AJ McCarron status determined : Unrestricted Free Agent

19 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

when I first saw this I thought it meant he won and was unrestricted..

I thought damn/meh.... that figures.. could have got something for him and didn't.. not surprised..

but I am hoping for the same thing you are old...

Sorry. I added something in the title to avoid further  confusion

Everybody better hopes he loses.  

1. If you think he is better than Dalton then we need to retain his rights.  That way we will have actual leverage to resign him this year to a reasonable contract

2. If you think Andy will be the starter for the next 3 years then we can trade McCarron and pick up a few picks.

Losing his rights is no win situation.   He is gone and we get pretty much nothing out of the deal. 

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

My guess is if he loses the Bengals put the relatively cheap 1st round tender on him and retain him for 1 more year. 

Relatively cheap?

His cap hit on a 1st round tender would be higher than any backup QB in the league that didn't just win the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Relatively cheap?

His cap hit on a 1st round tender would be higher than any backup QB in the league that didn't just win the Super Bowl.

It’s a little over $4M. Add that to what Andy is making and it’s still cheaper than a lot of QB contracts. 

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

It’s a little over $4M. Add that to what Andy is making and it’s still cheaper than a lot of QB contracts. 

Okay and A.J. Green's contract is pretty reasonable if you consider that Cody Core is only making $600k this year.....or something.

You said AJM would be relatively cheap with a 1st round tender, you didn't say "AJ and Daltons contracts put together are cheaper than a lot of QB contracts", and I was just pointing out that the statement that you actually made is absolutely false. A 1st round tender makes him one of the highest paid backups in the league. I'd rather roll with a backup QB not much worse for $1-2M and put those extra couple million elsewhere. Every penny counts when you know we're going to be setting aside $20M for "future extensions + injury fund". A 1st round tender on a backup that has played like a backup is silly.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

On the scale of nfl contracts 4M is relatively cheap. 

Lol but you compare guys by their position (backup QB not starting QB). Saying "we should pay our punter $10M because it's relatively cheap compared to starting CB contracts" would be stupid. It's totally fine to just admit what you said was wrong but I know that's extremely difficult for some people to do around here. 

If McCarron being the 2nd-3rd highest paid backup (behind a proven starter and a Super Bowl champion) and you're ready to die on the hill of it being "relatively cheap", then that's on you. 

6 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Man.. I hope he doesn't win it... I think the Broncos have like the 36th pick or something like that in the second round... that would be awesome.

Even a high 3rd would be good...

9 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Man.. I hope he doesn't win it... I think the Broncos have like the 36th pick or something like that in the second round... that would be awesome.

Even a high 3rd would be good...

I read where someone said they think the Bengals will win, simply because it will open up

a Pandora's Box to the NFL where all a player has to say is "I was healthy".

They also said the ruling could come as early as today. But likely this weekend

7 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I read where someone said they think the Bengals will win, simply because it will open up

a Pandora's Box to the NFL where all a player has to say is "I was healthy".

They also said the ruling could come as early as today. But likely this weekend

Some injuries are pretty obvious, in McCarron's case it certainly is a grey area thing. 

Archived