Coaching Staff Changes

35 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Your logic doesn't even follow with your own sentences.

1. We are not.....

2. We are because we let it happen.....

There is a huge difference between allowing short completions and being "consistently killed".  We do allow short completions but we are not "consistently killed".  So there is no problem with my logic at all.

According to Footballoutsiders.com here are the Bengals' pass defense rankings against RBs and TEs

....v. TE..... v.RB

'12...12th......10th

'13... 9th......23rd

'14... 4th......29th

'15...12th.....24th

'16...17th.....14th

As you can see in the years that many fans scream about us getting "destroyed" by TEs we actually were in the top half of the league and average close to top 10.  We are a worse with RBs, but since RBs account for the least passing yardage we are able to have top pass defenses despite giving up short passes to RBs.

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

A kid is dead because of his negligence. HArd pass. 

You talking about the kid that dies when the lift he was in fell over after someone on Kelly's staff failed to inform him to get down due to the increasing winds? C'mon man, that was an accident. It's not like he drove drunk and ran over a baby stroller.

46 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

You talking about the kid that dies when the lift he was in fell over after someone on Kelly's staff failed to inform him to get down due to the increasing winds? C'mon man, that was an accident. It's not like he drove drunk and ran over a baby stroller.

Hard Pass

https://deadspin.com/5675694/prelude-to-a-tragedy-how-a-notre-dame-student-died-and-why-he-shouldnt-have

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I want Pete Carmichael or Frank Reich

But I'm going to say a name that makes me vomit in my mouth a little....but it's hard to argue against his success......never thought I would say this but I'd consider Bill Cowher

<vomit>

Cowturd would demand a significant paycheck wherever he goes.  My former neighbors at the stadium referred to Cowher as a very nice person to be around and is a frequent visitor.   I never asked why he comes to town frequently.  Bengals fans may hate him but the organization likes having him around. 

I frankly could not believe that this team could be so stupid. They are in the bottom of attendance already and rolling out the same coach with the same game plan isn't going to improve that. Attendance is going to be dismal. 

The way they did this is just unbelievably terrible. They got the fan based all excited that they were going to fire a coach. Fan bases get dumb about this stuff and have group think at times. (I don't think this is one of them.)So the other smart teams had these conversations way early to avoid this. They told the fan base the coach was coming back. 

You have to believe that they wanted either Gruden, Jackson or Joseph and are so terrible about thinking outside of their tiny box that they were left shocked when none were available and they didn't have a known commodity to turn to. 

This feels like we are some kids who practice a different religion than Christianity and when every one is opening presents we get to just sit back. "Why does everyone else get xmas but we don't dad?" 

This is truly a lose lose situation for us that Brown and Marvin has put us in. Either we get Marvin back and terribly game management and snooze worthy coaching or we get a new guy but none of the changes that Marvin wants (that lets face it we all want) come to fruition. 

I expected them to mess up the hiring but this is nuts. We don't have to keep thanking this guy for getting us to the playoffs. I hate that a meaningless two wins takes us ruins 2018 for us. The fans are going to hate him so much next year. The resentment that the fans have for Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis will be as high as I can imagine for a sports franchise. 

Bears John DeFelipo, Pat Shurmur, Josh McDaniels
Bengals  
Colts Kris Richard, Josh McDaniels, Matt Nagy, Steve Wilks, Mike Vrabel
Giants Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, Eric Studesville, Steve Wilks
Lions Matt Patricia, Mike Vrabel, Pat Shurmur, Winston Moss, Teryl Austin, Steve Wilks
Raiders JOHN GRUDEN
Cardinals Pat Shurmur, Matt Patricia, Brian Flores, Mike Munchack, John DeFelipo

29 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Bears John DeFelipo, Pat Shurmur, Josh McDaniels
Bengals  
Colts Kris Richard, Josh McDaniels, Matt Nagy, Steve Wilks, Mike Vrabel
Giants Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, Eric Studesville, Steve Wilks
Lions Matt Patricia, Mike Vrabel, Pat Shurmur, Winston Moss, Teryl Austin, Steve Wilks
Raiders JOHN GRUDEN
Cardinals Pat Shurmur, Matt Patricia, Brian Flores, Mike Munchack, John DeFelipo

What’s that pulled from?

I am almost 42 years old and I have been a fan of this team for literally as long as I can remember... and I know how Mike Brown operates (like it is still the 70s).  That said, I honestly cannot believe the situation right now.  That press conference, the level of stupidity and lack of any aggressive thinking... I honestly wish I could change what team I support.  I wish I could just gently punch Mike Brown in the nuts.

14 minutes ago, rcarpenter62 said:

I am almost 42 years old and I have been a fan of this team for literally as long as I can remember... and I know how Mike Brown operates (like it is still the 70s).  That said, I honestly cannot believe the situation right now.

I have been a fan since before you were born.  I also know exactly how Mike Brown works.  And even I am surprised that they are considering bringing Marvin back.

29 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The complication being the Bengals want all of those expensive coaches signed before we decide to get into the pool.

There are more than enough talented coaches available for us to get someone a few days later. It doesn't mean we didn't bungle this entire thing. All signs point to Marvin again. 

I'm not trying to sound obnoxious, but this premise is: Marvin is not going anywhere and was never going anywhere. These idiot reporters that are saying that ML is gone and possibly Andy with him don't know the Bengals and have never bothered to know them. The only way ML is not here next year is if he resigns and it looks like he has no intention of doing so. I hope that I'm finally wrong about this, but there have been worse seasons to fire him over and he's still here. I almost puke every time I hear an announcer say that Marvin is second in longevity to a coach that has won five Super Bowls. But unfortunately, why would Mikey fire him now?

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I don't get this. That's literally a list of people interviewing. Why would I make it up? What a weird response. 

Yeah, Michael, maybe. But not ALL of them are interviewing for THE BENGALS. And that's if ANYONE even is if MArvin comes back.

11 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I'm not trying to sound obnoxious, but this premise is: Marvin is not going anywhere and was never going anywhere. These idiot reporters that are saying that ML is gone and possibly Andy with him don't know the Bengals and have never bothered to know them. The only way ML is not here next year is if he resigns and it looks like he has no intention of doing so. I hope that I'm finally wrong about this, but there have been worse seasons to fire him over and he's still here. I almost puke every time I hear an announcer say that Marvin is second in longevity to a coach that has won five Super Bowls. But unfortunately, why would Mikey fire him now?

Except the "idiot reporter" that broke this story was Adam Shefter, who's a highly regarded NFL journalist that has a lot of inside sources, so that (in my faint glimmer of hope)leads me to believe that someone leaked the story to Adam without MArvin's say-so (and the story broke right before the MIN game, and I am certain that all the Bengals players saw it on social media before the game started), thereby leading to this obfuscation as to the "is he going to stay, is he going to go" nonsense. 

At least, that's what I hope it is.

As to your last question, remember that Mike wouldn't really be "firing" Marvin, he just wouldn't renew his contract since Marvin currently doesn't have one. I hope Katie is heavily involved in this process and that she's got her ear to the ground listening to the outcry from the fans, and an eye towards her grandpa's ever-increasingly emptying stadium. Remember also, the Browns aren't oil billionaires like Jerry Jones. Their only source of income for the family is team-related.

12 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Except the "idiot reporter" that broke this story was Adam Shefter, who's a highly regarded NFL journalist that has a lot of inside sources, so that (in my faint glimmer of hope)leads me to believe that someone leaked the story to Adam without MArvin's say-so (and the story broke right before the MIN game, and I am certain that all the Bengals players saw it on social media before the game started), thereby leading to this obfuscation as to the "is he going to stay, is he going to go" nonsense. 

At least, that's what I hope it is.

As to your last question, remember that Mike wouldn't really be "firing" Marvin, he just wouldn't renew his contract since Marvin currently doesn't have one. I hope Katie is heavily involved in this process and that she's got her ear to the ground listening to the outcry from the fans, and an eye towards her grandpa's ever-increasingly emptying stadium. Remember also, the Browns aren't oil billionaires like Jerry Jones. Their only source of income for the family is team-related.

OK,  firing, not renewing, semantics. His last new contract came off of a 4 win season with every opportunity for MB to cut ties. So unless, as you alluded to, Katie or somebody butts in, Marvin is here to stay.

As far as Schefter, he's chased plenty of dead leads. 

2 minutes ago, Hooky said:

OK,  firing, not renewing, semantics. His last new contract came off of a 4 win season with every opportunity for MB to cut ties. So unless, as you alluded to, Katie or somebody butts in, Marvin is here to stay.

Oh, I'm with you man. Any other franchise not named the Cleveland Browns would have fired him long ago. And even they might have.

Archived