Lamar Jackson visiting with Bengals

24 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Lamar Jackson would be a horrible fucking pick. Anyone who actually believes otherwise needs their head checked.

But it would bring back so many fond childhood memories for me of Archie Manning running around and getting pummeled.   The seafood and true Mexican food was so good. 

To be honest I was intrigued with the pick but no way I want a guy who only got a 13 at QB. They know they have to take the thing and a low score at QB is a huge red flag so this score is probably after intense training for the test.  Yikes.   Vince Young got a 6, Tyrelle Pryor a 7.  Both had excellent physical attributes.  Both were busts at QB.   Jeff George had all the tools in the world and got a 10.  It isn't a coincidence. 

Paxton Lynch was a physical specimen at QB.  6'7", big hands, big arm, athletic  and got an 18 on his Wonderlic.  Two years after Denver drafted him in the first round, they signed Case Keenum to a 2 year $36mil contract with $25mil guaranteed. 

Here is something I found about wonderlic scores and success at QB in the NFL... food for thought.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/03/31/the-wonderlic-does-not-matter-at-all-in-predicting-qb-performance-in-the-nfl/

The High Scorers were drafted on average at a better position (average of pick 14 versus pick 20). 60% of the High Scorers went in the Top 10. 44% of the Low Scorers did. So we would expect that maybe the High Scorers would have slightly better numbers based on that.

But it’s the opposite. The low scorers started more games (40.9 to 32.5) in the first 4 years and had better passing stats (ANYA+ of 96 versus 87). The low scorers played in more games, with a winning percentage of 50.1%, while the high scorers were at 46.4%. In looking over those two lists, the bust rate was twice as high with the second list.

30 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Here is something I found about wonderlic scores and success at QB in the NFL... food for thought.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/03/31/the-wonderlic-does-not-matter-at-all-in-predicting-qb-performance-in-the-nfl/

The High Scorers were drafted on average at a better position (average of pick 14 versus pick 20). 60% of the High Scorers went in the Top 10. 44% of the Low Scorers did. So we would expect that maybe the High Scorers would have slightly better numbers based on that.

But it’s the opposite. The low scorers started more games (40.9 to 32.5) in the first 4 years and had better passing stats (ANYA+ of 96 versus 87). The low scorers played in more games, with a winning percentage of 50.1%, while the high scorers were at 46.4%. In looking over those two lists, the bust rate was twice as high with the second list.

I don't buy it.  I already gave you the list of active Superbowl winners and their Wonderlic scores.  The best QBs have higher scores.    There are outliers like Marino and Bradshaw both with 16s but NFL offenses and defenses are WAY more complex now then back then. 

Jake Locker was the 8th overall pick and had a 20.  He is already out of the league. Newton got a 21 and is the first decent QB on the list.  The next  is probably Rothleisburger and Prescott at 25.  Russell Wilson, P. Manning and Brees all got 28s.   Jimmy Garapp, Foles and Andy Dalton all had 29s. 

Here are all the released scores.   It is sorted by score and position so its pretty easy to follow.   http://wonderlictestsample.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

A high score certainly doesn't guarantee anything but a very low score is very indicative of future failure at that position. 

26 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don't buy it.  I already gave you the list of active Superbowl winners and their Wonderlic scores.  The best QBs have higher scores.    There are outliers like Marino and Bradshaw both with 16s but NFL offenses and defenses are WAY more complex now then back then. 

Jake Locker was the 8th overall pick and had a 20.  He is already out of the league. Newton got a 21 and is the first decent QB on the list.  The next  is probably Rothleisburger and Prescott at 25.  Russell Wilson, P. Manning and Brees all got 28s.   Jimmy Garapp, Foles and Andy Dalton all had 29s. 

Here are all the released scores.   It is sorted by score and position so its pretty easy to follow.   http://wonderlictestsample.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

A high score certainly doesn't guarantee anything but a very low score is very indicative of future failure at that position. 

Didn't say I was buying it either, just put it out there for human consumption...

Some more info...

Brett Farve, a pretty good QB, scored 20. Terry Bradshaw, another decent QB, scored 16.

Steve McNair 15
Jim Kelly 15
Randall Cunningham 15
Dan Marino 16

6 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Didn't say I was buying it either, just put it out there for human consumption...

Some more info...

Brett Farve, a pretty good QB, scored 20. Terry Bradshaw, another decent QB, scored 16.

Steve McNair 15
Jim Kelly 15
Randall Cunningham 15
Dan Marino 16

As far as Favre anyway, he hit the lowest cutoff at 20 and yea he was pretty good. :)

6 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Some more info...

Steve McNair 15
Jim Kelly 15
Randall Cunningham 15
Dan Marino 16

Like I said, the offenses and defenses are more complex then anything back then, particularly since recent rule changes favor the forward pass.

Neither Kelly nor Cunningham averaged over 200 yards per game.  Also, the Wonderlic wasn't a deal breaker in the 80s or 90s so I doubt many practiced for it. Marino was awesome.

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Like I said, the offenses and defenses are more complex then anything back then, particularly since recent rule changes favor the forward pass.

Neither Kelly nor Cunningham averaged over 200 yards per game.  Also, the Wonderlic wasn't a deal breaker in the 80s or 90s so I doubt many practiced for it. Marino was awesome.

Not to start a debate, but I think that Marino is the best QB that I've watched. Early 70s to present. Dolphins never got all the pieces together to win a SB in his era, sadly.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Not to start a debate, but I think that Marino is the best QB that I've watched. Early 70s to present. Dolphins never got all the pieces together to win a SB in his era, sadly.

The best QB I ever watched play was Steve Young.   Didn't become the SF starter until he was 30 years old and only because Montana got hurt. Rushed for 474 yards, passed for 4100 and had a QB rating of 104.7 at age 37.  Passer rating while at SF,..101.4,  almost all of it accomplished in his 30s.   Led the league in passer rating 6 times.   Had a passer rating over 100 6 times.  Led the league in average yards per attempt 6 times.  Led the league in completion percentage 5 times.  

In 1994 he completed 70.3% of his passes for 35 tds, had a passer rating of 112.8 and led the league in yards per attempt (not dink and dunk).  Extraordinary passer.  His stats are staggering.

Finally, Wonderlic of 33. 

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The best QB I ever watched play was Steve Young.   Didn't become the SF starter until he was 30 years old and only because Montana got hurt. Rushed for 474 yards, passed for 4100 and had a QB rating of 104.7 at age 37.  Passer rating while at SF,..101.4,  almost all of it accomplished in his 30s.   Led the league in passer rating 6 times.   Had a passer rating over 100 6 times.  Led the league in average yards per attempt 6 times.  Led the league in completion percentage 5 times.  

In 1994 he completed 70.3% of his passes for 35 tds, had a passer rating of 112.8 and led the league in yards per attempt (not dink and dunk).  Extraordinary passer.  His stats are staggering.

Finally, Wonderlic of 33. 

I hate to agree bc of who he played for ,but I do. Just think if he wasn't concussed out early.

3 hours ago, schotzee said:

I hate to agree bc of who he played for ,but I do. Just think if he wasn't concussed out early.

Just think if he didn't have to sit behind Montana for 4 years.  Then again, he might have never developed into a great QB.  He also had a great team, coach, GM and owner behind him.   Kenny Anderson would be on Mt Rushmore if he had ever played for the 70s Stealers or mid 80s to late 90s 49er teams. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Just think if he didn't have to sit behind Montana for 4 years.  Then again, he might have never developed into a great QB.  He also had a great team, coach, GM and owner behind him.   Kenny Anderson would be on Mt Rushmore if he had ever played for the 70s Stealers or mid 80s to late 90s 49er teams. 

One key factor: he had Jerry Rice. And Ricky Waters.

Lamar Jackson to the Bengals.   Woo hoo...   As I said before, I would not be disappointed.   All the haters need to take a deep breath and relax.   Wonderlic means jack shit.   David Klingler scored a 30.  Akili Smith scored a 26.  Nuff said.   Getting an offensive line prospect that is plug and play is highly unlikely.  Defensive players might work but I haven't seen anyone leaning heavily in that direction.

FWIW Kenneth,  Lamar likes Mercedes... 

2 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Lamar Jackson to the Bengals.   Woo hoo...   As I said before, I would not be disappointed.   All the haters need to take a deep breath and relax.   Wonderlic means jack shit.   David Klingler scored a 30.  Akili Smith scored a 26.  Nuff said.   Getting an offensive line prospect that is plug and play is highly unlikely.  Defensive players might work but I haven't seen anyone leaning heavily in that direction.

Based on what?  There will be at least 3 or 4 there.

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

Black QB's matter!:cool::4_joy:

12 hours ago, Jason said:

That's what I was going to say. At 21? Especially if it's an interior lineman? He'd better be ready to play, 'cuz he's playing! We ain't got time to wait on a developmental olineman this time around. We've got to go, go, GO!

19 hours ago, Jason said:

Semi Educated Hunch.   Our history of OT drafting in the 1st during the Marvin Lewis era is not good.   OG maybe but do not see an OG being drafted in the 1st.   OG is already on the roster...   I will agree that OG might be plug and play but to me it's not an option we take.   Out of the 3 Centers ever taken by the Bengals in the 1st, only one was worth a shit.  Bob Johnson in 68.  The other two were Blair Bush 78 and Dave Remington 83.  None were in the Marvin Lewis era.

Lastly,  with the exception of Zeitler,  no offensive lineman drafted by the Marvin Lewis era Bengals in the 1st played their entire first season (due to injury or other).   While there might be 1st year plug and play OTs out there, the Bengals don't know who they are... 

Archived