Brian Kelly for Head Coach

I would have as tough a time accepting Cowher as our coach as the UK faithful had when Calipari became the coach.  Amazing how quickly success makes fans forget.

Cal wasn't a rival to UK.   UK beat him in the final four.        Apples and Oranges.    Prior to UK, Cal hadn't won a title and had two vacated and there was concern whether he was worth the risk.

Cal wasn't a rival to UK.   UK beat him in the final four.        Apples and Oranges.    Prior to UK, Cal hadn't won a title and had two vacated and there was concern whether he was worth the risk.

UK fans didn't like  Calpari for being a cheater...until he became their cheater and lifted banners.

UK fans didn't like  Calpari for being a cheater...until he became their cheater and lifted banners.

No.     Once Tubby left.   UK fans would have takent Cal or Billy D.   Most wanted Billy D over Cal but there are several reasons including the reputation.

The second time around,  Cal was hugely the choice of UK fans.  

Problem here is, no decent coach would even think about coaching here. 

Laughable.    If you could get Marvin Lewis, Tom Coughlin and Mike Mularkey to give you serious interest following 2002. 

You would have 0 problem getting interest from quality coaches today.   The biggest hurdle would be getting a coach to mix well with Tobin.

Laughable.    If you could get Marvin Lewis, Tom Coughlin and Mike Mularkey to give you serious interest following 2002. 

You would have 0 problem getting interest from quality coaches today.   The biggest hurdle would be getting a coach to mix well with Tobin.

I think with the talent we have, a good coach would come here.  The only perceived issue with the Bengals right now on the National level is the play of Andy Dalton,  fair or not (Not fair) that is the issue.    

We are not 4-12 with our QB demanding a trade or players are getting arrested every week like the good old days.   

I think a good coach would come in and  thinking he has a lot to work with and cap space.

I think with the talent we have, a good coach would come here.  The only perceived issue with the Bengals right now on the National level is the play of Andy Dalton,  fair or not (Not fair) that is the issue.    

We are not 4-12 with our QB demanding a trade or players are getting arrested every week like the good old days.   

I think a good coach would come in and  thinking he has a lot to work with and cap space.

The Mike Brown factor is still in play, the quality coaches that have proven to be better than Marvin would want to be the GM and I don't think MB is willing to give up that level of control. If Gruden, Cowher, Dungy or whoever came here do really think they would want to work with Mike Brown the GM?

The Mike Brown factor is still in play, the quality coaches that have proven to be better than Marvin would want to be the GM and I don't think MB is willing to give up that level of control. If Gruden, Cowher, Dungy or whoever came here do really think they would want to work with Mike Brown the GM?

Why not, the current administration has done a good job of stock piling pretty good talent.  We are not Jacksonville or the Jets.

Why not, the current administration has done a good job of stock piling pretty good talent.  We are not Jacksonville or the Jets.

Because they would want to the GM/President of Football Operations...If they are a Super Bowl winning coach, their resume is better than MB's and they would want control/final say of the roster and want MB to get out of the way. I can't see him giving that type of power to anyone. 

Because they would want to the GM/President of Football Operations...If they are a Super Bowl winning coach, their resume is better than MB's and they would want control/final say of the roster and want MB to get out of the way. I can't see him giving that type of power to anyone. 

He for the most part already has, he's said he's not really involved in the day to day operations or putting the team together, he leaves all that to Marvin and Duke.

Why not? This team has drafted as well as anybody over the past ten years.

The people murmuring about Cowher - man, would he be perfect on a number of fronts.

Intensity and accountability would be instantly addressed.

He knows the division.

And he would clearly instantly restore some hope to a beaten down fanbase and help sell tix.

Too bad it can never happen. 

Never say never. ESPNFL loves drama.

A couple things that I wouldn't like about Cowher if it would ever happen: 

1.  He has a championship with the Stealers and good amount of history.   It would suck to share that and it's unlikely with his age that he'd pass it.   It'd be like Rick Pitino trying to tell the world his Cards championship is better than the 1996 Cats.   Sure, OK, whatever no one is buying that crap.

2. TV money makes you soft.   Jimmy Johnson was a beast in Dallas.   Went to TV then Dolphins.   Never was the same as he was with Cowboys.

3.  Dick Lebeau.    It's his defense that was the foundation of Cowher's success.   They were able to constantly find good quality nose guards and rush backers.  

Given the alternatives that you would really pump life into the fan base and organization,  I would make the deal anyway despite the above reservations.

The added benefit would be if he could just go back to whooping Cleveland's ass all the time.   That would be hilarious. 

A couple things that I wouldn't like about Cowher if it would ever happen: 

1.  He has a championship with the Stealers and good amount of history.   It would suck to share that and it's unlikely with his age that he'd pass it.   It'd be like Rick Pitino trying to tell the world his Cards championship is better than the 1996 Cats.   Sure, OK, whatever no one is buying that crap.

2. TV money makes you soft.   Jimmy Johnson was a beast in Dallas.   Went to TV then Dolphins.   Never was the same as he was with Cowboys.

3.  Dick Lebeau.    It's his defense that was the foundation of Cowher's success.   They were able to constantly find good quality nose guards and rush backers.  

Given the alternatives that you would really pump life into the fan base and organization,  I would make the deal anyway despite the above reservations.

The added benefit would be if he could just go back to whooping Cleveland's ass all the time.   That would be hilarious. 

How about this team wins a playoff game first and then worry about the head coach's legacy?

Agree 100%--he's already screwed Cincinnati once. As far as I'm concerned, he can go to hell.

Unless there is some type of miracle turnaround I'm about 90% certain this will be Marvin's last year. Even MB has to know that Marvin Lewis has reached his upper limit and it's time for a change.

Seriously, if you had a chance to get out of Cincinnati and go to Notre Dame, you wouldn't? Seriously? If you could get a substantial raise and a better position for you and your family, you would not do it?

Okay, my point is he did the right thing to leave UC and go to ND. No one should get on his case for bettering himself.

So if your wife could better herself by leaving you for another guy, you'd be okay with that?

Don't bother answering that. I'm merely pointing out that Kelly was in a relationship with UC, and it should be understandable that some would take issue with him leaving "to better himself".

...but maybe they're old fashioned. :shrug:

So if your wife could better herself by leaving you for another guy, you'd be okay with that?

Don't bother answering that. I'm merely pointing out that Kelly was in a relationship with UC, and it should be understandable that some would take issue with him leaving "to better himself".

...but maybe they're old fashioned. :shrug:

I hadn't realized he had taken an oath of lifetime commitment.

Archived