Bengals Dot Com Draft Composit

On 3/21/2018 at 9:30 AM, bengaled said:

I agree. We don't need a guy who they project can play center. We need a center...one who has proven he can man that position and do it well.

No one in the draft has proven they can play at the NFL level, just please draft someone healthy FFS.  Enough with Father Brown's Convalescent Home for Wayward Youth.

Hobspin's latest.....

21. BENGALS - DT Da’ Ron Payne, Alabama

With McGlinchey off the board, they could always take a look at Texas’ Connor Williams. But there’s that projection to guard. It’s not going to take their eyes very long to get to the best player on the board when it comes to the premium of position and talent.

There are going to be calls for a center here, but why? They’ve got two veterans they can line up back home in Trey Hopkins and T.J. Johnson and this is a draft deep with centers. With this pick you have to find a match with talent and value of position and here is the 6-5, 320-pound Payne. He’s experienced (35 games in three seasons) and monstrously strong with a famous 545-pound bench press and 635-pound squat followed up by jacking up 225 pounds 27 times at the combine and a rather rapid 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds.

You’re still looking for first-round talent here and he’s got it. The only knock on him is he’s not a pass rusher. No problem. They’ve got Ryan Glasgow and Michael Johnson they can team in there with Pro Bowl pass rusher Geno Atkins on third down. Payne is that kind of unique player that makes sure you get to third down. Get the card in and that’s the first D-lineman they’ve taken in the first round since Missouri defensive end Justin Smith went No. 4 in 2001 and he would be the first D-tackle to go in the first round since Ohio State’s Dan Wilkinson went No. 1 overall in the 1994 draft.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Media-Mock-Draft-deals-to-21/58dd0d26-7ada-44b2-9475-a9fc78626338?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

http://local12.com/sports/bengals/bengals-2018-mock-draft-170-sample-of-1st-round-picks-at-21-when-to-take-a-center

11 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

http://local12.com/sports/bengals/bengals-2018-mock-draft-170-sample-of-1st-round-picks-at-21-when-to-take-a-center

I'd be ok with Evans, McG, Smith, Davenport or Price.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:25 PM, T-Dub said:

No one in the draft has proven they can play at the NFL level, just please draft someone healthy FFS.  Enough with Father Brown's Convalescent Home for Wayward Youth.

Duh, well that was enlightening! Despite that generic response, I think it's appropriate to point out this, despite me seeing it as a given. There's quite a difference between a guy who has proven he can perform at a high level at a major college level and dominate his opponents consistently, and someone who has performed well at another OL position, and one who draft prognosticators ASSUME can play center at a high level. I hope you can recognize the difference?

Albert Breer ....

21. Cincinnati (from Buffalo): Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College 
The Bengals already came away with their left tackle (Cordy Glenn) in dealing down 12 spots, which gives Cincinnati flexibility to add a piece elsewhere. And getting a solid pass rusher here is great value.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/21/mock-draft-sam-darnold-browns-bills-trade-giants-josh-allen-broncos-trade-browns-baker-mayfield?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

On 3/23/2018 at 2:51 PM, oldschooler said:

There are going to be calls for a center here, but why? They’ve got two veterans they can line up back home in Trey Hopkins and T.J. Johnson and this is a draft deep with centers. 

I'll sound like a broken record to anybody that actually reads my posts, but what is the assessment of Westerman(sp)? I thought he would possibly eventually start, maybe even at center. 

PICK

CIN.png

Isaiah Wynn - OG/OT, Georgia

Versatile offensive lineman who started 15 games for a Georgia Bulldogs team that played for a national title. Sound blocker who played tackle and guard in college, and could do so at the next 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923750/article/peter-schrager-mock-draft-20-bills-trade-up-for-baker-mayfield?campaign=tw-cf-sf185767767-sf185767767&sf185767767=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

I'm about a year behind on posts but I'd realistically like: LBs Leighton Vander Esch or Rashaan Evans, C Billy Price or James Daniels, G Isaiah Wynn or Will Hernandez, DL Taven Bryan or Marcus Davenport.

Not big on taking a nose tackle type like Payne or Vea. Don't see a reason to take an offensive tackle in the first unless they are moving on from Fisher at RT. 

10 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I'm about a year behind on posts but I'd realistically like: LBs Leighton Vander Esch or Rashaan Evans, C Billy Price or James Daniels, G Isaiah Wynn or Will Hernandez, DL Taven Bryan or Marcus Davenport.

Not big on taking a nose tackle type like Payne or Vea. Don't see a reason to take an offensive tackle in the first unless they are moving on from Fisher at RT. 

Good to see you back! I'd love to have Vander Esch! I think right now their mind is set on Bobby Hart at rt right now?

49 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I think Fisher, Redmond or Hart could play RT. Not sure at what level. 

That's the big concern, at what level, since none of them have actually provided one bit of film showing they can do that to date.

BTW...Good to see you back, stranger!

7 hours ago, schotzee said:

Good to see you back! I'd love to have Vander Esch! I think right now their mind is set on Bobby Hart at rt right now?

Dilly!  Dilly!

On all counts.

If they don't trade up for Edmunds; R. Smith and D. James don't  slide to a reasonable slot to trade up,

Vänder Esch is the guy I would most like to see them draft.

Best Center in Round 2, OT/G Round 3

4 hours ago, schotzee said:

I don't recall seeing it here anywhere , but there's an article on NFL.com about Lamar Jackson and Cincy is mentioned as one of the fits for him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923556/article/book-on-lamar-jackson-saints-jags-bengals-fit-louisville-qb

I've heard similar stories about various Bengal scouts on campus.   I'll get back to that.  Jaguars, Steeler's, Saints, and Chief's are also candidates according to the NFL.com other stories.  Tomlin received alot of attention but to me it is the Patriots scout who should be getting mentioned.   Caserio looking at Brady's successor...   No Bengals at Louisville's pro day but from what I understand they were on campus prior to pro day.   What we're they there for ?  Don't know and if anyone else knows they're not talking.   All I can predict is that it's more likely we get Johnny Manziel than Jackson...  ...or maybe Lavar Arrington will be spotted at a steakhouse near Cincinnati...   

Lol at Hobknob for saying Hopkins is an option at center.  He sucked at guard but he might start at center without ever having played the position.   Absolutely moronic to even suggest it.  As far as I can tell, Johnson is the only player currently on the roster with experience at center both in college and the NFL.  Westerman has been mentioned in the past as a possibility but he also lacks experience.  Bottom line, the position is far from solidified and a first round pick like Price or Daniels can easily win the job.  It doesn't mean that's the only option at 21, but it's a viable one if they are looking for a Day 1 starter at a major position of need.

14 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Lol at Hobknob for saying Hopkins is an option at center.  He sucked at guard but he might start at center without ever having played the position.   Absolutely moronic to even suggest it.  As far as I can tell, Johnson is the only player currently on the roster with experience at center both in college and the NFL.  Westerman has been mentioned in the past as a possibility but he also lacks experience.  Bottom line, the position is far from solidified and a first round pick like Price or Daniels can easily win the job.  It doesn't mean that's the only option at 21, but it's a viable one if they are looking for a Day 1 starter at a major position of need.

I get the strong impression they've talked themselves out of drafting OL in the first round.  Wouldn't surprise me if they wait to the 3rd or even later.  

43 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I get the strong impression they've talked themselves out of drafting OL in the first round.  Wouldn't surprise me if they wait to the 3rd or even later.  

I do too. I think we go BPA on defense at 21 and possibly trade up in the 2nd to get the center we want.

There are 3 good starting centers in the draft. They are unlikely to all go in the top 45. We could have a preference though. Price could be there at 40 and we may like him the most. 

Archived