With the 111th Pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Bengals Select Russell Bodine, C UNC!!

I don't trust Alexander to evaluate players. We seem to have trouble finding centers in the draft after the Ghiaciuc and Luigs fiascos. Bodine seems like perhaps a stronger version of TJ Johnson. So I wouldn't have traded up at all. We would be fine with Pollak at center and taking a better guard prospect. 

Guy got a knee injury, he might have worked out better without that.  Aside from that, it looks like with this guy we are taking a different view and getting a strong guy.  If he's slow to develop, well, we have other irons in the fire - Pollack, TJ Johnson, Trevor Robinson.

It seems that in the last few years there has been a trend where a perennial problem is addressed by throwing dozens of players at a time at it.  There was the year we brought in all those corners.  There was a D-Line year where we did the same.  Safety, to a lesser extent.  This may be the year of the Center.

Guard turned centers are pretty common. It gives them time to adjust the the NFL without overloading them early with too much thought. Once they learn the scheme and calls, move to center.

Guard turned centers are pretty common. It gives them time to adjust the the NFL without overloading them early with too much thought. Once they learn the scheme and calls, move to center.

Also gives them a chance to get stronger as they fill out in the weight room.

right, but I think there's little chance Bodine will be the starter as a rookie.  I know they said he'll compete to start, but I think its more likely he opens day 1 at left guard than center.

I don't think there is much chance he is day 1 starter at center. You may be right about him at Guard.  That will likely depend on his agility and ability to pull/block on the next level as well as how important that is to Hue's scheme.  Usually the LG is expected to do that sort of thing and that would seem to be the part of his game that needs some work.

I don't think there is much chance he is day 1 starter at center. You may be right about him at Guard.  That will likely depend on his agility and ability to pull/block on the next level as well as how important that is to Hue's scheme.  Usually the LG is expected to do that sort of thing and that would seem to be the part of his game that needs some work.

I don't know why an experienced center like Bodine can't start there from day one. All sorts of rookie centers get thrust immediately into the lineup, many of them in the AFC North. Hell, the Bengals survived a a undersized UDFA rookie guard starting at center for much of the 2012 season. I am sure Bodine is far more equipped to handle the center spot now than Robinson was in 2012. I do think it's telling that Bodine has been the only new draftee mentioned as a potential starter right away by the coaches, and they were talking about as a center not as a guard..

Although it has been said that he is a guard prospect, his vast majority of play was at center. That is his skillset. But then again, that was Pollack's too coming out of AZ State, and he converted to guard, so what do I know?

The Bengals don't have a great track record with drafting centers (especially 4th rounders) and I can understand being skeptical Bodine can/will start as a rookie. Not easy for any rookie to do, let alone a Day 3 pick. That being said, I can't rule out the possibility entirely. Bodine will have to beat out Pollak and Robinson and there is a possibility Pollak might be needed at LG. It will probably depend on Boling's recovery from ACL surgery and the team might also prefer to not have Pollak change positions.

The team must like Bodine a whole bunch since they did trade up to get him, which is extremely rare. Mike Brown likes giving up draft picks about as much he likes hearing about the stadium lease from Todd Portune. For him to give up even a 6th rounder tells you something about just how much they didn't want this guy to get away.

In the press conference about him, they said they didn't huddle in college and basically called their play and ran it. For us, he's going to have to learn how to call protections, so that might hold him back. They did say he had a very high wonderlic score though, so he should be able to pick it up in time.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Draft_Rd_4_Press_Conference_/aab82044-479e-4de6-a419-557efb44724d

Richie Braham was drafted as a G after playing T in college. IIRC, he didn't play C in the NFL until several years after he came to Cincinnati.

Supposedly Marvin had in his notes "want this guy on my team" Supposedly had that down about Whit too.
From bengals.com

I read that as well. Pretty clear the team wanted Bodine badly, from Marvin's comments and trading up to get him. I like what I hear about him. Smart, experienced, physically strong, plays with a nasty streak. Some negative comments about his foot speed and poor three cone drill at the combine. I like his chances because he seems to be the opposite of some of the Bengals past failures at the position. I have yet to read about Bodine being called a technician or frequently getting overpowered (like Ghiaciuc, Luigs, Wilkerson, Faine, or even Cook).

Well, not to burst any bubbles but I just watched two game cutups of him on draftbreakdown.com.  One was a bowl game against UC.  He is solid when run blocking the man over him.

But he is weak in space and at the second level (screens and pulling), he has trouble picking up and/or repositioning himself for stunts, he resorts to cut blocks too often, and he frequently gets driven back into the pocket like he's on roller skates in pass pro.  In other words, he reminds me a lot Kyle Cook.

I like that Marvin wants the guy on his team, but that's a lot of stuff to overcome. 

I want to go back and watch Gio cutups to see why I remember something so different.

Well, not to burst any bubbles but I just watched two game cutups of him on draftbreakdown.com.  One was a bowl game against UC.  He is solid when run blocking the man over him.

But he is weak in space and at the second level (screens and pulling), he has trouble picking up and/or repositioning himself for stunts, he resorts to cut blocks too often, and he frequently gets driven back into the pocket like he's on roller skates in pass pro.  In other words, he reminds me a lot Kyle Cook.

I like that Marvin wants the guy on his team, but that's a lot of stuff to overcome. 

I want to go back and watch Gio cutups to see why I remember something so different.

Considering the number of 3-4 defenses we play it should suit him well then.

As long as we don't pull, pass, and they are nice enough not to blitz.  Seriously though, it was a tale of two seasons from what I watched.

I'm wondering if he was injured in 2013.  I've noticed that the farther I go back watching games, the faster he gets in space.  

Still not sure I've ever seen him lose a block though.  

I'm wondering if he was injured in 2013.  I've noticed that the farther I go back watching games, the faster he gets in space.  

Still not sure I've ever seen him lose a block though.  

Really? Then you need to stop multi-tasking while you watch lol.

The two games on that link you provided he misses a bunch, but loses several, including a really ugly one where his man runs him back to the QB, ditches him, and takes the QB down for a sack.

But I agree with you 100% on him being better the further you go back.  OF course, playing next to Jonathan Cooper with Gio running behind you will make anyone look good, but he was clearly a different blocker in all respects in 2012 vs 2013. 

Lap just said he has a legitimate chance to start day one. Said Paul feels he can start right away

From a purely physical standpoint I agree.  Especially if they feel they need Pollak at LG.  I just hope they have a plan for the line calls.  I'm not sure I want a rookie reading the Ravens defense Game 1.

Per P. Alexander Bodine was the one and only C they wanted in the draft....if they weren't able to get him, they wouldn't have taken another C.....would have gone in a different direction.  Once the Centers started coming off the board, they knew they had to do something so they traded up for him.  Got the guy they targeted.  Interesting. 

Per P. Alexander Bodine was the one and only C they wanted in the draft....if they weren't able to get him, they wouldn't have taken another C.....would have gone in a different direction.  Once the Centers started coming off the board, they knew they had to do something so they traded up for him.  Got the guy they targeted.  Interesting. 

That's actually a bit alarming. It says they were forced into action in the 4th round. At that point, there are no instant sure fire starters, including Bodine. What was plan B for LG if Bodine were taken by another team after our 3rd round pick? Probably Robinson at C and Pollak at LG.

That's actually a bit alarming. It says they were forced into action in the 4th round. At that point, there are no instant sure fire starters, including Bodine. What was plan B for LG if Bodine were taken by another team after our 3rd round pick? Probably Robinson at C and Pollak at LG.

I'd say Pollak at C and Hawkinson at LG.

Which may yet happen anyway.

Archived