Trade Dalton for RG3

I'd rather go cutler.

In fact if the Bears would really give up their first pick to get rid of cutler Id take him as long as he'd be willing to rework his deal.

I just don't think trading for an injury prone qb or signing another mediocre qb will change anything. Might as well stay with Dalton unless you can get a potential top 10 guy.

firefly.gif

If we could somehow take him off their hands, it would be the best move this franchise has ever made. You'd have to think that organization is gonna want SOMETHING in return, unless they just reaaaally wanna get rid of him. I dunno.

It'd be awesome. I'd rather just make a move for Winston

Kill me now.

Thank jebus neither will happen.

firefly.gif

I'm not a huge cutler fan but he's had some good years. A good oline and a change of scenery I think could do him well.

Even though he got benched this year he still had a passer rating of 89.

At least people would stop bitching. For a year till we went one and done again and people start begging us to start Ryan lindley or soemthing because he puts up two decent games next year.

I'm not a huge cutler fan but he's had some good years. A good oline and a change of scenery I think could do him well.

At least people would stop bitching. For a year till we went one and done again and people start begging us to start Ryan lindley or soemthing because he puts up two decent games next year.

Not arguing with you perse, but he's not great and his attitude sucks.

Not arguing with you perse, but he's not great and his attitude sucks.

Cutler was evaluated, drafted, traded for, and paid like he could become a top 5 QB.   That's fact.   He has top 5 abilities. 

Another fact he is no where close to a top 5 QB.       That plays hugely into "he's not that great" perception.    When compared to top 5 QBs he isn't that great. 

None of that is a factor when the question becomes can he upgrade the QB spot for the Cincinnati Bengals?  Yes he can is the answer.

However, it looks like the Bears are moving towards Shanahan as the next coach so I bet he will be happy to ride with Cutler again. 

However, it looks like the Bears are moving towards Shanahan as the next coach so I bet he will be happy to ride with Cutler again. 

Just because a trade from every single aspect is unrealistic, why let that stop anyone here from sharting out every AD idea they have?

I'd rather go cutler.

In fact if the Bears would really give up their first pick to get rid of cutler Id take him as long as he'd be willing to rework his deal.

I just don't think trading for an injury prone qb or signing another mediocre qb will change anything. Might as well stay with Dalton unless you can get a potential top 10 guy.

I completely agree here. The best thing about the team is the culture and Rg3 and Cutler seem like Culture killers. I'd grab another guy, pair him with Dalton and roll the dice with that. 

Cutler was evaluated, drafted, traded for, and paid like he could become a top 5 QB.   That's fact.   He has top 5 abilities. 

Another fact he is no where close to a top 5 QB.       That plays hugely into "he's not that great" perception.    When compared to top 5 QBs he isn't that great. 

None of that is a factor when the question becomes can he upgrade the QB spot for the Cincinnati Bengals?  Yes he can is the answer.

Just out of curiosity (and this from someone who said j would at least consider it) how do you explain him never having a QB rating over 90 for a season in a career?

He is the definition of an 80s rated qb you always talk about.

Now I don't think that is the end of the world, but you sure as hell talk like it is with Dalton.

Just curious because you keep sayingr all this stuff about hkm being a top 5 talent but he's never had a rating over 90 in 8 seasons.

A couple things...

Beware of quarterbacks that put up good numbers while being blown out.  The Bears lost by more than a touchdown seven times this year.  That makes for a lot of garbage time.  I don't claim to have seen every Bears game this year, and I don't care to pull each and every game log apart, BUT I did watch him throw for about 250 and a couple touchdowns against the Cowboys in the second half of a game that was out of reach.

At some point, a guy is what he is.  Over his nine seasons, his production is steady.  With the exception of 2009, when he struggled and up a 76.8, Cutler's passer rating has been between 81.3 and 89.2.  His career passer rating is 85.2.  Scharm loves to use the term "80-something quarterback".  Jay Cutler is the personification of that.

Additionally, Cutler hasn't been a consistent winner.  His career record as a starter is 61-58.  I don't buy for one second that he's played on bad teams his whole career.  He got to Denver in '06.  The Broncos played in the AFC Championship Game in '05.  The team he took over in Chicago was two years removed from a Super Bowl.  He's been throwing the ball to Brandon Marshall, essentially, hi entire career.  Matt Forte ought to be considered a superstar.  My point is that while Culter's had some personnel issues around him, no one should pretend he's been surrounded by the Sisters of Mercy.

If we're convinced that Andy Dalton has reached his ceiling after 4 years, why could Jay Cutler suddenly become something he's obviously not in Year 10 or 11?

Just out of curiosity (and this from someone who said j would at least consider it) how do you explain him never having a QB rating over 90 for a season in a career?

He is the definition of an 80s rated qb you always talk about.

Now I don't think that is the end of the world, but you sure as hell talk like it is with Dalton.

Just curious because you keep sayingr all this stuff about hkm being a top 5 talent but he's never had a rating over 90 in 8 seasons.

Not sure of your question.    I'll summarize.    Cutler has the physical tools to be a top 5 QB.   He's never come close to achieving that.

But when you look at it he's got advantages over Dalton.

If we're convinced that Andy Dalton has reached his ceiling after 4 years, why could Jay Cutler suddenly become something he's obviously not in Year 10 or 11?

Not saying that.   Cutler will be the same Qb he's always been.    He has an arm that will drive production out of this offense while giving you the same amount of mistakes Dalton gives you.

Dalton through out his career has a high number of mistakes while throwing the ball within 5 yards of the LOS.

Can I ask a follow up question?   I believe you have been one of many posters to point to the offensive line to excuse Dalton.   Correct?

Wouldn't that apply to Cutler?   Compare the number of sacks and hits between the two franchises when Dalton came into the league.

Not sure of your question.    I'll summarize.    Cutler has the physical tools to be a top 5 QB.   He's never come close to achieving that.

But when you look at it he's got advantages over Dalton.

I guess my point is I think there is a better chance the qb that is only 4 years into the league and has shown the ability to run this offense as a top ten offense (see 2013) has a better chance to succeed next year on this team then a guy we are hoping finally lives up to his talent in his 10th year.

There is a history of qbs taking a big step 5 years into the league. Not much of a history of qbs finally taking that step in their 9th or 10th years.

Basically what I'm getting from all this is that Cutler has less upside & is basically a lateral move but he's still preferable because his interceptions occur further downfield & he isn't named Andy Dalton.

Eh, blindly supporting Dalton after year 2 didn't work.   After year 3 didn't work.   Blindly supporting him after year 4 into 5 isn't going to work either.

I guess my point is I think there is a better chance the qb that is only 4 years into the league and has shown the ability to run this offense as a top ten offense (see 2013) has a better chance to succeed next year on this team then a guy we are hoping finally lives up to his talent in his 10th year.

There is a history of qbs taking a big step 5 years into the league. Not much of a history of qbs finally taking that step in their 9th or 10th years.

Point is invalid.     Cutler's demonstrated record in the NFL as is gives you a better chance than Dalton year 5.      The scenario isn't based on Cutler becoming great.

Cutler got his team to a Conference Championship and people are smoking crack if they think Dalton does anything more with those same Chicago teams in the same period.

Archived