WORLD CUP 2014

I'm by no means a World Cup aficionado, but this USA team seems far too patient/conservative.

There's been a number of times where they've had a chance to take a shot, and they try to make an extra pass and end up losing the chance.

Just fire it in there and see how it bounces around.  

Regardless, this is the reason Wondo shouldn't have been on the roster.  He's done this way too many times against good sides.  It should have been Boyd or Donovan, who would have buried that mother.  I'm a little bitter about the last 30 minutes, but extremely proud of this team.  Sucks this happens every four years.  I hope we are hanging out at the confed cup in three years, but 2018 I think these boys have semi-final potential, especially if some key parts pan out.

Two very young guys had very good games today.  Yedlin and Green with a amazing finish.  Heck, Yedlin probably just took the RB spot allowing Fabian to move to RW where he is much more dangerous.  

It was, but shouldn't have been. He was clearly onside.

(still think Football is dull, America?)

He was not offside, the referee had the flag up, but was pointing with it for a goal kick....after the horrible, horrible miss from point blank distance.   Many in America will always think Futbol is dull, it's an issue of ego now vs legitimately analyzing the game and appreciating it for what it is. 

Regardless, this is the reason Wondo shouldn't have been on the roster.  He's done this way too many times against good sides.  It should have been Boyd or Donovan, who would have buried that mother.  I'm a little bitter about the last 30 minutes, but extremely proud of this team.  Sucks this happens every four years.  I hope we are hanging out at the confed cup in three years, but 2018 I think these boys have semi-final potential, especially if some key parts pan out.

Two very young guys had very good games today.  Yedlin and Green with a amazing finish.  Heck, Yedlin probably just took the RB spot allowing Fabian to move to RW where he is much more dangerous.  

Bradley is a great player, world class when it pertains to playing defense, mid field and even lobbing some balls for the attacking players he's good at, but that's about it.  He can be a world class player if he sticks to his strengths and doesn't try to go outside of himself but once he does that, he becomes a liability quickly.  Yedlin's speed is a wonderful thing and JUlian Green shows potential as well, but he will need to mature physically a whole lot before he's going to be someone who opposing teams truly worry about.  Yedlin was the player who essentially left the open space for the Lukaku goal....which was a fantastic play in itself.  Perfect timing.   Belgium is tough....I wouldn't be surprised to see them go all the way with the technicians they have.  Origi is a dangerous player, can score at any moment from anywhere.  Hazard, the euro Messi wanna-be is also very good if not so undisciplined. 

But yeah, Yedlin and Green both provides glimpses into US squads of the future. 

Fantastic World Cup thus far....

Mike looked good during the send off series.  I am not going to say he can't play the 10 role without seeing him play more with Jozy.  Losing Jozy basically was the death of this team and we still got out of the group of death.  It was evident in the possession stats though.  He's the only back to goal guy this team has and is really good at link up play.  I do think Landon should have been our 10 this tourney with Mike hanging back with Jermaine.  I think Mike could be a 10 if he keeps at it.  Great instincts and can put the ball where he wants.  

He was not offside, the referee had the flag up, but was pointing with it for a goal kick....after the horrible, horrible miss from point blank distance. Many in America will always think Futbol is dull, it's an issue of ego now vs legitimately analyzing the game and appreciating it for what it is.

Not sure "ego" is the right description.  But your point is correct.       The American sports fan needs a more frequent rooting interest to drive a reason to watch more soccer.  IF that happens the game will not seem boring or dull because they'll begin to understand the critical points of strategy.

America's popular sports have spots of dullness if the fan watching didn't understand the strategy.

Football - constant running at the end to protect a lead and run the clock.

Basketball - constant fouling and free throws

Baseball - take your pick here

Many aspects aren't considered "dull" because the fans kinda know why it is happening. 

He was not offside, the referee had the flag up, but was pointing with it for a goal kick....after the horrible, horrible miss from point blank distance.   Many in America will always think Futbol is dull, it's an issue of ego now vs legitimately analyzing the game and appreciating it for what it is. 

Ah, bullshit.  I watched a good bit of this WC but if someone doesn't like it, they don't like it. Honestly I think most of the resistance to soccer (what is this Futbol nonsense?) in the US can be traced to this sort of elitist attitude.  You aren't more cosmopolitan or sophisticated for watching soccer, and it just sounds like typical hipster posturing when you go down that road. I think people in general would find it more appealing if US soccer fans didn't seem so concerned with validation.

What a bummer that Neymar is out for the rest of the WC.  He's really been playing well.  Barca should be a powerhouse next year especially after gaining Suarez.

What a bummer that Neymar is out for the rest of the WC.  He's really been playing well.  Barca should be a powerhouse next year especially after gaining Suarez.

not only that, but Thiago Silva is out as well.  Arguably their 2 most important players, not able to play in a WC semifinal.  That's a shame. 

Archived