2021 Training Camp and Pre-Season News Thread and chatter

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

So, the Bengals made the right call passing on Sewell and ended up with a WR that has the yips.  Then they reached for a local guy with back problems in the second round who has been passed on the depth chart by a fourth round pick. 

Sounds like a Bengals draft to me. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

So, the Bengals made the right call passing on Sewell and ended up with a WR that has the yips.  Then they reached for a local guy with back problems in the second round who has been passed on the depth chart by a fourth round pick. 

Sounds like a Bengals draft to me. 

Same old "Same old Bengals" post. Should we start the 2022 draft thread?

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Then they reached for a local guy with back problems in the second round who has been passed on the depth chart by a fourth round pick. 

How did he get passed? They’re each the first back up at their positions. 

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

Yeah, every single post.

Ok.  I'm gonna be nice here.  I am pretty sure you are reading what you want to into my comments.  Yeah, sometimes it is the "same old Bengals," but in this case it's as much bad luck as anything.

The pick of Chase was a good one.  I thought OL was more of a priority, but he's was a consensus top talent.  The fact that he is struggling to catch the ball is....just f'n great.  It may be over this weekend, or it may be next month or next year.  Who knows.  It's certainly mental.  Hope he figures it out soon. 

I did not like the pick of Carman as it was a reach for a guy they could have likely gotten in the third or even fourth round considering the situation.  Background that Mike Brown was into the guy puts icing on the cake.  When the old man gets involved bad things happen.  Sorry, but it's true. 

The picks of Ossai and Smith were awesome.  Great finds.  A real shame Ossai is out for the season.  Again, not the Bengals fault, but damn...

So, that's what I really meant.  I chaotic draft where crazy stuff happened again.  More top picks injured and Mike Brown makes an appearance. 

I'm not one to get personal, but if you want to make it personal I will play along.  I'd rather just talk about football. 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

I would be surprised to see anyone but Smith in there if a backup is needed.  You could read where players stood on Sunday by when they played.  Smith was in there as soon as the 1s were out and I don't remember seeing much of him after halftime.  Carman was out there pretty much the entire game.  Even a few weeks ago there were articles suggesting Smith may even start opening weekend.  Around the same time Tobin was dragging Carman in the press.  I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Smith has passed Carman.

Look, I hope Carman comes along and becomes a solid player.  He just hasn't gotten off to the best start, and it's not his fault he was drafted in the second round and now has the expectations that came along with that. 

8 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Ok.  I'm gonna be nice here.  I am pretty sure you are reading what you want to into my comments.  Yeah, sometimes it is the "same old Bengals," but in this case it's as much bad luck as anything.

The pick of Chase was a good one.  I thought OL was more of a priority, but he's was a consensus top talent.  The fact that he is struggling to catch the ball is....just f'n great.  It may be over this weekend, or it may be next month or next year.  Who knows.  It's certainly mental.  Hope he figures it out soon. 

I did not like the pick of Carman as it was a reach for a guy they could have likely gotten in the third or even fourth round considering the situation.  Background that Mike Brown was into the guy puts icing on the cake.  When the old man gets involved bad things happen.  Sorry, but it's true. 

The picks of Ossai and Smith were awesome.  Great finds.  A real shame Ossai is out for the season.  Again, not the Bengals fault, but damn...

So, that's what I really meant.  I chaotic draft where crazy stuff happened again.  More top picks injured and Mike Brown makes an appearance. 

I'm not one to get personal, but if you want to make it personal I will play along.  I'd rather just talk about football. 

Who is getting personal? I just don't get the knee jerk negativity. Carman looked pretty good in pre-season, but Mike Brown commented on him being drafted, so it was his pick, so Carman's going to suck? It's obvious that MB's not calling the shots any more. Just look at the last 2 FA seasons with all the money spent and the shit load of trades. After 2 decades of almost exclusively building through the draft. 

And yes, Chase has the jitters. He's a rookie and hasn't played in 2 years. Hopefully, it will click, but it doesn't have to this season. We already had a strong receiving corps, so anything he does this season is a bonus. But everybody is expecting him to be the top receiver, which is silly. Which is a lot of unnecessary pressure. Maybe, once he realizes that he doesn't have to do it all, he might relax and start producing. But if he only has WR3 type stats this season, he will surely be called a bust on here. Outstanding rookies are the exception and there will probably be less this year with so many of them opting out last year.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Who is getting personal? I just don't get the knee jerk negativity. Carman looked pretty good in pre-season, but Mike Brown commented on him being drafted, so it was his pick, so Carman's going to suck? It's obvious that MB's not calling the shots any more. Just look at the last 2 FA seasons with all the money spent and the shit load of trades. After 2 decades of almost exclusively building through the draft. 

What knee jerk negativity?  It's just truth.  Duke Tobin came out of his cave to criticize Carman.  When has Duke Tobin said much of anything?  The Bengals touted Carman as a day one starter.  (go back to another thread where I provided the proof) and ended up ripping him in the press.  Not good.  There are many reasons it was a bad pick.  First of all the guy was coming off back surgery.  Surgery.  Back surgery isn't good for anyone much less a guy in his early 20s.  Just about everyone else had Carman as a third or fourth round pick.  They reach and he doesn't perform.  Media after the pick talk about how Brown was enamored with Carman.  We know MB likes his locals.  OSU and all.  Bad sign.  The Bengals have to spend money in FA now due to the cap floor and slotted pay for rookies.  I'm not sure how much Brown is involved, but it sure as hell isn't zero and when the boss speaks.... 

Then there are the injuries.  Like I said, not the Bengals fault, but it seems to happen year after year with picks.  It's frustrating. 

When it comes to the draft the past half-dozen years or so it seems to be a mixed bag of bad picks, injuries and nice finds later in the draft.  You may see my view of the Bengals drafts as knee jerk negativity, but I see you as the little guy drinking coffee at the table around a burning room saying "This is fine."  Like you I want the Bengals to win, but they need a lot more from the first couple rounds of the draft if they are going to do so. 

14 hours ago, spicoli said:

You may be correct about Carman.  From Dehner at The Athletic today:

"Carman improved, but his football shape early in camp put him behind the curve. He played better each week and the encouragement of that made moving on from Jordan easier, but there should still be nervousness if he lines up in front of Burrow early in the year. Yet, he’s the likely first off the bench should anything happen to the starting guards.

Smith flashed early, but his dehydration and missed time slowed some of his positive momentum. He’ll train at both guard and tackle, but even with positive signs from him, throwing a fourth-round pick from East Carolina to the wolves early would also leave a few fingers crossed on the sideline."

I'm not thrilled with Chase' issues this summer but compared to the "issues" suffered by recent Bengal 1st rd picks, I'm thrilled. I'm to the point where good health is all I can dare ask for out of a Bengal preseason. So far we've fared pretty good. Ossai is really the only significant casualty. Compared to past training camps, we're in great shape

2 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I'm not thrilled with Chase' issues this summer but compared to the "issues" suffered by recent Bengal 1st rd picks, I'm thrilled. I'm to the point where good health is all I can dare ask for out of a Bengal preseason. So far we've fared pretty good. Ossai is really the only significant casualty. Compared to past training camps, we're in great shape

Worlds better than Ross for sure. 

Not sure the Bengals are in that great of shape with draft picks.

1st pick: Yips

2nd pick:  Behind where they hoped he would be

3rd pick:  Out for year

Not so great.  Picks 1 and 2 could and should improve as the year goes on, but damn.  Did the Browns refuse to let a goat watch training camp or something?

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

What knee jerk negativity?  It's just truth.  Duke Tobin came out of his cave to criticize Carman.  When has Duke Tobin said much of anything?  The Bengals touted Carman as a day one starter.  (go back to another thread where I provided the proof) and ended up ripping him in the press.  Not good.  There are many reasons it was a bad pick.  First of all the guy was coming off back surgery.  Surgery.  Back surgery isn't good for anyone much less a guy in his early 20s.  Just about everyone else had Carman as a third or fourth round pick.  They reach and he doesn't perform.  Media after the pick talk about how Brown was enamored with Carman.  We know MB likes his locals.  OSU and all.  Bad sign.  The Bengals have to spend money in FA now due to the cap floor and slotted pay for rookies.  I'm not sure how much Brown is involved, but it sure as hell isn't zero and when the boss speaks.... 

Then there are the injuries.  Like I said, not the Bengals fault, but it seems to happen year after year with picks.  It's frustrating. 

When it comes to the draft the past half-dozen years or so it seems to be a mixed bag of bad picks, injuries and nice finds later in the draft.  You may see my view of the Bengals drafts as knee jerk negativity, but I see you as the little guy drinking coffee at the table around a burning room saying "This is fine."  Like you I want the Bengals to win, but they need a lot more from the first couple rounds of the draft if they are going to do so. 

The season hasn't even started yet so how can they get more from the picks? We don't know what kind of season Chase will have and I don't think they planned on Cartman starting week 1 when they drafted him. Fortunately,  this season doesn't hinge solely on the success of the first 2 draft picks as you seem to think.

And everything is fine. I think it's progressing nicely. Which is a much better attitude than, oh no, we suck again. Even before the season starts.

56 minutes ago, Hooky said:

The season hasn't even started yet so how can they get more from the picks? We don't know what kind of season Chase will have and I don't think they planned on Cartman starting week 1 when they drafted him. Fortunately,  this season doesn't hinge solely on the success of the first 2 draft picks as you seem to think.

And everything is fine. I think it's progressing nicely. Which is a much better attitude than, oh no, we suck again. Even before the season starts.

Once again you read into my post what you want to hear and how you want to characterize me.  I do not think "oh, no, we suck again," but I don't think everything around the draft is fine.  The Bengals did promote Carman starting.  I've already dug up the stuff from Bengals.com and I'm not doing it again.  My comments were about the draft and new players, not the season.  Now you want to change that.  I am hopeful that a healthy Burrow and improved OL and defense will yield better results.  Hell, I wouldn't be all over this board if I wasn't excited about it.

Look, I'm trying to talk about the Bengals and give my opinion.  I would appreciate you not twisting my words and taking shots. 

Archived