Bengals' offense 'very up-tempo' under Hue Jackson

If Gruden didn't get a HC gig this makes it sound like we'd been forced to fire him to get Hue place. I prefer Hue too.

As for up-tempo, I think this is partly in response to what Chip Kelly proved can be done in the NFL. Hue won't go to this extreme but many teams will look hard at moving in this direction.

If Gruden didn't get a HC gig this makes it sound like we'd been forced to fire him to get Hue place. I prefer Hue too.

As for up-tempo, I think this is partly in response to what Chip Kelly proved can be done in the NFL. Hue won't go to this extreme but many teams will look hard at moving in this direction.

I think we'll see them break the huddle a lot faster this year.  I remember on Hard Knocks Gruden saying the language was a bit long and complicated.  I'm hoping we're able to simplify that, get the the line quicker and allow Andy to survey the D instead of having to rush to do his checks.  Last year it seems like we were up agains the play clock quite often.

Let's just say there was a collective sigh of relief in the Bengals FO when Gruden got hired by the 'Skins.  I think Gruden saw the writing on the wall last season, which is one of the reasons his offensive schemes looked more like a portfolio than someone trying to win football games.. IMHO.

Not sure if it was just a case of coach cover up but there was a game last year that Andy had to use 2 timeouts just because the play clock was running out. Jay took the blame, saying he took too long to get the play into Andy and it was his fault that they had to burn their timeouts.

Bengals have been off and on up tempo offense at various points under Marvin.

The key point that people aren't mentioning. In 1988. Bengals could keep more than 11 in the offensive huddle and didn't have to let the defense subsitute.

Current day you can't do that. Our offenses in general under Lewis have been more package based when we are running out Henry or Roland etc. Last year they got all these toys they are trying to get in the game.

To be up tempo to day you have to play more often with the 11 you have on the field. Eifert and Gresh are huge in that they can be decent enough in run game but also mismatch in passing game.

While Jay is the current day whipping boy. Some root problems with offense seem to be carried over with Marvin, IMO. I think the guy gets a little wishy washy in what he wants to do at particular points of the game.

Bengals have been off and on up tempo offense at various points under Marvin.

The key point that people aren't mentioning. In 1988. Bengals could keep more than 11 in the offensive huddle and didn't have to let the defense subsitute.

Current day you can't do that. Our offenses in general under Lewis have been more package based when we are running out Henry or Roland etc. Last year they got all these toys they are trying to get in the game.

To be up tempo to day you have to play more often with the 11 you have on the field. Eifert and Gresh are huge in that they can be decent enough in run game but also mismatch in passing game.

While Jay is the current day whipping boy. Some root problems with offense seem to be carried over with Marvin, IMO. I think the guy gets a little wishy washy in what he wants to do at particular points of the game.

All good points. 2 things though. First by potentially replacing Ellis with hill it gives you a guy that can catch passes out of the backfield and run up the gut just like Gio. So now no matter which rb is in the game you could be more up tempo. As you mentioned having two tight end sets help with that as well.

Have aj jones Eifert gresh and Gio or hill and you can do almost any formation.

Second point regarding Marvin, hopefully his relationship with hue will allow him to give hue full control of the offense. My guess is he probably trusts hue more than jay and bob. Could be wrong on that but I'm hoping Marvin allows hue to create an identity.

All good points. 2 things though. First by potentially replacing Ellis with hill it gives you a guy that can catch passes out of the backfield and run up the gut just like Gio. So now no matter which rb is in the game you could be more up tempo. As you mentioned having two tight end sets help with that as well.

Second point regarding Marvin, hopefully his relationship with hue will allow him to give hue full control of the offense. My guess is he probably trusts hue more than jay and bob. Could be wrong on that but I'm hoping Marvin allows hue to create an identity.

from my perspective, Marvin has given ALL of his coordinators free reign (to a fault), but not all of them ended up sharing his philosophy.  With Gruden, I think it was more of the point that he didn't know what his identity as a coordinator was yet.  With Hue, you know what his identity is going to be.

Yeah Gio being a more complete back this year will help as well.

Yeah Gio being a more complete back this year will help as well.

I agree... I am pretty excited about the run game this year.

Gio.. year #2

Hill...young beast

BJGE... ?

Burk, Peer and Wilder.. actually like the first two and Wilder looks promising.... 

Some of you seem to have forgotten that Bratkowski was a pre-Marvin holdover that he shitcanned as soon as he was given free reign to do so...

yeah but ,the Bengals are going back to running the same offense bratkowski ran,which was an air coryell offens.the rout tree offense that people hated so much is coming back.

yeah but ,the Bengals are going back to running the same offense bratkowski ran,which was an air coryell offens.the rout tree offense that people hated so much is coming back.

Where did you get that idea? I doubt Bratfailski ever used the words "power" and "run" in the same sentence unless he was telling his kids to turn the lights off when they left a room.

Bengals factoid: Run-game direction

May, 23, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

Starting Friday, each weekday between now and the preseason, we'll have posts devoted to one unique stat that involves the Cincinnati Bengals. The statistics will revolve around the team as a whole or individual players.

Here's the first Bengals factoid: 3

We've made a lot this week about the Bengals' offense, particularly its dedication to having a truly physical, run-first philosophy. So, why not bring up a unique rushing statistic as we close out the week?

Three is the Bengals' NFL rank in running plays that went behind both the left and right guards last season. Cincinnati ran the ball 70 times behind the left guard combination of Clint Boling and Andrew Whitworth, and 92 times behind the right guard combination of Kevin Zeitler and Mike Pollak. The 70 carries ranked as the third most for a team behind the left guard, and the 92 also were the third most for a team that ran behind the right guard.

One thing the statistics show is the fact the Bengals actually did run fairly often last season. Cincinnati had 481 carries last year, good enough to rank eighth in the league. It's easy to think that they didn't run often primarily because of their approach in their playoff loss. Running backs BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Giovani Bernard were handed the ball just 20 times in a game that also saw quarterback Andy Dalton throw 51 passes; 31 of them came in the fourth quarter.

The problem with the Bengals' prolific rushing statistics, though, is the fact that they weren't very effective when they ran. Overall, they averaged 3.65 yards per attempt, good enough to rank 28th. When it came to specifically running behind the left guard they averaged 3.43 yards per rush. That ranked 24th among teams who ran that direction. They also averaged 3.67 yards per rush behind the right guard, good enough for a 20th ranking among teams who ran that direction.

All of this is to show the Bengals were between-the-tackles runners last season. The question is, with a different offensive coordinator and a tweaked philosophy and identity, will they be better at running that way this year?

Where did you get that idea? I doubt Bratfailski ever used the words "power" and "run" in the same sentence unless he was telling his kids to turn the lights off when they left a room.

hue jackson was always an air coryell offensive coordinator even when coach the Oakland raiders he ran a reverse air coryell offense but it was still an coryell offense,hue jackson ,Cam Cameron and bob bratkowski all come from the same coaching tree.we may see little bit of the west-coast offense but for the most part it will be a coryell offense with a mixture of the other two offensive coordinator's.

2009 that was their strength....the 'power' run with Roland checking in often as the 6th OLineman. 

Bengals factoid: Run-game direction

May, 23, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

Starting Friday, each weekday between now and the preseason, we'll have posts devoted to one unique stat that involves the Cincinnati Bengals. The statistics will revolve around the team as a whole or individual players.

Here's the first Bengals factoid: 3

We've made a lot this week about the Bengals' offense, particularly its dedication to having a truly physical, run-first philosophy. So, why not bring up a unique rushing statistic as we close out the week?

Three is the Bengals' NFL rank in running plays that went behind both the left and right guards last season. Cincinnati ran the ball 70 times behind the left guard combination of Clint Boling and Andrew Whitworth, and 92 times behind the right guard combination of Kevin Zeitler and Mike Pollak. The 70 carries ranked as the third most for a team behind the left guard, and the 92 also were the third most for a team that ran behind the right guard.

One thing the statistics show is the fact the Bengals actually did run fairly often last season. Cincinnati had 481 carries last year, good enough to rank eighth in the league. It's easy to think that they didn't run often primarily because of their approach in their playoff loss. Running backs BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Giovani Bernard were handed the ball just 20 times in a game that also saw quarterback Andy Dalton throw 51 passes; 31 of them came in the fourth quarter.

The problem with the Bengals' prolific rushing statistics, though, is the fact that they weren't very effective when they ran. Overall, they averaged 3.65 yards per attempt, good enough to rank 28th. When it came to specifically running behind the left guard they averaged 3.43 yards per rush. That ranked 24th among teams who ran that direction. They also averaged 3.67 yards per rush behind the right guard, good enough for a 20th ranking among teams who ran that direction.

All of this is to show the Bengals were between-the-tackles runners last season. The question is, with a different offensive coordinator and a tweaked philosophy and identity, will they be better at running that way this year?

The bold is why Jeremy Hill was drafted.  There were plenty of holes last year, unfortunately though, BJGE just isn't very good.  He left A LOT of yards on the field.  Even ones he 'broke'...another RB with more speed and quickness would have made more out of those runs.   I don't think he would get another NFL job if cut. 

hue jackson was always an air coryell offensive coordinator even when coach the Oakland raiders he ran a reverse air coryell offense but it was still an coryell offense,hue jackson ,Cam Cameron and bob bratkowski all come from the same coaching tree.we may see little bit of the west-coast offense but for the most part it will be a coryell offense with a mixture of the other two offensive coordinator's.

While that's true that Jackson comes from that sort of background, remember that the Bengals are keeping Gruden's playbook for the most part, simply changing the terminology, line checks etc...  I'm sure Hue will put his own twists into the offense but the foundation of the offense is still West Coast principles.  

There were plenty of holes last year, unfortunately though, BJGE just isn't very good.  He left A LOT of yards on the field.  Even ones he 'broke'...another RB with more speed and quickness would have made more out of those runs.   I don't think he would get another NFL job if cut. 

Gio Bernard would beg to differ with you.  That poor little guy was constantly crunched behind the LOS, and if he weren't regularly pulling rabbits out of his hat would have had even less than his rather pedestrian 4.1 ypc that he managed.

Gio Bernard would beg to differ with you.  That poor little guy was constantly crunched behind the LOS, and if he weren't regularly pulling rabbits out of his hat would have had even less than his rather pedestrian 4.1 ypc that he managed.

Below average OLG, below average OC, and a stud ORG who IMHO hasn't been right since since an elbow injury in his rookie season robbed him of his punch.

Yet behind that poor interior line BJGE left hundred and hundreds of phantom yards? Please.

The phantom yard rant belongs right up there with the one that claims Gresham was always open but was never thrown the ball.

Below average OLG, below average OC, and a stud ORG who IMHO hasn't been right since since an elbow injury in his rookie season robbed him of his punch.

Yet behind that poor interior line BJGE left hundred and hundreds of phantom yards? Please.

The phantom yard rant belongs right up there with the one that claims Gresham was always open but was never thrown the ball.

Since signing BJGE they drafted 2 RBs in the second round. What do you know that they don't?

BJGE isn't on the ropes for his roster position because his YPC is solely being damaged by interior line play.

Gio didn't hit the holes like he should have either....which is typical of a rookie.  He 'danced' behind the line a bit too much.   Bengals didn't go out and draft OLine at all aside from Center due to theirs having lost his legs and thus, his effectiveness.   They did draft a RB though, very high so I would say the Bengals choice in draft picks would beg to differ with your theory. 

Archived