Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, Geno Atkins, Margus Hunt, the LBs, Shawn Williams. This list could go on forever. 

Easier question might be who has nothing to prove?

Or to put it another way, imagine if you could trade any and all of the starters for a 2nd-round pick. Who stays?

If the D line sucks the linebackers are going to get clobbered by free offensive linemen.  If the secondary sucks the D line won't get pressure because the QB can just checkdown.

It's a team sport and you're only going to be as good as your worst player on the field.  Expecting your best player to carry the other 10 guys is a recipe for losing a lot of games.

Everything goes downhill in a hurry if the front 4 can't even bother the QB like the Colts playoff game. They have to at least make the QB hurry, move around in the pocket and throw some away. Allowing the QB to eat some cheese, drink some wine and catch some rays won't work.

I have to say Geno. Even though he was coming off of injury last year, his play didn't match his contract.

Last year that was excusable. A similar performance this year would be reason to cut him.

Geno is probably the biggest key to the defense.  If he can be 90% of what he was this D will be very good.  If not, this year will look a lot like last year.  It would be a tough pill to swallow if we even had to think about cutting Geno.

I haven't mustered up enough strength to watch the game again.  

I didn't muster up the strength to watch it the first time. My son had a basketball game, so I DVR'd it and never watched it.

Vontaze Burfict's brain.

If there was a silver lining in his knee injury it was the forced rest that it gave his wiggling bowl of jello upstairs.  Watching him get concussed with little dings to the helmet had me fretting over his future before the knee injury.

Vontaze Burfict's brain.

If there was a silver lining in his knee injury it was the forced rest that it gave his wiggling bowl of jello upstairs.  Watching him get concussed with little dings to the helmet had me fretting over his future before the knee injury.

I think they said most of that happened b/c he wasn't wearing a mouthpiece.  Let's hope that's over.

I think they said most of that happened b/c he wasn't wearing a mouthpiece.  Let's hope that's over.

I fail to see how a mouthpiece would prevent a glancing blow to the back of his head from being a concussion, but maybe that's just me.

it wont matter if we have no linebackers again..

if there is no threat and no coverage from the linebackers it doesnt matter how good your linemen are..

Right because 5 or 6 guys can double-team all 4 D-linemen if they don't have to worry about LBs.

Oh, wait...  :)

We almost never blitz our LBs anyway.

I agree they need to cover better though.

I fail to see how a mouthpiece would prevent a glancing blow to the back of his head from being a concussion, but maybe that's just me.

Nothing glancing about the head first blow delivered to Flacco's groin and that's where the trouble started IMHO.

A mouthguard might have helped on that play.

Nothing glancing about the head first blow delivered to Flacco's groin and that's where the trouble started IMHO.

A mouthguard might have helped on that play.

Yeah, I can see how a head first blow to Flacco's groin might require a mouthguard.

Yeah, I can see how a head first blow to Flacco's groin might require a mouthguard.

Groucho said never go for the easy joke.

People will laugh, sure, but they'll lose respect for you later.

That said, Burfict took the worst of that hit and everything that came after that shot, well....it came after.

Three eggs got scrambled on that play.

Groucho said never go for the easy joke.

People will laugh, sure, but they'll lose respect for you later.

That said, Burfict took the worst of that hit and everything that came after that shot, well....it came after.

Three eggs got scrambled on that play.

And here I thought it was your joke.

Rey Maualuga.

The Bengals have a host of young linebackers. If Rey's season is not above average, for a normal MIKE not by Maualuga standards, he might well be shuffled out the door.

Yeah I think the bar should be higher than our Mike didn't totally suck this year.

I would say Margus Hunt, Tyler Eifert, Marvin Jones, and Geno Atkins all have something to prove.

Agree with all of these......and I would add that Leon Hall needs to prove that 2014 was an abnormality. Especially since he will be on the books for top 10 CB money this year.

Outside of Dalton everyone has proven themseleves.

This is by far the best Bengals team I have ever seen. The only thing about this team is that their  weakest link is at QB. `

Proven themselves when?

Because if we're talking about when the lights are on (playoffs?), we can go down a long list of players on this team that regularly shit the bed:

DLine: 1 sacks

OLine: 3 sacks

AJ Green: Absent

LB's: Sieve

Run D: abhorrent. 

As long as we keep believing our own press about most talented roster yada yada yada, I guess Dalton will continue to be the easy whipping boy. But the failure of this team to perform when the lights are on is historically long and well documented.  You can lay the blame at the coaches that fail to have their team ready or the wide variety of team members who shit their pants when they are most called to step up, but either way you can't use that Dalton is the one piece holding this team back binary thinking and expect anyone but other simple-minded folk to swallow it.

I wish Dalton were the only problem. It'd make it a much easier one to fix.

Proven themselves when?

Because if we're talking about when the lights are on (playoffs?), we can go down a long list of players on this team that regularly shit the bed:

DLine: 1 sacks

OLine: 3 sacks

AJ Green: Absent

LB's: Sieve

Run D: abhorrent. 

As long as we keep believing our own press about most talented roster yada yada yada, I guess Dalton will continue to be the easy whipping boy. But the failure of this team to perform when the lights are on is historically long and well documented.  You can lay the blame at the coaches that fail to have their team ready or the wide variety of team members who shit their pants when they are most called to step up, but either way you can't use that Dalton is the one piece holding this team back binary thinking and expect anyone but other simple-minded folk to swallow it.

I wish Dalton were the only problem. It'd make it a much easier one to fix.

I agree not many have stepped up, but ultimately we've been in games and the offense just hasn't been able to move the ball or score when they needed to.  

2011 vs. Texans, we lost 31-10, but we were in that game.  This was the JJ Watt pick-six game.  So the defense gave up 24 points in a game where we had 3 turnovers. It was 17-10 late into the 3rd quarter.

2012 vs. Texans, we lost 19-13.  The offense scored 6 points.  Leon had a pick-six for us.  

2013 vs. SD, we lost 27-10.  We had the lead a half-time and came out with 3 straight turnovers.  Plus the Gio fumble at the end of the first half which took 4 points off of the board.

2014 -- I really can't blame the offense here, Sexy Rexy was our #2 receiver...we had no chance in this game.

The bottom line is as bad as the defense has been in the playoffs, the offense has been that much worse and the entire offense has something to prove.  We could have won the first 3 playoff games if the offense wasn't so putrid.  I'm not sure what we expect the defense to do when the offense can't stay on the field.

Archived