Bengals' offense 'very up-tempo' under Hue Jackson

Hue Jackson continues to tweak the Cincinnati Bengals' offense.

The Bengals were in the top 10 in the NFL in yards per game and points per game in 2013, but the new offensive coordinator isn't planning to run back the same offense Jay Gruden used to earn those stats.

Jackson has already discussed utilizing a power run game more heavily in 2013 -- and drafting Jeremy Hill in the second round should help that cause.

It now appears Jackson also plans to deploy a quicker-paced offense, according to Bengals players.

"Very up-tempo," wide receiver Marvin Jones told the team's official website. "A lot of aggression. No matter what period it is, you're going to see all aggression."

The Bengals conducted 1,097 scrimmage plays in 2013, sixth-most in the NFL (59 fewer than the top-rated Broncos), but it's the type of speed involved in those plays that Jackson would like to utilize to his advantage.

Given the skill players at Jackson's disposal, wearing down a defense with tempo is a smart strategy. Keeping defenses vanilla for quarterback Andy Dalton won't hurt, either. 

One of those skill players, Giovani Bernard, told The Cincinnati Enquirer that he has already noticed a difference in the Bengals' offense in terms of both tempo and physicality under Jackson.

The quicker pace and emphasis on the running game should both benefit Bernard this season.

While questions persist about Dalton's future, the best upgrade the Bengals might have made toward earning a fourth straight playoff appearance was promoting Jackson to coordinator.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000352527/article/bengals-offense-very-uptempo-under-hue-jackson

The Bengals were in the top 10 in the NFL in yards per game and points per game in 2013, but the new offensive coordinator isn't planning to run back the same offense Jay Gruden used to earn those stats.

Jackson has already discussed utilizing a power run game more heavily in 2013 -- and drafting Jeremy Hill in the second round should help that cause.

It now appears Jackson also plans to deploy a quicker-paced offense, according to Bengals players.

"Very up-tempo," wide receiver Marvin Jones told the team's official website. "A lot of aggression. No matter what period it is, you're going to see all aggression."

The Bengals conducted 1,097 scrimmage plays in 2013, sixth-most in the NFL (59 fewer than the top-rated Broncos), but it's the type of speed involved in those plays that Jackson would like to utilize to his advantage.

Given the skill players at Jackson's disposal, wearing down a defense with tempo is a smart strategy. Keeping defenses vanilla for quarterback Andy Dalton won't hurt, either. 

One of those skill players, Giovani Bernard, told The Cincinnati Enquirer that he has already noticed a difference in the Bengals' offense in terms of both tempo and physicality under Jackson.

The quicker pace and emphasis on the running game should both benefit Bernard this season.

While questions persist about Dalton's future, the best upgrade the Bengals might have made toward earning a fourth straight playoff appearance was promoting Jackson to coordinator.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000352527/article/bengals-offense-very-uptempo-under-hue-jackson

Like manna from heaven, an oasis in the desert, or a best friends slutty sister to a virgin: some actual football news!

QED

The desire to run the ball more and more efficently has been much discussed, but I read a blurb a couple of weeks ago about Jackson also demanding offensive lineman hold their blocks a beat longer and receiver corp being coached to fight much harder for contested balls.

In regards to the latter, AJ Greens name wasn't mentioned specifically, but IMHO it might as well have been. 

Thank god. 

I am not an x's and o's guy by any means but how do you go up temp and do the power game? I know that teams like Baylor in college football blend the pass and run and just try to spread the field and run tons of plays. Is that similar?

Is that good for our defense?

Speed to the line of scrimmage, time between plays, etc. Urgency.

Were you too young to see the Boomer-led Bengals and the no-huddle? They were masters at controlling the tempo, playing fast when they needed to, or getting up on the ball quickly and making the defense wait set forever until they snapped it. And that was a series of power running Bengals teams. Gruden never ever seemed to have a handle on how to coach that from my perspective, so I am pleased to hear that Hue is introducing some elements of tempo and urgency back into the offensive sets. 

Were you too young to see the Boomer-led Bengals and the no-huddle? They were masters at controlling the tempo, playing fast when they needed to, or getting up on the ball quickly and making the defense wait set forever until they snapped it. And that was a series of power running Bengals teams. Gruden never ever seemed to have a handle on how to coach that from my perspective, so I am pleased to hear that Hue is introducing some elements of tempo and urgency back into the offensive sets. 

Gruden seemed to approach every single play as if it was a blank whiteboard.  Completely independent from the play before, 9 plays ago, the last scoring drive, the scoreboard, the clock etc.  Every play seemed to be disconnected.  I am very hopeful that Hue's approach is radically different, very much pragmatic, just get the win.  If running left is working, run left until its not working anymore.  If drag routes are getting it done, then there is a drag route on every play until they figure out how to stop it.

The desire to run the ball more and more efficently has been much discussed, but I read a blurb a couple of weeks ago about Jackson also demanding offensive lineman hold their blocks a beat longer and receiver corp being coached to fight much harder for contested balls.

In regards to the latter, AJ Greens name wasn't mentioned specifically, but IMHO it might as well have been. 

couldn't agree more...

But it should just say EVERYONE needs to pick up their game so this offense can be elite.

Wasnt the biggest fan of Gruden and while I saw the Boomer stuff I was pretty young for it. He doesn't seem to be saying control the tempo though. He is saying "up-tempo" and that doesn't jive with a power run game. And if it does our defense will be on the field much more. I hope what you are saying is what he means because I would like that. What I don't want is for Hue to try to be too many things because that was the feeling I got from Gruden. 

Gruden seemed to approach every single play as if it was a blank whiteboard.  Completely independent from the play before, 9 plays ago, the last scoring drive, the scoreboard, the clock etc.  Every play seemed to be disconnected.  I am very hopeful that Hue's approach is radically different, very much pragmatic, just get the win.  If running left is working, run left until its not working anymore.  If drag routes are getting it done, then there is a drag route on every play until they figure out how to stop it.

What I would love is you call play number 1 5 and 7 to set them up for play 11. That would be awesome. 

Wasnt the biggest fan of Gruden and while I saw the Boomer stuff I was pretty young for it. He doesn't seem to be saying control the tempo though. He is saying "up-tempo" and that doesn't jive with a power run game. And if it does our defense will be on the field much more. I hope what you are saying is what he means because I would like that. What I don't want is for Hue to try to be too many things because that was the feeling I got from Gruden. 

What I would love is you call play number 1 5 and 7 to set them up for play 11. That would be awesome. 

I think if you watch the bengals the last few years most of the time they were getting the play off with about 6 seconds or less on the play clock. If you can get the play off in the 12-15 second range, while not seeming like a huge difference, would be much more up tempo than previously.

There should be a stat showing the avg play clock on snap per team. I bet ours was pretty low.

I think if you watch the bengals the last few years most of the time they were getting the play off with about 6 seconds or less on the play clock. If you can get the play off in the 12-15 second range, while not seeming like a huge difference, would be much more up tempo than previously.

There should be a stat showing the avg play clock on snap per team. I bet ours was pretty low.

Could have been by design though to keep the defense fresh. 

Not quite...but mostly.

One thing I did like is that often after some big "gotcha" play by the defense he would dial up some big play that worked a lot of the time.  Like the 40+ yard pass after the fight against the Raiders.  Or the 20+ yard gain after Polamalu's 'offsides' sack in the playoff clinching game in 2012.  Or the big gain after the turnover for the win.

Every so often it seemed JayGruden would get pissed off and call a 'fuck you' play instead of some clinical cutesy thing like you describe.  Since we did so well on them I just wished he would get pissed off way more often.

I felt like the O played very well when it was up tempo fast break type of O, I thought we were God awful when we tried to slow it down. So that's an encouraging thing to hear.

Almost as if Gruden was over coaching or everyone was thinking too much ala Rey M 2011 version.

But what is the advantage of getting plays off early? I really think it puts an extra burden on your defense. People wonder every year what Manning's win total might be if his teams had good defenses, but Manning's no-huddle style is one reason why Indy's and Denver's defenses struggle so much. Anyone that doubts this just needs to remember how good Denver's defense was the year before Manning became the QB. I mean Denver advanced in the playoffs with Tim Tebow at quarterback FFS.

But what is the advantage of getting plays off early? I really think it puts an extra burden on your defense. People wonder every year what Manning's win total might be if his teams had good defenses, but Manning's no-huddle style is one reason why Indy's and Denver's defenses struggle so much. Anyone that doubts this just needs to remember how good Denver's defense was the year before Manning became the QB. I mean Denver advanced in the playoffs with Tim Tebow at quarterback FFS.

There's a difference between being able to snap it early and actually snapping it.   If you are ready, and all set to go the defense must be careful.  If you are milling around randomly with 5 seconds to go a bluff blitz might really mess up the offense.

Almost as if Gruden was over coaching or everyone was thinking too much ala Rey M 2011 version.

I felt it was like of they played with a up tempo sense of urgency they didn't have time to allow any bad stiff to get in their head.

keep in mind that not all no-huddle looks like Oregon's defense.  A lot of Manning's no huddle is getting up to the line quick so that the defense doesn't have time to sub in fresh players.  And if they do try to sub in, he's snaps it anyway and takes the free play.

Also, if you're running no huddle and running the ball well, you're still chewing up clock and keeping your defense off the field.  No huddle doesn't necessarily have to mean scoring super quick.

Further, the Indy defense was specifically built to play with a lead that Manning gave them.  They only tended to struggle when the offense didn't build a lead quick.

If the Bengals offense can get quick leads and let the pass rush pin their ears back, that plays into their strengths.

keep in mind that not all no-huddle looks like Oregon's defense.  A lot of Manning's no huddle is getting up to the line quick so that the defense doesn't have time to sub in fresh players.  And if they do try to sub in, he's snaps it anyway and takes the free play.

Also, if you're running no huddle and running the ball well, you're still chewing up clock and keeping your defense off the field.  No huddle doesn't necessarily have to mean scoring super quick.

Further, the Indy defense was specifically built to play with a lead that Manning gave them.  They only tended to struggle when the offense didn't build a lead quick.

If the Bengals offense can get quick leads and let the pass rush pin their ears back, that plays into their strengths.

Said it better than I would have!

It puts an extra burden on the opposing defense also. They can't substitute and their guys get tired. 

Just because Denver lost in the Super Bowl doesn't mean they didn't have a great season that 30 other teams in the NFL should be jealous of. 

Also, you may remember that Tebow's Broncos got bounced from the playoffs in a 45-10 loss to the Pats. The slow pace didn't help the D out too much that game. And for reference, they beat that same Pats team 26-16 last year (with 13 NE points coming late against prevent defense).  So they gave up 29 less points despite the high paced offense...

Another thing to think about with a high paced attack is that it rewards your depth and tests the opposing team's depth...

You have to rotate your skill position guys to keep them fresh on offense (think Gio and Jeremy Hill). And you are going to get more snaps against the opposing teams' backups with the starters getting worn down.

It is a fair point that a quicker pace lengthens the game in general (more possessions for both teams), so it does test your own defenses depth a little bit also. But depth on both sides of the ball is one of the Bengals' biggest strengths right now. So it makes sense to try to find a way to take advantage of that strength.

When you look at some of the teams the Bengals will have to get through in the AFC playoffs, depth is where our advantage lies. Both NE and Denver have a lot of top end talent on both sides of the ball. But they also have a lot of older players (Demarcus Ware, Vince Wilfork, etc.) and their depth is questionable. Maybe we can press an advantage there.

Nah. I feel it puts the burden on their defense. Those extra few seconds are all it takes for defensive players to recognize what they're looking at from film. Their defensive struggles in INdy and Denver simply comes from not having a very good defense.

Hue’s Hue

by David Petrocelli

The Bengals begin the 2014 season with a new offensive coordinator (OC), Hue Jackson. Jackson, formerly the head coach (HC) of the Raiders in 2011, will replace former OC Jay Gruden, who is now the HC of the Redskins. The team should benefit from the change primarily because of how Jackson will complement Marvin Lewis, how he will address the challenges of the AFC North, and, most importantly, how he contrasts to Gruden. With an extensive coaching resume he brings another established leader to the team. Fans will enjoy his style and his impact should be felt relatively quickly.

Having already been a head coach in the NFL, Jackson brings an understanding of the game and a team as a whole that may have lacked in Jay Gruden. Having already spent time as a head coach, it will allow him to better focus on the task at hand versus trying to advertise his coaching skills towards future HC job opportunities; it often seemed evident with Gruden. This isn’t to say that Jackson doesn’t think about being the head man once more, but having conquered that hill means he has already shown he can do the job, especially after not getting much of a fair shake in Oakland.

Gruden’s style never really seemed to fit the AFC North, nor Andy Dalton’s skill set. He often came off as philosophically stubborn rather than as a flexible coach, willing to adjust in order to better fit his players. This frustrated fans as it seemed clear that the “less is more” philosophy, pertaining to passing, often produced better results for Dalton and the Bengals. Jackson understands this and his philosophy also fits the Bengals better. What’s the point in having a top three defense if you’re going to throw the ball so often, enabling the opposition to get on the field more? Why not utilize the running game to control the time of possession, hence allowing this stellar defense to lead the team to victories? Jackson will resolve these philosophical discrepancies amongst the coaching staff in short order.

Jackson’s attitude will be a stark difference from his predecessor’s. It will challenge players to improve in ways they weren’t before, most notably Andy Dalton and AJ Green. Jackson’s tough and relentless demeanor will provide a balance amongst the coaching staff towards Dalton and Co. This isn’t an indictment against Dalton because he’s smart and works hard. But having a coach who challenges you differently on a day-to-day basis from the way current coaches have in the past, will provide a different way of looking at improvement and ability; this can only help the Bengals’ in the long run.

Jackson will also challenge AJ Green in different ways. Green is often heralded as a star and savior for Dalton and his lack of ability. These statements are often deserved as Green is capable of making great plays, even on bad throws. But there is an aspect of Green’s game that must be improved if he is to become the type of receiver he is perceived to be over the long haul; Green must get stronger and more aggressive at the point of the catch. This is one thing that won’t be a problem for Jackson to address. He is an aggressive coach who’ll want his attitude mirrored by the offense and this is where Green will have to improve in order to fit the attitude. It will help reduce some interceptions on throws that are forced to Green, as well as enable him to let corners like Joe Haden, who has often given Green difficulty, know that there’s a different approach to the game this year.

This same aggression will reinvigorate the offensive line. This line is an extremely effective one and does a great job in the passing game. That being said, there’s no better way to reward your line than to make them the aggressors in the trenches. Andrew Whitworth, the unit’s heart and soul, often talks of his penchant for “hitting” the opposition. His attitude will mesh with Jackson perfectly and inspire the line to take control of games, willing the team to victories through its aggression.

All this change will better fit the attitude of the AFC North, allowing the Bengals to get back to what makes these teams so successful and that’s aggression at the point of attack. Hue’s approach is more a severe black and less Gruden’s flashy orange. The offense was effective on paper in past years but rarely led the team to victory. He will bring an edge to the Bengals’ new emphasis on quality people and “nice guys.” The defense will remain the team’s dominant unit for a long time, especially under Marvin Lewis, but this new offensive attitude will not only hold leads better while decreasing costly turnovers, it will wear opponents down, punishing them until victory belongs to the Bengals.

http://stripehype.com/2014/05/21/hues-hue/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

Another thing to think about with a high paced attack is that it rewards your depth and tests the opposing team's depth...

You have to rotate your skill position guys to keep them fresh on offense (think Gio and Jeremy Hill). And you are going to get more snaps against the opposing teams' backups with the starters getting worn down.

It is a fair point that a quicker pace lengthens the game in general (more possessions for both teams), so it does test your own defenses depth a little bit also. But depth on both sides of the ball is one of the Bengals' biggest strengths right now. So it makes sense to try to find a way to take advantage of that strength.

When you look at some of the teams the Bengals will have to get through in the AFC playoffs, depth is where our advantage lies. Both NE and Denver have a lot of top end talent on both sides of the ball. But they also have a lot of older players (Demarcus Ware, Vince Wilfork, etc.) and their depth is questionable. Maybe we can press an advantage there.

I just think Seattle and San Francisco, the two best teams in football IMO, have the ideal blueprint for overall team success. They just methodically grind teams up. I am still not sure Jackson will use a lot of no-huddle or define success by how many offensive plays they average in a game. That certainly hasn't been his strategy at his other stops as a OC and as the Raiders head coach. Maybe we is just looking to practice up-tempo to help create an aggressive mentality. Certainly nothing wrong with that. I just want the offense to be built on power more than finesse. I want Dalton throwing fewer passes and throwing off of play-action more. Avoid the 3-and-10 situations that come from throwing on first and second downs so often.

I much prefer the SI.com article above on Jackson. That's the approach I want for the Bengals offense.

Archived