Dehner's Article this AM worth chewing over maybe

On 10/28/2021 at 10:12 AM, membengal said:

From his list - I can immediately cop to being wrong about...

---LouA. I thought we should have moved on from him last off-season. Totally did not see this coming. Didn't think he was capable of it. As stunned as can be about the turnaround.

From the list of things I am most happy to have been right about...

That moving on from WJIII was the right move. After his initial splash his first year he was never really anything better than...average? At best? Letting him go for the coin he commanded and signing TWO d-backs with that money (Awuzie and Hilton) made a ton of sense to me at the time. That he is sucking for WFT isn't entirely surprising to me. That Awuzie has turned into a top 5 type CB is a surprise to me but I did think we had quietly made the right call there. 

Bumping this to highlight, once again, how fucking wrong I was about LouA. Just..all kinds of wrong. WRONG. 

I think everyone can go easy on themselves because what frame of reference did any of us have other than our eyes and Lou's history of mediocrity?  We're not part of the team and we definitely didn't know what Lou's thought process or vision is/was, so as fans our only "job" is to demand a better standard.   You have a choice whether to be diplomatic/fair/cruel but at the end of the day we all wanted the same thing, INCLUDING Lou.

Now, the very rare and unique thing both Taylor and Lou got was not just three cracks (i.e. seasons) at it in this modern era, but the team actually went out and paid for/picked ALL the players Lou wanted for his quite unique vision.  A 5-2 in today's NFL?  Really?  Well, he's done it and he's proven that if given time to dissect an opponent and the players running on all cylinders with discipline, it fuggin WORKS.  The downside or risk factor seems to be if his careful plan gets any kind of unknown "wrench" thrown in (Mike White, etc) it can mess it up.  This is what he can work on going forward, having a more effective opening strategy.

Now we get to hope that Zac's insight into the Rams can help Lou dissect things one more time!

On 10/28/2021 at 9:27 AM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

All the recent moves have been the right ones, kudos to the team for that. BUT, BUT, BUT, this team has in the past made seemingly significant progress only to fall back before even winning a playoff game. Progress? Huge from the last two years but the team and the front office still has to be far more consistent with personnel decisions and they need to modernize how they use the cap otherwise we will just lose the good players we drafted and the cycle will repeat. Perhaps not the dismal cycle but more like the ML cycle. 

Part of the 'culture change' I have yet to see is the change in how the organization manages itself. They need to step forward, sign the key players like Bates (even if they need to make him the top paid safety), keep being more clinical in personnel evaluations, etc. 

So far so good though, this season has been a surprise and a pleasant one. 

Singing key players is important. Signing key players “no matter the cost” isn’t always.  I’d imagine they work out a fine deal. But with burrow and chase even 5th year option money being gigantic, being wise as to not have a pile of money stuck elsewhere. 

On 11/7/2021 at 5:47 PM, UncleEarl said:

I can't agree.  It's pretty obvious the problems we've watched the last two weeks have more to do with coaching than talent.  The league has figured out the Bengals.  Taylor may be charismatic and positive, but he's still Boy Blunder when it comes to Xs and Os.  The front office spent a lot of money on the defense and it is plummeting back down to the bottom of the league under Anarumo.  Sure, the young kids are making young kid mistakes, but guys like Burrow and Chase can play.  They need a coaching staff that will make it easier for them, not harder. 

Really?..

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

Singing key players is important. Signing key players “no matter the cost” isn’t always.  I’d imagine they work out a fine deal. But with burrow and chase even 5th year option money being gigantic, being wise as to not have a pile of money stuck elsewhere. 

Agree..

Future contracts to consider...

Williams and Spain.

Apple and BJ Hill.

Thats to stay relevent... ..

Burrow Higgins Chase will command 

big contracts..

Thats to stay atop..

The Blackburn women and their capoligist will be working into the nights to keep the core together..

Have to be vigilant to preserve cap space in the near future..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Really?..

Well, that was just after the Bengals had been blasted by the Browns and Jets at home. They looked pretty shitty.  I still think Taylor is learning on the job when it comes to gameplans and playcalling.  He as much admitted it after the SF game. 

5 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I think everyone can go easy on themselves because what frame of reference did any of us have other than our eyes and Lou's history of mediocrity?  We're not part of the team and we definitely didn't know what Lou's thought process or vision is/was, so as fans our only "job" is to demand a better standard.   You have a choice whether to be diplomatic/fair/cruel but at the end of the day we all wanted the same thing, INCLUDING Lou.

Now, the very rare and unique thing both Taylor and Lou got was not just three cracks (i.e. seasons) at it in this modern era, but the team actually went out and paid for/picked ALL the players Lou wanted for his quite unique vision.  A 5-2 in today's NFL?  Really?  Well, he's done it and he's proven that if given time to dissect an opponent and the players running on all cylinders with discipline, it fuggin WORKS.  The downside or risk factor seems to be if his careful plan gets any kind of unknown "wrench" thrown in (Mike White, etc) it can mess it up.  This is what he can work on going forward, having a more effective opening strategy.

Now we get to hope that Zac's insight into the Rams can help Lou dissect things one more time!

Fair.  Anarumo did not do well in years 1 and 2.  In hindsight it was personnel.  Had to get rid of malcontents and get talent.  They got him talent and look!  Now do the same for the OL.  They gots the dough.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Fair.  Anarumo did not do well in years 1 and 2.  In hindsight it was personnel.  Had to get rid of malcontents and get talent.  They got him talent and look!  Now do the same for the OL.  They gots the dough.

On board with that..

PFFs latest mock has us drafting Tyler Linderbaum...

Says hes small but outstanding in what you want in a center..

Goes on about how centers draft stock drops come draft day..

Then sign a good vet RT..

Not great...good...

I still have faith Coach Pollack will make iCarman into a good guard..( alot of maturity issues) ..

im still not super sold on Lou TBH. only thing i Care about Zac is if Joe wants him here, if so we are sll set.

Loud i feel is decent but the fact we had, kept, added or drafted nothing but leadership team first guys has as much to do with the success as lou. teams have even stated we disquise nothing, scheme wise. Its tough to argue against him when guys keep making plays, but we drafted team Captain style play makers. so like, thats what they SHOULD do..

so im in the grey on that one.

6 hours ago, GoBengals said:

im still not super sold on Lou TBH. only thing i Care about Zac is if Joe wants him here, if so we are sll set.

Loud i feel is decent but the fact we had, kept, added or drafted nothing but leadership team first guys has as much to do with the success as lou. teams have even stated we disquise nothing, scheme wise. Its tough to argue against him when guys keep making plays, but we drafted team Captain style play makers. so like, thats what they SHOULD do..

In 2 second half against the Chiefs Lou's D has held them to 2 FGs in 10 possessions. Gotta give Lou credit for that. If the Bills had done that, they might be playing the Rams in 2 weeks

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I still have faith Coach Pollack will make iCarman into a good guard..( alot of maturity issues) ..

I do not.  When he came in the game this week he got knocked on his heels immediately.  Multiple times.  I don't think it's strength, but footwork and technique.  He hasn't seemed to learn much of that this season.  Maybe, it will come, but I wouldn't count on it and pencil Carman in as a starter next season.

7 hours ago, GoBengals said:

I dont know man some of the schemes Lou has drawn up to put these guys in plays to make plays has been pretty impressive to me. In all honesty with the number of open positions still available I wont be entirely shocked if Lou gets one

Again, I would point anyone to the pod I linked in one of the other threads. 32 minute mark. Tice talks in DETAIL about what Bengals changed up in second half and just how good that scheme was. Combo of coaching and execution of that vision. Took high level play from really smart defenders. All of that is to LouA's credit, frankly. It is what prompted me to re-bump this thread and underscore the L i take on my views on Lou. Glad Bengals stuck with him.

Here's that link again - jump to the 32 minute mark for the Bengals/Chiefs talk...

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bengals-rams-move-on-to-super-bowl-lvi-can-the-49ers/id1528622068?i=1000549487607

8 hours ago, GoBengals said:

Please listen to the podcast at the link membengal posted ^^^

14 hours ago, GoBengals said:

To be fair, i did not say 'no matter what the cost'. The point was if you have key players that are team leaders you have to pay them. The market will dictate the price. But sometimes you have to pay a bit more as a 'sign' you mean to keep building, then later, if it works, some players will sign for less than market value to be on a SB contender. 

8 hours ago, GoBengals said:

Isn't getting good players and putting them in a position to succeed what coaching is all about?  So, yeah...committing to players that have been shown to be leaders is a big part of what's happening on both sides of the ball.  That's a big thumbs up for Taylor.  Seems that was his mantra to Mike Brown.  Players win games with execution, no matter the scheme.  If that's what Anarumo is doing...good on him!  His halftime adjustments have been pretty effective.  My only criticism of Taylor comes when I think he gets too cute.  Put the ball in Burrow's hands and let the players get it done.  Sounds like that's what Anarumo has been doing on defense.

6 hours ago, membengal said:

Again, I would point anyone to the pod I linked in one of the other threads. 32 minute mark. Tice talks in DETAIL about what Bengals changed up in second half and just how good that scheme was. Combo of coaching and execution of that vision. Took high level play from really smart defenders. All of that is to LouA's credit, frankly. It is what prompted me to re-bump this thread and underscore the L i take on my views on Lou. Glad Bengals stuck with him.

Here's that link again - jump to the 32 minute mark for the Bengals/Chiefs talk...

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bengals-rams-move-on-to-super-bowl-lvi-can-the-49ers/id1528622068?i=1000549487607

This was a REALLY good listen

Archived