you promptly find yourself overdrafting a DE in the 3rd. After all, it was a shallow class for DE's and if you wanted a decent one you had to get one early. Or in Clarke's example, earlier than expected.

A round later you find yourself completely out of options at OC unless you trade up to select the last attractive/acceptable option still available to you.

Post draft you trot out a position coach to tell the press the 4th round guy was the only one you were interested in....which of course says more about how little you value the position than anything about the player who was selected.

Add it all up and if you didn't wake up thrilled with your new DE and OC this morning then perhaps you should go hug your new RB for awhile.

I think you are correct, for the most part, except that I don't think the team wasn't aware of what they were doing, nor did they consider that they were "over-drafting" a RB.  Sure, your guy Ealy (and Martin) were there, but I saw a number of evaluators tag them with third round grades.

I have to admit, I was surprised that they put as much emphasis on replacing BJGE as they clearly have, but, if that was their intent (and after watching Jeremy Hill play I can see that it was), they knew what they were in for.

DE was clearly not as high a need given that we have Hunt and Gilberry etc. That said, it's the Center pick that makes me scratch my head. THAT seems like the spot where we had the most need and least contingencies (notice we haven't heard a peep about Pollak playing at center, despite all of the press saying he'd do just that when he was signed?).  If they really did have a 3rd round grade on him, and they really did need one that badly, then why wait until the fourth?

The only answer I can come up with is that they saw a player at another position of need (albeit a lesser one), that they wanted more. In other words, they went BPA, within their list/needs.

The pick that irks me the most is QB in the fifth, when I think there was still serviceable G and CB talent on the board.  But who knows, maybe they really do believe that you go with first round corners or you go home...

Bodine clearly going to get play at Center early on. I think Pollack would have been back up plan. Newhouse has been a terrible tackle a Green Bay so I'm not sure you could start him at LT then Whit at LG. So maybe Newhouse at LG if Bodine has to be on the bench??????

I know Newhouse has said he's willing to play LG (unlike Collins), but that makes me even more worried about our tackle depth. I hope Hawkinson pans out...

Wonder if that means they are plugging pollack at LG?

That's how I took it.   Unless Alexander was saying it to throw people for a loop.....but didn't seem to be that way as he was very forthcoming about a few things. 

Seems odd, everything coming out said that Pollack had the inside track on the center job after they cut Cook. Now he isn't even part of the competition? It will be interesting to see who lines up to start TC.

I thought the same thing, that Pollak was going to be the guy at C, thus cutting Cook.  

And imagine how that makes you feel if you are Pollak, who went out and told the world after re-signing that "I was born to play Center."

It looks like he's going to struggle with the quicker DTs and on twists/stunts.  Also he seemed a little slow getting out on the screen plays.  On the positive side, when he was able to engage his man, he held the blocks for a while.  Some of the quicker counter moves got him off balance a little and sometimes he was able to recover, other times he wasn't.  

I believe Andy had one of the quicker release times in the league last year.  If that continues, we should be fine.  Does anyone thinks it's possible we start Bodine vs. 3-4 teams and Pollak (or someone else) vs. 4-3 teams?  

It looks like he's going to struggle with the quicker DTs and on twists/stunts.  Also he seemed a little slow getting out on the screen plays.  On the positive side, when he was able to engage his man, he held the blocks for a while.  Some of the quicker counter moves got him off balance a little and sometimes he was able to recover, other times he wasn't.  

I believe Andy had one of the quicker release times in the league last year.  If that continues, we should be fine.  Does anyone thinks it's possible we start Bodine vs. 3-4 teams and Pollak (or someone else) vs. 4-3 teams?  

I don't think you would want to screw with the line's consistency by doing that.  Whichever one you pick, you ride him unless he get's hurt.  A lot of good line play results from guys getting comfortable with the people that are beside them.

I don't think you would want to screw with the line's consistency by doing that.  Whichever one you pick, you ride him unless he get's hurt.  A lot of good line play results from guys getting comfortable with the people that are beside them.

Good point.  I think Bodine will do well vs. 3-4 teams, but he may struggle a lot vs. some 4-3 teams if they have  quick DTs.

Good point.  I think Bodine will do well vs. 3-4 teams, but he may struggle a lot vs. some 4-3 teams if they have  quick DTs.

I'd think you'd be able to get help from the guard to chip the DT to slow him down allowing the C to lock in.

I'm not OL expert though as far as from a technique standpoint.

I watched that last night and I've got to admit he seems to get tossed around a lot.  Didn't necessarily give up pressure but wasn't pancaking fools with his hulk strength....

From what they're saying. Possible plug and play from day one. They must have seen some awfully good stuff from him. 4th rounder maybe starting at center from a playoff team sounds impressive. Especially when there is other options.

Archived