Who Has the Most to Gain?

A new head coach means a new start for everybody on the roster. Marvin Lewis’s doghouse has always been particularly tough to get out of. And, a fresh set of eyes, means that there may be guys on this roster that see expanded roles moving forward.

My question is: What players stand to gain the most under the incoming regime?

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

18 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

A new head coach means a new start for everybody on the roster. Marvin Lewis’s doghouse has always been particularly tough to get out of. And, a fresh set of eyes, means that there may be guys on this roster that see expanded roles moving forward.

My question is: What players stand to gain the most under the incoming regime?

Gotta say Mixon, dude put up excellent numbers even being forgotten for stretches of the season.  Gio too.  Just a real lack of creativity for having 2 damned good RB's on the roster. Our pass rushers would certainly benefit from a real DC, in combo with letting our DB's play the aggressive man coverage they were drafted for instead of playing soft and praying for a turnover.

41 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Gotta say Mixon, dude put up excellent numbers even being forgotten for stretches of the season.  Gio too.  Just a real lack of creativity for having 2 damned good RB's on the roster. Our pass rushers would certainly benefit from a real DC, in combo with letting our DB's play the aggressive man coverage they were drafted for instead of playing soft and praying for a turnover.

My thoughts exactly. 

I have to agree. A little imagination in the run/screen game could really make Mixon and Bernard a fearsome duo.

And why did the Bengals pay top dollar to keep Geno and Dunlap if all they were going to do if they were never going to turn them loose?

I would say Mixon the most ( at least i hope so)

But I hope it is our secondary,

Jackson is a stud, but needs to play man, he is not a zone cb 

Denard should be the # 2 cb hands down

Kirk is not very good a cb and should move to safety, he cannot turn his hips to play cb, but, I think he could play if the action is in front of him

Bates will be pro bowler with the proper coaching

Phillips with proper coaching can be really good

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It would be a 10mil cap hit. 2 mil in real dollars I think. Not sure how rookie signing bonuses are paid. 

Calling it a "cap hit" is misleading.  The money has already been spent, there is no "hit".  The only decision to be made is whether we want to spend one of 53 roster spots on a backup receiver that can't run routes, catch balls in traffic, or play special teams.  If he stays it only costs us more money in whatever roster or other bonuses he may have coming.  The 10 mil is water under the bridge & a non-factor if the goal is putting together the best team possible.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Calling it a "cap hit" is misleading.  The money has already been spent, there is no "hit".  The only decision to be made is whether we want to spend one of 53 roster spots on a backup receiver that can't run routes, catch balls in traffic, or play special teams.  If he stays it only costs us more money in whatever roster or other bonuses he may have coming.  The 10 mil is water under the bridge & a non-factor if the goal is putting together the best team possible.

It simply means if we get rid of him, we still have him on the books for 10 mil in cap space.  No it isn't actual money but  that is $10 mil the Bengals can't spend on other players in 2019.  Cap is projected at $190 mil so that means over 10% of the salary cap being spent on offense is going to a guy who has 21 receptions and 210 career yards in 2 seasons. 

That is why the Antonio Brown situation is hilarious.  He is worth $21 mil in 2019 cap space and he is a future hall of fame receiver.  We can probably spend a few mil and replace Ross' production easily, the Stealers are fucked.  HA HA HA.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

It simply means if we get rid of him, we still have him on the books for 10 mil in cap space.  No it isn't actual money but  that is $10 mil the Bengals can't spend on other players in 2019.  Cap is projected at $190 mil so that means over 10% of the salary cap being spent on offense is going to a guy who has 21 receptions and 210 career yards in 2 seasons. 

That is why the Antonio Brown situation is hilarious.  He is worth $21 mil in 2019 cap space and he is a future hall of fame receiver.  We can probably spend a few mil and replace Ross' production easily, the Stealers are fucked.  HA HA HA.

Trade them. Sure they will run pick plays to get him open but he's not AB.

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Trade them. Sure they will run pick plays to get him open but he's not AB.

I have seen little to make me think Ross will become some kind of Tyreek Hill type player.  I don’t even notice his speed on the field. 

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I have seen little to make me think Ross will become some kind of Tyreek Hill type player.  I don’t even notice his speed on the field. 

AB on the other hand was no doubt HoF before "he make The Ben anger!! duurrrrr"

So that's 2 real good reasons for him to be a Bengal & counting.  Opposite AJ?  Gotta maintain that $50+ million cap cushion, though.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

AB on the other hand was no doubt HoF before "he make The Ben anger!! duurrrrr"

So that's 2 real good reasons for him to be a Bengal & counting.  Opposite AJ?  Gotta maintain that $50+ million cap cushion, though.

Ross and Burfict for AB? We will even throw in a 4th rounder. 

44 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Brown counts about as much on the cap for the Stealers whether they keep him or trade him. So they can easily trade him if they get an offer they like. Replacing his production would be the hard part, rather than dealing with the cap ramifications.

I believe if they cut or trade him the cap hit is higher this year as his bonus when he signed gets accelerated into the current cap year. 

19 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I believe if they cut or trade him the cap hit is higher this year as his bonus when he signed gets accelerated into the current cap year. 

A little over $21mil in dead cap right now.  Dead cap is the number that counts against salary cap calc.  It won't cost Pittsburgh anything in real money to cut him since he has probably already been paid his signing bonus but they will be working with only $169 mil instead of $190 mil for salary.   I assume they could get some decent draft pics for next years draft since they will have huge cap space NEXT year. 

If Taylor is the guy I still think it will matter who the OC is before we can truly know, but based on what Taylor has done in KC and the fact that he is a QB and WR guy. Obvious choices are Andy and AJ, but also Mixon because of how the Rams use Gurley. 

But those are already our top 3 guys so in terms of actual gain as in the trajectory is bigger in their growth, I'm going to go out on a limb and say John Ross.

We know Mixon is a beast...led the AFC in rushing behind this line and having a stiff at QB for the last few games.

I hope some fresh eyes can help Ross and Gio be a bigger part of the offense too.

I soooo want Ross to not be a bust, but it's getting to the point of no return.

Just have everyone healthy going in to camp next year

I know ross hasnt set the world on fire.  However, the dude basically played out is rookie season this year.  Boyd had a decent first year, but completely sputtered out in his second, before improving tremendously in his third year.  Not to mention, before injuries of course, there were plenty of other mouths to feed other than ross, and conversely, when everyone got hurt, it was on him as i said, basically a rookie receiver, to make plays.  I think he needs atleast another year, under a new regime, before an opinion can be be remotely formed on him, especially given the fact that by all accounts, a very offensive minded coach with plenty of new concepts (should be anyway) is coming in.  Lets just wait and see.  

Archived