FREE AGENT WATCH 2015: BACK TO THE FUTURE

Another interesting player who got cut was Kendall Langford. Bengals had him in for a FA visit 3 years ago and seemed to like him a lot, but he ended up signing a $6M per year long term deal with the Rams instead. He was a starter for them until they took a DT in the top half of the 1st round last year (go-bengals forum favorite Aaron Donald). If he's willing to take backup type dollars, he'd be a great #4 DT who could step in and start if we suffered an injury or two and we know the Bengals liked him a few years ago.

Another interesting player who got cut was Kendall Langford. Bengals had him in for a FA visit 3 years ago and seemed to like him a lot, but he ended up signing a $6M per year long term deal with the Rams instead. He was a starter for them until they took a DT in the top half of the 1st round last year (go-bengals forum favorite Aaron Donald). If he's willing to take backup type dollars, he'd be a great #4 DT who could step in and start if we suffered an injury or two and we know the Bengals liked him a few years ago.

I'm sure our coaching staff wouldn't agree, but I would put Langford ahead of Peko at this point.

I get what Peko brings in as far as leadership and team mentality but he just hasn't had what it takes to make or impact big plays at DT. Yeah, he blows up a screen play here and there but there's no consistency in his play like there was 3 or 4 years ago.

Maybe that's because Geno wasn't near 100% this year or maybe it's because he didn't have MJ playing on the line with him this year. I just don't see a downside to replacing Peko or at least phasing him out this season.

Another interesting player who got cut was Kendall Langford. 

Langford is more of a 3-4 DE.  I wanted him in the draft and he made the All Rookie team for Miami playing DE.   I did not realize he was playing 4-3 DT for St. Louis.

Bengals really like guys who can play both DE and DT, so maybe he fits that role.  He has never missed a single game with injury in 7 years and has started 90 games.  I'd love to sign him.

Langford is more of a 3-4 DE.  I wanted him in the draft and he made the All Rookie team for Miami playing DE.   I did not realize he was playing 4-3 DT for St. Louis.

Bengals really like guys who can play both DE and DT, so maybe he fits that role.  He has never missed a single game with injury in 7 years and has started 90 games.  I'd love to sign him.

He's a bit of a tweener I guess, but he would be a pass rushing DT here. Would make a nice backup for Geno and you could put both of them out there together on 3rd down and long.

DT is what we wanted him as in FA 3 years ago. He was too expensive so we ended up drafting 2nd and 3rd round DTs a month later. 

I am not as down on Peko as most, but I think half of his problem was that he was playing too many snaps. Thompson missed the first half of the year, Still just wasn't good and Geno was only playing 50-60% of the snaps recovering from injury. That left Peko out there nearly every down. He's sort of like Maualuga. Use him in the proper role and he can be a good player, but he's not an every down guy. Like Maualuga, I think we'd realize how useful he is if he ever missed an extended period and his backups struggled.

The focus should be on getting a strong 4th DT to add into the rotation and not creating yet another hole by cutting Peko IMO. 

He's a bit of a tweener I guess, but he would be a pass rushing DT here. Would make a nice backup for Geno and you could put both of them out there together on 3rd down and long.

DT is what we wanted him as in FA 3 years ago. He was too expensive so we ended up drafting 2nd and 3rd round DTs a month later. 

I am not as down on Peko as most, but I think half of his problem was that he was playing too many snaps. Thompson missed the first half of the year, Still just wasn't good and Geno was only playing 50-60% of the snaps recovering from injury. That left Peko out there nearly every down. He's sort of like Maualuga. Use him in the proper role and he can be a good player, but he's not an every down guy. Like Maualuga, I think we'd realize how useful he is if he ever missed an extended period and his backups struggled.

The focus should be on getting a strong 4th DT to add into the rotation and not creating yet another hole by cutting Peko IMO.

+1 agree. Peko should stay as a rotational guy.

I don't mind keeping Peko, though I do think he is overpaid and heading in the wrong direction fast. 

The one allowance I will give is that, given the Devon Still situation and other injuries last season, Peko MAY have been playing a lot more than he was used to, and so, was simply gassed.  

A quick check shows me he played 40 snaps more last year than 2013.  I'm not sure 2.5 snaps per game is quite significant.

Nevermind.

I've got a feeling that's our guy. And I'd put the over/under on his next contract at $6.5mil/.

I'd be very happy with him or Jabaal Sheard. Somebody like that isn't a huge name but would be a legit starter and just entering their prime years. 

Both guys were drafted high to play 4-3 DE but forced to switch to 3-4 OLB after coaching changes. They were both pretty good at LB, but I think both are better fits at DE. They might come a little cheaper than they would have if they'd been playing DE last season.

I'd be very happy with him or Jabaal Sheard. Somebody like that isn't a huge name but would be a legit starter and just entering their prime years. 

Both guys were drafted high to play 4-3 DE but forced to switch to 3-4 OLB after coaching changes. They were both pretty good at LB, but I think both are better fits at DE. They might come a little cheaper than they would have if they'd been playing DE last season.

My thoughts exactly. The only thig you left out is that both guys are young. Morgan (26) and Sheard (25) still have their best football ahead of them.

Stevie Johnson is an intriguing guy if SF lets him go.  Played for UK.  Not a guy who is going to command much money and could prove to be insurance if we lose one of Mo/Marvin.  Has a little fire in his belly, which I think is something the WR corp as a whole needs. 

Archived