Tonight's Refs

To me, yearning for a win when your team is looked down upon by the league that employs it is fallacy.  The Bengals win in spite of their reputation, in spite of how the league treats them, and in spite of how their games are officiated.  Thus, winning the Super Bowl and/or somehow managing to change the way they're viewed by the league and the media are the only things that would make this team "different" than it has been for the past 20+ years.  I did enjoy this season quite a bit because they were finally a top competitor, but it failed to change the media's and the league's view of them.  Did you know that several media outlets' power rankings had the Bengals at or near the bottom of the teams who made the playoffs?  The only reason they weren't lower is because they actually *made* the playoffs.  Why even watch a league that is like this?  The NFL is perilously close to being in NBA territory where money has become so important that games are mostly empty constructs pointed toward the most profitable outcome; thus, it's not worth your time or mine to give two shits about wins or losses until they actually *change* something about the Bengals.  Watch to witness great individual skill and elegant game planning, but don't put too much stock in the outcome, because you're likely to be disappointed.

The Bengals are looked down upon by the media. If the bengals would have won tonight, I would have been ecstatic. I guess you wouldn't have. To each their own version of fandom, regardless of how strange it may be. 

The Bengals are looked down upon by the media. If the bengals would have won tonight, I would have been ecstatic. I guess you wouldn't have. To each their own version of fandom, regardless of how strange it may be. 

I would have been ecstatic as well.  Maybe the media have changed their tune had they won?  Maybe they're one step closer to the Super Bowl?  Oh right, but they didn't win.  Oh, and the league and the media's disdain for the Bengals will be reinforced to an immense degree because of how the game unfolded. 

Why keep pointing out hypotheticals that didn't happen to support your point?

I expected the loss, so I'm not upset about it - you should probably get over that.  Everything that happened tonight has happened to the Bengals before, and will probably happen again.  A win would be amazing, but for me that's only because it would have provided an opportunity for real change for the Bengals, and it didn't happen.  If the Bengals had lost without the horrible officiating and without the pathetic way it ended, I wouldn't be upset about *anything* - I'd have just looked to next year with the hope they're competitive again, and the league and media would maintain status quo when it comes to the Bengals.  Now I get to wade through loads of asinine drivel just to get the smallest tidbit of Bengals news.  I mean, I could just watch the games on mute and ignore everything else, but once I reach that level I think it's time to quit on the NFL altogether (which may well happen one of these years).

Im no none to complain about refs but there is a clear rule against Joey Porter being on the field and Adam got called for it? An apology for getting that wrong isnt good enough

That was the 2nd penalty that was instigated by a stealer coach. Reggie Nelson reacting after a coach yanked on his dreads. Why should they let the players have all of the fun with dirty shit?

But the worst was the no call on the Bernard hit. That was a head hunt plain and simple. 

Im no none to complain about refs but there is a clear rule against Joey Porter being on the field and Adam got called for it? An apology for getting that wrong isnt good enough

He's gonna get fined apparently - all better now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The morning after...

And I swear, carved in stone this is how I feel and the way I say it... At the game you could not tell what was going on in a lot of the chaos on the field (both the refs and Marvin lost control early on) or even hear the refs calls for the noise but...

From the very beginning of the game, when the refs were calling ticky tack bullshit false start penalties one after another on guys like Whit and the Squeels were allowed to get away with helmet to helmet and head hunting crap I thought the Powers That Be in the NFL want the Squeels to win for the Cinderella come from behind, injury filled season and they will be in and probably win the Super Bowl.

So much was NOT called on them and even phenomenally blown calls (Squeel down after a fumble recovery, gets up, runs into the end zone for a touchdown and it has to be REVIEWED!  wtf?).

The game was so piss poorly called and one sided that it went beyond inept refs.

Total bullshit.

Three of their coaches put their hands on our players or were in the middle of the field on plays when they clearly shouldn't have been and Marvin Lewis is being called out for not having control of his team because of a late quick reaction hit to the helmet and a player screaming at their coach who is talking smack in the middle of the field. 

That was the 2nd penalty that was instigated by a stealer coach. Reggie Nelson reacting after a coach yanked on his dreads. Why should they let the players have all of the fun with dirty shit?

But the worst was the no call on the Bernard hit. That was a head hunt plain and simple. 

I agree about the Bernard hit.  Using the head as a weapon.  Should have been flagged.  I really don't have a problem with the rest of it.  Maybe when DeCastro kept pummeling Burfict near the goal line.  The Bengals got calls too.  The hair pull would have been easy to miss.  When they yanked Bernard's helmet that was a good call.  One that gets let go often.  

The refs didn't beat the Bengals.  The Bengals beat the Bengals.  This is about personal responsibility and self control.  Yes, Joey Porter shouldn't have been on the field.  That doesn't excuse Adam Jones losing his mind and bumping a ref.  That gets a flag 100% of the time.  Shut up and walk away.  Burfict's hit is inexcusable.  I don't care what was said or done to you the entire game, the last game, online or wherever.  Control yourself.  That is everyone's #1 responsibility.  Every damned player on the field is in charge of himself.  53 Bengals are miserable because 2 can't control themselves and 1 can't hold the football.  Sad.

Every game results in that kind of picture. Seriously, do a Google image search of Bengals steeelrs and they're basically ALL cheap shots to the head or knee of our guys

when the Squealers do it, it's "Stillers Footbaww."  It's only Dirty and laughable when we do it.

I really don't give a shit what you think.  You're a whiner.

I agree with you a lot of the time.. but it gets old when you do the name calling thing..

I picture you as Donald Trump when i read your posts calling people names.. that at least makes laugh..

I agree with you a lot of the time.. but it gets old when you do the name calling thing..

I picture you as Donald Trump when i read your posts calling people names.. that at least makes laugh..

Call ''em, like I see them.  I can't think of one post of his that he hasn't been whining.

It's hard to believe the NFL innocently assigned the same referee to last night's game that clearly lost control of a game on the same field between the same 2 teams just 4 weeks ago. The rest of the crew wasn't the same but the league obviously wanted to give Parry a do over. Terrible idea. He was out of his depth and the refs were just bad. The wrong call on the Williams penalty vs Wheaton made the 39 yard FG possible. Stealers probably wouldn't have even attempted a 50 yarder in the rain. So that's 3 points right there. 

Next was the botched replay on Bryant's TD. It was a great athletic play by Bryant to hold on to the ball but he clearly didn't have the ball secured until after his feet were down in the end zone. The rule is the player has to establish control of the ball then get 2 feet down in bounds. The ball was obviously rolling along his butt/leg which is why he had to reach through his legs to keep it from hitting the ground. Stealers would have kicked a figgie there with a correct call but it's another 3 points they gained.

Next, by not calling Shazier for a blatant job of spearing that 60K people not wearing black and white saw, they took at least 3 points away from the Bengals. It would have been a first down inside the Steeler 15 yard line if the correct and not at all hard to see call had been made.

There could have been a lot more offensive holding calls in the Stealers O-line and the Bengals DBs got away with a fair amount of grabbing. But those are judgment calls. Joey Porter in the middle of the field trying to start a fight isn't something the refs can or should ignore. But they did and even gave Jones a flag for complaining about it. 

The Bengals made quite a few mistakes but so did the Stealers. The refs decided the outcome. 

It's hard to believe the NFL innocently assigned the same referee to last night's game that clearly lost control of a game on the same field between the same 2 teams just 4 weeks ago. The rest of the crew wasn't the same but the league obviously wanted to give Parry a do over. Terrible idea. He was out of his depth and the refs were just bad. The wrong call on the Williams penalty vs Wheaton made the 39 yard FG possible. Stealers probably wouldn't have even attempted a 50 yarder in the rain. So that's 3 points right there. 

Next was the botched replay on Bryant's TD. It was a great athletic play by Bryant to hold on to the ball but he clearly didn't have the ball secured until after his feet were down in the end zone. The rule is the player has to establish control of the ball then get 2 feet down in bounds. The ball was obviously rolling along his butt/leg which is why he had to reach through his legs to keep it from hitting the ground. Stealers would have kicked a figgie there with a correct call but it's another 3 points they gained.

Next, by not calling Shazier for a blatant job of spearing that 60K people not wearing black and white saw, they took at least 3 points away from the Bengals. It would have been a first down inside the Steeler 15 yard line if the correct and not at all hard to see call had been made.

There could have been a lot more offensive holding calls in the Stealers O-line and the Bengals DBs got away with a fair amount of grabbing. But those are judgment calls. Joey Porter in the middle of the field trying to start a fight isn't something the refs can or should ignore. But they did and even gave Jones a flag for complaining about it. 

The Bengals made quite a few mistakes but so did the Stealers. The refs decided the outcome. 

No doubt

Archived