FREE AGENT WATCH 2015: BACK TO THE FUTURE

I would sign jacoby jones as long as it was the right amount of money.. Like, a little over veteran minimum. But I would still draft a WR. They'll resogn Aj... And Either sanu or jones won't be resigned (probably sanu IMO), wright showed some flashes but other than that the cupboard is kind of bare. They'll need more than just one new WR.

And he's way better than Tate on returns. That alone is worth the salary I think

Why the hell do we need a new kickoff returner anyway?  Most of the kickoffs aren't even returned anymore...it's a waste of roster spot.

Not necessarily true, Jones (Jacoby) had 32 kickoff returns or 2 per game.

Texans trying to scrape a trade for Andre Johnson.

If they can't find one, they're rumored to be ready to just release him.

Cincinnati would be a great landing spot. He's due $10mil this year and $11mil next. He caught 85 balls for a team with, arguably, the worst QB situation in the league last year.

Andre Johnson's obviously not part of a long term plan, but I'd feel a helluva a lot better going into 2015 with him as the #2, than I would counting on Marvin Jones to "get back" to the form he's really only shown for about six weeks in his three year career.

Give the Texans a 4th and consider it $21mil well spent. That would solidify the receiving corps and still leave 4 picks in the first 100 to address other issues.

I dont get the interest in Jones so early. 

I don't get why people are making such a big deal about a guy who's being looked at as an upgrade over the last guy in the WR group.

pay Brandon Tate or Jacoby Jones? Jones > Tate, so what's the big deal?

Cincinnati would be a great landing spot. He's due $10mil this year and $11mil next. He caught 85 balls for a team with, arguably, the worst QB situation in the league last year.

Andre Johnson's obviously not part of a long term plan, but I'd feel a helluva a lot better going into 2015 with him as the #2, than I would counting on Marvin Jones to "get back" to the form he's really only shown for about six weeks in his three year career.

Give the Texans a 4th and consider it $21mil well spent. That would solidify the receiving corps and still leave 4 picks in the first 100 to address other issues.

I take it you don't agree with my thought to spend that money on a Justin Houston? I realize, there's pain in draft picks, but, tbh, any DE we would go after this year would be such a huge crap shoot (or maybe even in any year), that for the impact he could have I actually think he makes sense here.

I take it you don't agree with my thought to spend that money on a Justin Houston? I realize, there's pain in draft picks, but, tbh, any DE we would go after this year would be such a huge crap shoot (or maybe even in any year), that for the impact he could have I actually think he makes sense here.

Houston got franchise tagged didn't he?

The thing that worries me about a LB like Houston is that he would be a DE here. Probably successful, but it's still a bit of a different role- and thus, a bit of a gamble for the money.

Houston got franchise tagged didn't he?

The thing that worries me about a LB like Houston is that he would be a DE here. Probably successful, but it's still a bit of a different role- and thus, a bit of a gamble for the money.

He didn't get the exclusive tag.  In other words, a team can get him for two first rounders.   For us, that means 21 this year and ideally something even a little lower next year.

As for his transition, I've seen him do everything in KC, but he's definitely a devastating monster with his hand in the dirt playing from the edge - and is strong against he run as well as being a terrifying pass rusher. 

He's not 12-15 sack JPP or even Hardy.  He had 22 sacks in his third year and continues to rise.  He also doesn't have injury questions or off-the-field baggage. 

I think I may actually like the idea more than taking Hardy outright on an FA deal lol.

He didn't get the exclusive tag.  In other words, a team can get him for two first rounders.   For us, that means 21 this year and ideally something even a little lower next year.

As for his transition, I've seen him do everything in KC, but he's definitely a devastating monster with his hand in the dirt playing from the edge - and is strong against he run as well as being a terrifying pass rusher. 

He's not 12-15 sack JPP or even Hardy.  He had 22 sacks in his third year and continues to rise.  He also doesn't have injury questions or off-the-field baggage. 

I think I may actually like the idea more than taking Hardy outright on an FA deal lol.

Ah, good points.

I would be shocked, shocked I tell you! If the Bengals ever even gave up one high draft pick for a FA (rounds 1 or 2)... they seem to value draft selections more than they value oxygen.

And it would be just our luck that he blows out his knee in the preseason of his first year with us anyway. Thats the way it works for Cincinnati teams!

(would be awesome to have him though)

I agree with everything you've said, of course.  

But this is the first year where I actually find myself thinking that the previous strategy the last 5 or so years AP (After Palmer) - which I think has been brilliantly devised and executed - is worth subverting this year. 

Some people may think we have a closing window but I see it the other way.  Marvin and Andy are huge question marks but the rest of the team is basically plug and play after this year.  

Getting a super young up and comer like Houston to ride that wave just makes too much sense to me.  It'd also free us up in this draft, which is terribly weak at that spot, to go BPA in good conscience (well, I'd like to get at least one of LB or DT in FA as well).

TBH, I'm not in love with any of the options I realistically see there for us this year at 21, and so I'm already trying to trade out of the 1st this year in mind anyway...

I actually agree wholeheartedly. Howevah, the Bengals aren't going to part with two #1's AND give up a truckload of guaranteed money.

You are also absolutely correct about this draft. In my mind, the Bengals' greatest need is an edge rusher. This class is top heavy, but not deep. I don't see a Day 1 contributor making it to 21.

The two wideouts that have star power will be long gone, too. After that, you've got a big group to choose from. Is there really much difference between DeVante Parker at 21 or Nelson Agholor at 53?

That's why as the draft approaches, I'm starting to believe more and more that the Bengals go linebacker in the first round. And as far as traditional 4-3 types go, I think they'll have their pick of the litter - inside or out.

If they were to deal for Andre Johnson, that'd leave that edge rusher as the only glaring weakness. Derrick Morgan or Jabaal Sheard seem to be the most likely candidates as this point, with the pipe dream of Greg Hardy a remote possibility.

Justin Houston? Too rich for the Bengals' blood.

And, please, don't anyone misunderstand. I know there's very little chance of the Bengals making a play for Andre Johnson. However, I think it exponentially bigger than the chance of them going after Justin Houston.

I'm not sure he's big enough to play end in our defense. He looks like the prototype 3 4 rush linebacker. If I were the Steelers I'd be all over this guy.

I actually agree wholeheartedly. Howevah, the Bengals aren't going to part with two #1's AND give up a truckload of guaranteed money.
You are also absolutely correct about this draft. In my mind, the Bengals' greatest need is an edge rusher. This class is top heavy, but not deep. I don't see a Day 1 contributor making it to 21.
The two wideouts that have star power will be long gone, too. After that, you've got a big group to choose from. Is there really much difference between DeVante Parker at 21 or Nelson Agholor at 53?
That's why as the draft approaches, I'm starting to believe more and more that the Bengals go linebacker in the first round. And as far as traditional 4-3 types go, I think they'll have their pick of the litter - inside or out.
If they were to deal for Andre Johnson, that'd leave that edge rusher as the only glaring weakness. Derrick Morgan or Jabaal Sheard seem to be the most likely candidates as this point, with the pipe dream of Greg Hardy a remote possibility.
Justin Houston? Too rich for the Bengals' blood.
And, please, don't anyone misunderstand. I know there's very little chance of the Bengals making a play for Andre Johnson. However, I think it exponentially bigger than the chance of them going after Justin Houston.

I was with you until you said linebacker instead of OG. I don't think the value is there for a LB that late. They picked Zeitler in about the same place and that Collins kid can be a great guard right away that could transition to andre's spot within a couple of years when they draft or sign Whit's replacement. The key to everything offensively is being dominant in the run game and keeping Andy from being put in the situations that he is more likely to commit errors.

I was with you until you said linebacker instead of OG. I don't think the value is there for a LB that late. They picked Zeitler in about the same place and that Collins kid can be a great guard right away that could transition to andre's spot within a couple of years when they draft or sign Whit's replacement. The key to everything offensively is being dominant in the run game and keeping Andy from being put in the situations that he is more likely to commit errors.

And that's the problem I having with LB in one.  It's a value thing. All of these LB's are most likely day 2 guys.  It makes trading down obvious, but that's not always so easy to do.

All those LB's are also probably gone by 53 - at least the ones that we'd want.  There's a logic to saying that at your pick, any guy you want who you don't think will be there by your next pick is worth of that rounds selection.  But over time, this IS how you marginally reduce talent on your roster.  You reach for a need and pass on a player who fills less of a need but is better talent at their respective spot.

And yes, but drafting, say, La'el Collins, we get a plug and play guard who upgrades the spot, potentially develops to replace Whit/Dre, and saves us 4M/year over Boiling 

I agree with everything you've said, of course.  

But this is the first year where I actually find myself thinking that the previous strategy the last 5 or so years AP (After Palmer) - which I think has been brilliantly devised and executed - is worth subverting this year. 

Some people may think we have a closing window but I see it the other way.  Marvin and Andy are huge question marks but the rest of the team is basically plug and play after this year.  

Getting a super young up and comer like Houston to ride that wave just makes too much sense to me.  It'd also free us up in this draft, which is terribly weak at that spot, to go BPA in good conscience (well, I'd like to get at least one of LB or DT in FA as well).

TBH, I'm not in love with any of the options I realistically see there for us this year at 21, and so I'm already trying to trade out of the 1st this year in mind anyway...

I agree.

And I am also not in love with any options that are probably there at 21... this feels like more of a lackluster high-end draft than many years in the past. I just dont see any DE, DT, LB, WR being there at 21 that would make a huge difference. And G or T just doesnt excite me at all, although if Boling leaves I will be more on board with that.

This would also be a year I would be in favor of moving up a few spots if someone we need happens to slip. Not moving up enough to have to give up a second rounder, but jumping a few teams to get someone who could make an impact on our team (and although I think Dennard is going to be very, very good-  I am tired of them using first round picks or second round picks on players that are not inserted into the starting lineup as an upgrade right away and instead languish on the bench for years). I wish for an immediate starter and upgrade. If not- Either move up or move down.

I wish for an immediate starter and upgrade. If not- Either move up or move down.

Well, if that's what you want, then I think you need to start getting more comfortable with the T/G idea haha.  That's one of only two places where I see this draft giving us an "immediate starter" upgrade (LG).

The other thing you could start doing is hope that guys like Kendricks or McKinney really separate themselves as being worth a pick at 21.  I don't think Kendricks has the kind of size we like in LB's enough to take him there. There's something about McKinney that has said BENGALS to me since I first started watching him though.

A dream scenario would be LG/T in 1 and one of those guys falling to the second - or even a Paul Dawson falling somewhere.  Stephone Anthony and Kwon Alexander make me a little nervous at 2, but I could see that working too.

Pierre Paul tagged in New York

Demarius Thomas tagged in Denver thus Julius Thomas is probably going somewhere.

New Orleans still $22 million OVER salary cap,,,.must be under cap in 7 days.

Well, if that's what you want, then I think you need to start getting more comfortable with the T/G idea haha.  That's one of only two places where I see this draft giving us an "immediate starter" upgrade (LG).

The other thing you could start doing is hope that guys like Kendricks or McKinney really separate themselves as being worth a pick at 21.  I don't think Kendricks has the kind of size we like in LB's enough to take him there. There's something about McKinney that has said BENGALS to me since I first started watching him though.

A dream scenario would be LG/T in 1 and one of those guys falling to the second - or even a Paul Dawson falling somewhere.  Stephone Anthony and Kwon Alexander make me a little nervous at 2, but I could see that working too.

If we got a good DE and LB in FA, I would be totally fine with a T/G in the first, realistically. But how realistic is to hope for starting caliber FAs? ehhhh....

Yeah, Oline is really the only immediate starter I can see at 21, unless someone surprising slips. But if our FA is typical c level FAs, and our first round pick is a T/G, this team will have less talent than it did last year. Hopefully the decide not to continue going backwards in the talent department, as they have been for the last season or two (part of that lack of on field talent is that two 1st rounders, a 3rd rounder and a 2nd rounder werent good enough to win starting spots- or the coaches are fucking morons- and another 1st rounder has been injured for the better part of two years).

This team needs much more talent than mediocre FAs and a draft will bring- but I still think 2 impact FAs and some spot fillers, plus the draft could very well put this team over the edge to truly be competitive. The river is wide but isnt deep- we need a few big guys to help hold the team up.

Trent Cole released.  Has played 4-3 DE.  Is local and could probably be had for cheap as a speed rusher in the rotation.  Andre Johnson would be a great get.  I think he brings the physicality the WR corp lacks.  Not sure the numbers will match up though with Mo/Marvin/AJ coming up next year.

Archived