With the 111th Pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Bengals Select Russell Bodine, C UNC!!

Like this pick. I thought maybe we would be looking for an "outside-in" type approach with getting an OT who could convert to OG if needed.

But looks like instead we are building "inside-out." Bodine is a pure Center. (I know he played a couple games at OG and could maybe play it in a pinch, but I don't think his athleticism translates to anywhere but Center in the NFL.). Looks like they are going to let Bodine compete with Robinson and Pollak at C. I suspect they are hoping that Bodine can win the job which would free up Pollak to move out to LG to cover for Boling at least temporarily (and maybe longer). 

Even though this was just a 4th rounder, I really think this is an important pick and a guy the Bengals hope to build around as a long term starter at Center. 

In terms of the OL, my guess as to opening day depth chart is this:

LT-Whitworth, Newhouse

LG-Pollak, Hawkinson

C-Bodine, Robinson

RG-Zeitler

RT-Smith

Boling could potentially end up on the PUP list. When Boling is back, he will be either a super sub or back in there at LG, pushing either Pollak or Bodine to the bench.

As we sit in the mid-6th round, I would think there is also still a good chance for a draft pick of an OT. If not a pick, there are some guys they could look at as UDFA with a chance to make it. Maybe Seantrel Henderson as a potential Burfict shot in the dark?

LT-Whitworth, Newhouse

LG-Pollak, Hawkinson

C-Bodine, Robinson

RG-Zeitler

RT-Smith

Boling could potentially end up on the PUP list. When Boling is back, he will be either a super sub or back in there at LG, pushing either Pollak or Bodine to the bench.

As we sit in the mid-6th round, I would think there is also still a good chance for a draft pick of an OT. If not a pick, there are some guys they could look at as UDFA with a chance to make it. Maybe Seantrel Henderson as a potential Burfict shot in the dark?

I'm guessing Hawkinson is probably the LG if Boling isn't ready and Bodine is behind Pollak at C.  I don't see them starting a rookie against Baltimore and their confusing defenses.

LT-Whitworth, Newhouse

LG-Pollak, Hawkinson

C-Bodine, Robinson

RG-Zeitler

RT-Smith

I would bet they bring Bodine along a bit more slowly than that. and Pollak is our opening day center.. How quickly he is able to take take the startiung role is going to be determined by how quickly he can pick up the line calls.. And with traditionally solid defenses known for exotic looks in Pitt and Baltimore, he's got his work cut out for him.

That being said I am exited about this guy.  Like you I though we would go with a late T who we would put in at guard hoping he can transition to T later.  Regardless it addresses what is likely our biggest hole on offense. 

I'm guessing Hawkinson is probably the LG if Boling isn't ready and Bodine is behind Pollak at C.  I don't see them starting a rookie against Baltimore and their confusing defenses.

Exactly.

I would bet they bring Bodine along a bit more slowly than that. and Pollak is our opening day center.. How quickly he is able to take take the startiung role is going to be determined by how quickly he can pick up the line calls.. And with traditionally solid defenses known for exotic looks in Pitt and Baltimore, he's got his work cut out for him.

That being said I am exited about this guy.  Like you I though we would go with a late T who we would put in at guard hoping he can transition to T later.  Regardless it addresses what is likely our biggest hole on offense. 

Exactly.

I agree with Pollak, but wouldn't be shocked if Bodine was the opening day starter.

With rookie OL, it usually takes them a year to catch up to the league as far as muscle goes.  I don't know that is gonna be an issue with Bodine.

Could definitely see Pollak at C and Hawkinson at LG. But I think it is pretty close to 50/50 that Bodine wins the starting job in camp and allows them to move Pollak to LG. It could even end up being Hawkinson and Bodine both starting. 

They have some flexibility to get the best 5 on the field and a lot of options. 

Jethro's Boy!!  You know he's country strong!  Do you think Granny is coming to Cincy with him?

Nope but Miss Drysdale is. Actually, Jethro fits... Country strong, from Virginia, went to UNC, has a beard. Wonder how many teef he has?

Funny name thats sounds like some made-up NASCAR driver. Not wild about trading up, but they must have wanted this guy badly to do it. Normally not our style to trade up. Most of what I have read about him is positive. Very strong upper body and plays with power. Also has versatlity to line up at guard and center. A need that had to be addressed with Cook gone and Boling recovering from ACL surgery.

I agree with Pollak, but wouldn't be shocked if Bodine was the opening day starter.

With rookie OL, it usually takes them a year to catch up to the league as far as muscle goes.  I don't know that is gonna be an issue with Bodine.

Most OL you are absolutely right.  It's mostly about getting stronger in an NFL strength program.  But C is a different animal, it's more cerebral and I think the transition to the pros at that position on the line is more about recognition of the more diverse looks he'll see in the NFL.  It's nice he is so strong since he will be lining up against 3-4 nose tackles so frequently.

LT-Whitworth, Newhouse

LG-Pollak, Hawkinson

C-Bodine, Robinson

RG-Zeitler

RT-Smith

I think that would be the dream scenario. I hope it plays out that way. But I'm fine with them playing whoever is the 5 best opening day

Most OL you are absolutely right.  It's mostly about getting stronger in an NFL strength program.  But C is a different animal, it's more cerebral and I think the transition to the pros at that position on the line is more about recognition of the more diverse looks he'll see in the NFL.  It's nice he is so strong since he will be lining up against 3-4 nose tackles so frequently.

right, but I think there's little chance Bodine will be the starter as a rookie.  I know they said he'll compete to start, but I think its more likely he opens day 1 at left guard than center.

right, but I think there's little chance Bodine will be the starter as a rookie.  I know they said he'll compete to start, but I think its more likely he opens day 1 at left guard than center.

He will open the season as a center.

The backup.  So he has time to learn the league, the blocking scheme, the offense, and the line calls.

Unless they have someone else make the line calls.

The backup.  So he has time to learn the league, the blocking scheme, the offense, and the line calls.

If Pollack is at G next to him, you could have him do line calls.

I could see Bodine winning the LG job, but that's in large part because I really just don't have a feel for Hawkinson yet.  

that and I really loved what I saw from Bodine today.  He's very strong, physical and doesn't lose blocks.  Something the run game needs.

Had to host a party today so missed the board.  Bodine is the pick I'm most focused on.  I hinted just a few days ago on here that I thought he was not a great athlete but just might be the kind of guy to make a great Center in the pros.  I remember seeing him watching Gio and Jonathan Cooper last year.

It's true, he's strong and (the part I like) MEAN. Another football player. Good pick and have to take it on faith that the trade means the team really wanted him, which is all I really need to know at this point.

This is the part to be worried about with him, and the part that makes me scratch my head for the number of screens Hue likes to run:

Is he athletic enough to block guys at the second level too?

Alexander: “I think he needs to, honestly, improve that part of his game. But his measurable, his speed, his agility, all those things at the combine are very good. He’s got that ability. I think he’ll grow and he’ll eventually be good at that.”

"He's a really solid player. I think the more tape teams watched of him - especially the coaches - the more they liked him. He can play both guard spots, and that's key for him." -- Mike Mayock

HCJAKKIQIWDOAVH.20121027214937.jpg

Overview

Last name is pronounced "BO-dine." Prepped at Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy, where his father is a teacher. Redshirted in 2010. Was a backup in '11 -- played nine games, including two starts as an injury replacement. Started all 25 games 2012-13.

Strengths

Carries a load in his punch and plays with vinegar. Can seal and turn defenders in the run game to create small creases. Plays with a mean streak and likes to finish blocks. Is aggressive working up to the second level and efficient cutting linebackers. Rugged competitor. Stout anchor in pass protection. Versatile and has seen action at center and guard. Excellent weight-room strength -- bench-pressed 225 pounds 42 times to lead all participants at the combine.

Weaknesses

Stiff-bodied. Plays short-armed and overextends. Average agility. Is late to switch off blocks. Relies too much on his upper-body strength. Mechanics deteriorate the farther he is asked to travel. Slow to adjust to counter moves. Produced the slowest 3-cone time (8.29 seconds) of any offensive lineman at the combine.

Draft Projection Rounds 3-4

Bottom Line

A top-heavy, barrel-chested, thick-bodied, short-area blocker, Bodine plays with a gritty football demeanor. Swing-interior versatility adds to his value.

I don't trust Alexander to evaluate players. We seem to have trouble finding centers in the draft after the Ghiaciuc and Luigs fiascos. Bodine seems like perhaps a stronger version of TJ Johnson. So I wouldn't have traded up at all. We would be fine with Pollak at center and taking a better guard prospect. 

Archived