What the hell is happening in Ferguson?

kennethmw

Have any of you been watching this shit? This looks like something you would see in Russia or East Germany. Where were these guys when it was Cliven Bundy?

Which "guys" are you referring to and how does a police coverup into the shooting of an unarmed black man relate to a wealthy ranch owner refusing to pay his bills?

I support the protestors and groups like Anonymous doing what they do. Shows that the people will rise up when pushed too far.

Maybe groups finding out information and releasing it to the public can put a dent in the massive corruption running rampant in government, at all levels.

Off topic but I used to work for the city of Newport in my late teens/early 20's and shared a break trailer with the police/officials working the various festivals down on the levee. The amount of corruption/racism/law breaking they talked about freely was mind blowing... I was sitting at the same table right next to them, clearly not a cop, and they didn't care one bit because they knew they had nothing to worry about. Best part was the mayor was sitting at the table laughing with them!  Talk about first hand experience of how the world really works...

Two of the more memorable ones:

Cop wanting to open a shooting school for criminals so "the damn n*ggers wouldn't miss each other so often". The trailer erupted with laughter...

NUMEROUS stories on how they would pull over a car, find drugs and money, and arrest the person. Only to vastly under report what they had found. One cop proceeded to thank a dealer for putting his son through college... joked about having enough money leftover for a boat too.

And plenty more. All without fear of consequence. Disgusting really.

Which "guys" are you referring to and how does a police coverup into the shooting of an unarmed black man relate to a wealthy ranch owner refusing to pay his bills?

I'm talking about the incredible display of the militarization of the police, and their willingness to seem to do anything to put down these protests of the people they are "supposed" to serve and protect, not punish and enforce. The comparison is the way they backed down when it was a group of whites, and elevated enforcement when it was a group of people with brown skin.

It's frickin' crazy.

I detest the protestors breaking and stealing shit, and beating up innocent people. That's inexcusable to me.

i like seeing them getting attention of the government - but leave the cashier at Autozone alone, man.

And yeah, it fucking pisses me off that they backed down from Cliven Bundy. They should arrested every one of those people who had loaded rifles pointed at the authorities.

Is that what is happening? I have read one story that had both the officers story and the guys with the victims story and it seems arguable that the victim attacked the cop first. 

I support the protestors and groups like Anonymous doing what they do. Shows that the people will rise up when pushed too far.

Maybe groups finding out information and releasing it to the public can put a dent in the massive corruption running rampant in government, at all levels.

Off topic but I used to work for the city of Newport in my late teens/early 20's and shared a break trailer with the police/officials working the various festivals down on the levee. The amount of corruption/racism/law breaking they talked about freely was mind blowing... I was sitting at the same table right next to them, clearly not a cop, and they didn't care one bit because they knew they had nothing to worry about. Best part was the mayor was sitting at the table laughing with them!  Talk about first hand experience of how the world really works...

Two of the more memorable ones:

Cop wanting to open a shooting school for criminals so "the damn n*ggers wouldn't miss each other so often". The trailer erupted with laughter...

NUMEROUS stories on how they would pull over a car, find drugs and money, and arrest the person. Only to vastly under report what they had found. One cop proceeded to thank a dealer for putting his son through college... joked about having enough money leftover for a boat too.

And plenty more. All without fear of consequence. Disgusting really.

I know tons of great cops. 

I'm talking about the incredible display of the militarization of the police, and their willingness to seem to do anything to put down these protests of the people they are "supposed" to serve and protect, not punish and enforce. The comparison is the way they backed down when it was a group of whites, and elevated enforcement when it was a group of people with brown skin.

Isn't there looting and rioting going on?

Seen elsewhere:

When the people of Gaza are tweeting instructions to Americans about how to handle tear gas attacks, we've crossed a terrible bridge.

And:

Glad to see all those gun advocates whose main focus is on insisting we need to be armed against a government police state are all flocking to Ferguson to fulfill their vision. Oh they aren't? Weird.

Yep, weston, anytime black people start protesting it's considered a "riot". Additionally, consider this my only conversation with you on this subject, after the Trayvon conversations, I know where you stand when it comes to black people and authority figures.

Yep, weston, anytime black people start protesting it's considered a "riot". Additionally, consider this my only conversation with you on this subject, after the Trayvon conversations, I know where you stand when it comes to black people and authority figures.

Arn't they rioting?

http://nypost.com/2014/08/11/st-louis-suburb-erupts-in-rioting-after-cops-shoot-dead-unarmed-man/

People Riot-police try to stop them-police bad. 

I am tired of people blaming the police for everything. Police have impossible jobs and to make them villains is absurd. Sure there are some bad cops out there, like anything.

What would you want them to do, let the rioters destroy the city?  Police are in a can't win here.

In regards to the Trayvon situation many people were completely ignoring his role in it, which they are also doing here. And they also did in the Eric Garner case. Of course there are some bad police who treat African Americans horribly. In every one of those 3 situations the death was avoidable by the deceased by simply taking an action a reasonable person would have. One could have went home and not attacked, Zimmerman. One could have complied with the police after being a known criminal, and if the reports are true one could have not attacked the police officer in the first place. If the reports are true. I have seen 2 statements. One said the cop was attacked one said that the cop attacked the guy. Both statements seems so polar that the truth is likely in the middle. 

The problem has less to do with race than socio-economics.  I have more in common with you than I do a poor white person from Appalachia. Or Lebron James. We have created a society where there is a very large population that believes, right or wrong, that they don't have the ability to get justice outside of violence. That this case wouldn't be found in their favor even if they were right. Those people rioting don't care about the facts of this case. They care about their own history of mistreatment in other areas and they don't have much to lose. These types of shootings, independent of the facts, just reinforce beliefs (that I don't disagree with) that they are victims. That place was likely a powder keg and our society is as well.  The facts of this case are independent of the riots.  A reasonable person can wait on the facts and see this from the outside. Many people are too angry to be reasonable. 

See it's hard for me to not take the police side to an extent here then. What on earth does looting have to do with protesting how the kid was shot? It's just making things worse.

Yes, Jamie, there was some looting the first day, and I can see why that would make the police decide to fire tear gas at the peaceful protesters, shoot them with rubber bullets and beanbags, shoot tear gas into crowds of black people praying, arrest a St Louis alderman, arrest two journalists who were resting and charging their equipment in a McDonald's, and declare restricted air space over the town so no news helicopters can film what's going on. Yep, nothing to hide here, just serving and protecting.

Yes, Jamie, there was some looting the first day, and I can see why that would make the police decide to fire tear gas at the peaceful protesters, shoot them with rubber bullets and beanbags, shoot tear gas into crowds of black people praying, arrest a St Louis alderman, arrest two journalists who were resting and charging their equipment in a McDonald's, and declare restricted air space over the town so no news helicopters can film what's going on. Yep, nothing to hide here, just serving and protecting.

Ken stop it, you know damned well that I have little love for overzealous responses, but how in the damn hell is looting going to help your cause?

Looting always happens during riots but provides a handy distraction from the real issues.

Oh someone stole a TV while the entire city's PD was busy playing Call of Duty: Unarmed Civilians? Well in that case all those rioters are just petty criminals to be crushed.

Don't buy into it.

Ken stop it, you know damned well that I have little love for overzealous responses, but how in the damn hell is looting going to help your cause?

Jamie, looting isn't the problem, it's a symptom of the problem. That community is 65% black, however, there are only three blacks on the 53 man police force, and none on the school board. They are twice as likely to be stopped by the police, five times as likely to be arrested for some BS reason, and we all know they are being racially profiled. There is a two-tiered system in our society,and although I think you know that, I don't think many of you understand what it feels like.

Let me just tell you a story. One of my customers, a young early twenties black girl, bought a CLA from our dealership about two months ago. While driving it two weeks ago, she was hit by an older white woman who ran a stop sign and totaled her vehicle. Thank God, she, her sister and her 4 month old niece were not hurt physically, however, imagine her surprise when the police came up, surveyed the situation and then told her that she should be ashamed for destroying that white lady's Mercedes. This is what people of color deal with every day. Now, I don't know if she had dealt with this before, but she got a full look at where her position is, in the eyes of our society. It's this, furtive looks, a total disregard for your humanity, a sense that "THEY" don't believe that you are a member of the society that "They" belong to. Can you see why when you're disenfranchised, when you're treated as a criminal, that it leads to some of this? So many of you see it when it's the Palestinians, but what's the real difference?

I don't disagree with what you are saying I am asking how on earth does looting help your cause? Also I fail to see the connection between this and the Palestinians. How does stealing something from a 3rd party not involved in the police overzealousness at all the same thing?

I don't disagree with what you are saying I am asking how on earth does looting help your cause? Also I fail to see the connection between this and the Palestinians. How does stealing something from a 3rd party not involved in the police overzealousness at all the same thing?

Looters are opportunists that have little or nothing to do with any cause. The line you're being fed would have you equate looters with rioters. Don't bite.

Jamie, looting isn't the problem, it's a symptom of the problem. That community is 65% black, however, there are only three blacks on the 53 man police force, and none on the school board. They are twice as likely to be stopped by the police, five times as likely to be arrested for some BS reason, and we all know they are being racially profiled. There is a two-tiered system in our society,and although I think you know that, I don't think many of you understand what it feels like.

Let me just tell you a story. One of my customers, a young early twenties black girl, bought a CLA from our dealership about two months ago. While driving it two weeks ago, she was hit by an older white woman who ran a stop sign and totaled her vehicle. Thank God, she, her sister and her 4 month old niece were not hurt physically, however, imagine her surprise when the police came up, surveyed the situation and then told her that she should be ashamed for destroying that white lady's Mercedes. This is what people of color deal with every day. Now, I don't know if she had dealt with this before, but she got a full look at where her position is, in the eyes of our society. It's this, furtive looks, a total disregard for your humanity, a sense that "THEY" don't believe that you are a member of the society that "They" belong to. Can you see why when you're disenfranchised, when you're treated as a criminal, that it leads to some of this? So many of you see it when it's the Palestinians, but what's the real difference?

One cop does not equal society. 

Can you show me the videos and stories of people peacefully protesting that were getting tear gassed? Can you show the real reason the people in McDonalds were arrested. There doesn't seem to be much objectivity in your discussion, just anger. 

[quote name="Jamie_B" post="1369851" timestamp="1408048911"]I don't disagree with what you are saying I am asking how on earth does looting help your cause? Also I fail to see the connection between this and the Palestinians. How does stealing something from a 3rd party not involved in the police overzealousness at all the same thing?[/quit

Jamie, I will continue to respond to you, because I think you, at least, are trying to be objective. Looting doesn't help, but the looting does not equate to a militarized zone in an American city. I will say, however, that if you think looting one day, that everyone in the community decried, should result in everyone's rights being denied, then I don't truly know what to say. Take the time to go and look at the pictures on every legitimate media source, and tell me that is the response that is required. It's a false equivalency. As far as the Palestinians, they are considered second class citizens in their land, just as I and my people are in ours, as well as any other person of color.

Ah yes, point taken.  Keep in mind though that you're talking about federal agents who are keenly aware of the growing hordes of disaffected privileged white guy paramilitary groups anxiously waiting for a chance to go all Walmart Rambo.

Whereas, in Missouri, the disaffected privileged white guy paramilitary group is the local PD.

Archived