Tonight's Refs

First off, Burfict and Jones did indeed lose their minds on the last play.  I think the players' problem with Jones' 15 is that good 'ol Joey Porter came in and seemed to push someone from behind... so Jones went after him and bumped the ref in the back.  I believe the players were hoping for offsetting PF's, but of course what can you do, Jones was the second guy in and you simply *cannot* do that.  I mean, the refs allowed Pittsburgh to dirty, prod, taunt, and take Burfict down after the play all game, so what do you think is going to happen, you want to start counting on them making calls?

Now, to speak directly about the refs - they were terrible in this game, absolutely, positively, terrible.  Two guys have serious concussions because they refused to control the game properly when Pittsburgh was head hunting and at the same time dirtying Burfict all game to get him to lose his mind.  Well, it worked, and now Pittsburgh probably doesn't have Brown for the next game and maybe longer.

I wondered how the league would go about leaning the game in Pittsburgh's favour, and apparently it was to put the whistles away on the run game of PIttsburgh (Michael Johnson was amazing in this game, too bad nobody will know it because he was being held like a bitch), and to allow them to dirty people.  Nice job NFL, I hope the players who got hurt sue you into oblivion.  The sad thing is that despite all that, the Bengals should have won this game *easily*.  The defense came to play today and aside from two big plays they were pretty much lights-out.  Unfortunately the first half game plan for the offense was garbage at best.  Once again Marvin squeezes the O-line to do something they're not suited to, and that's straight-up smash-mouth running up the gut.  Hue has no clue and does nothing to help McCarron until the second half when the turning point came - the refs didn't call the head hunting play against Shazier and apparently realized they better start making a few.  Wow, suddenly there's a smorgasbord of penalties to choose from?  Yeah, that's because Pittsburgh just kept playing the same game. 

Anyway, I'm still not that fussed about the loss, I'm most pissed off that the media is going to have an absolute field day pillorying Burfict, Jones and the Bengals in general for months and months to come.  Did they earn it?  Yeah, but that's no consolation.

First off, Burfict and Jones did indeed lose their minds on the last play.  I think the players' problem with Jones' 15 is that good 'ol Joey Porter came in and seemed to push someone from behind... so Jones went after him and bumped the ref in the back.  I believe the players were hoping for offsetting PF's, but of course what can you do, Jones was the second guy in and you simply *cannot* do that.  I mean, the refs allowed Pittsburgh to dirty, prod, taunt, and take Burfict down after the play all game, so what do you think is going to happen, you want to start counting on them making calls?

Now, to speak directly about the refs - they were terrible in this game, absolutely, positively, terrible.  Two guys have serious concussions because they refused to control the game properly when Pittsburgh was head hunting and at the same time dirtying Burfict all game to get him to lose his mind.  Well, it worked, and now Pittsburgh probably doesn't have Brown for the next game and maybe longer.

I wondered how the league would go about leaning the game in Pittsburgh's favour, and apparently it was to put the whistles away on the run game of PIttsburgh (Michael Johnson was amazing in this game, too bad nobody will know it because he was being held like a bitch), and to allow them to dirty people.  Nice job NFL, I hope the players who got hurt sue you into oblivion.  The sad thing is that despite all that, the Bengals should have won this game *easily*.  The defense came to play today and aside from two big plays they were pretty much lights-out.  Unfortunately the first half game plan for the offense was garbage at best.  Once again Marvin squeezes the O-line to do something they're not suited to, and that's straight-up smash-mouth running up the gut.  Hue has no clue and does nothing to help McCarron until the second half when the turning point came - the refs didn't call the head hunting play against Shazier and apparently realized they better start making a few.  Wow, suddenly there's a smorgasbord of penalties to choose from?  Yeah, that's because Pittsburgh just kept playing the same game. 

Anyway, I'm still not that fussed about the loss, I'm most pissed off that the media is going to have an absolute field day pillorying Burfict, Jones and the Bengals in general for months and months to come.  Did they earn it?  Yeah, but that's no consolation.

If your more pissed at the media than how we lost this game, I'm not entirely sure what you watch for. This is one of the worst defeats in the history of sports. If you're not fussed about it and instead choose to focus on how the media will portray it, you need help. 

Thank you, you just summed up every rambling thought in my rage filled head with this post. Standing applause.

Spot fucking on.

If your more pissed at the media than how we lost this game, I'm not entirely sure what you watch for. This is one of the worst defeats in the history of sports. If you're not fussed about it and instead choose to focus on how the media will portray it, you need help. 

I'm not sure how long you've been watching this team, but for me it's been 28 years.  I'm past being pissed about losses and bad game plans that I expected - this really isn't that different from the previous four years of wild card losses - they should have beat the Chargers easily, they had a good chance at the end against Houston the second time and yet they always find a way to lose.

There's only one thing besides a championship that would make me happy, and that's the Bengals getting respect from the media and the NFL.  Hell, even if we didn't manage to win the SB I'd be happy with them being competitive and getting the proper recognition for it every year.  For once this season I felt like they earned it.  The Bengals were a true "winner" team, we were in every game and we were good to great in every phase.  Yet the NFL just continues to harp on every negative they can find about the Bengals, and now it's been reinforced a hundredfold by the way this game went, and it went that way because it's how the NFL WANTED IT TO HAPPEN.  That bothers me.

Merrill Hoge just called the bengals stupid.

They were in many, many ways in this game.

It's been gone over ad nauseum in other threads, but to sum up:

- Terrible offensive game plan to start the game.

- Losing control of players when things started to go off the rails

- Not making protecting the ball priority one with 1:50 left and within field goal range.

That's probably enough to consider it a case of "stupidity losing the game", so yeah, they're stupid.

I'm not sure how long you've been watching this team, but for me it's been 28 years.  I'm past being pissed about losses and bad game plans that I expected - this really isn't that different from the previous four years of wild card losses - they should have beat the Chargers easily, they had a good chance at the end against Houston the second time and yet they always find a way to lose.

There's only one thing besides a championship that would make me happy, and that's the Bengals getting respect from the media and the NFL.  Hell, even if we didn't manage to win the SB I'd be happy with them being competitive and getting the proper recognition for it every year.  For once this season I felt like they earned it.  The Bengals were a true "winner" team, we were in every game and we were good to great in every phase.  Yet the NFL just continues to harp on every negative they can find about the Bengals, and now it's been reinforced a hundredfold by the way this game went, and it went that way because it's how the NFL WANTED IT TO HAPPEN.  That bothers me.

THEY HAD THIS GAME WON! All that selfish clown had to do was keep hold of the ball. Maybe he was concentrating on his next dumb touchdown dance after he scores from one yard out. 

You and I are different that way. I could care less what the media thinks about the Bengals. I just want them to win. I know that will never happen under this coach and tonight was his f'ing opus. 

We've been asking our players to stand up for themselves when the Squealers play dirty, and though we lost, I'm glad we did.  Burfict finally decided that if they are going to be able to knock our players out with impunity, he was at least going to knock some of their guys out.  GOOD FUCKING JOB!

blaming the refs ummmm no no no blame the braindead players and coach we lost the game its just dumb  foolish  seconds to play blaming  refs  no blame players for stupidity  just leave it we win neverseen  a more braindead play ever and the coach well  we lost it not refs

I'm with the Superstar here.  I don't give a shit about what Jim Nantz or Phil Simms think.  The Bengals had 3 grotesque individual mistakes that cost them the game.  All three were mistakes these three guys make over and over again.  I do feel a bit sorry for Hill.  It's not like he wants to fumble.  Just the same, I don't think you can bring him back next season.  If Burfict and Jones wanted to win football games more than they wanted to protect their reputation none of this shit would happen.  They are losers from way back.  No one else wanted either of them and tonight we got a glimpse of why.  They need to go along with the ringleader that can't control his football team.  

We've been asking our players to stand up for themselves when the Squealers play dirty, and though we lost, I'm glad we did.  Burfict finally decided that if they are going to be able to knock our players out with impunity, he was at least going to knock some of their guys out.  GOOD FUCKING JOB!

They probably think the same thing and that is why they lose.

You are a fucking moron.

THEY HAD THIS GAME WON! All that selfish clown had to do was keep hold of the ball. Maybe he was concentrating on his next dumb touchdown dance after he scores from one yard out. 

You and I are different that way. I could care less what the media thinks about the Bengals. I just want them to win. I know that will never happen under this coach and tonight was his f'ing opus. 

To me, yearning for a win when your team is looked down upon by the league that employs it is fallacy.  The Bengals win in spite of their reputation, in spite of how the league treats them, and in spite of how their games are officiated.  Thus, winning the Super Bowl and/or somehow managing to change the way they're viewed by the league and the media are the only things that would make this team "different" than it has been for the past 20+ years.  I did enjoy this season quite a bit because they were finally a top competitor, but it failed to change the media's and the league's view of them.  Did you know that several media outlets' power rankings had the Bengals at or near the bottom of the teams who made the playoffs?  The only reason they weren't lower is because they actually *made* the playoffs.  Why even watch a league that is like this?  The NFL is perilously close to being in NBA territory where money has become so important that games are mostly empty constructs pointed toward the most profitable outcome; thus, it's not worth your time or mine to give two shits about wins or losses until they actually *change* something about the Bengals.  Watch to witness great individual skill and elegant game planning, but don't put too much stock in the outcome, because you're likely to be disappointed.

Archived