Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

On 7/18/2023 at 11:41 AM, AmishBengalFan said:

Back Together Weekend - Linky: https://www.bengals.com/team/back-together-weekend

I attended this last year - it was kinda cool but geared more toward kids and people who have never been inside PBS than the more seasoned ticket holders.  Gates opened at 1, practice began at 2:15 and ran until 4.  There was some interaction between the fans and players, and there were plenty of distractions from the PA announcers, Maria, and Liz, who engaged with the crowd frequently.  Altogether not a terrible way to spend a VERY hot afternoon in Cincinnati, and definitely worth the price of admission.

Season Ticket holders - we should get an email from our account manager today (Tuesday 7/18) with your TicketBastard link to get tickets.  IIRC there was a limit of 4 tickets per account last year, unknown if that's the limit this year.  Tickets are 100% free and are available only to Season Ticket and Waitlist bubbas for two days - General public gets access on Thursday.

On 7/18/2023 at 1:30 PM, AmishBengalFan said:

Check emails now - I just got mine from Pumkie.  There's a presale code you need to enter from your email to access tickets.

Max is 6 tickets - at least for me it was.

All tickets are gone.  I have an extra pair if anyone would like me to transfer them to you.  Just lemme know.

6 hours ago, dex said:

"I have bound myself not to talk about Joe's contract. I don't think it's helpful for the negotiations," Brown said. "The other side has made the same commitment and they have not broken it. THAT ONE COMES CLOSE. I could answer that and they might think that is talking about the negotiation so I'm going to beg off."

Brown is referring to the question that the reporter asked when he says "that one."

18 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ Lou will be a head coach somewhere else after this season, so it's important to get the first Lombardi (of several to come) now before he leaves.

I don't think Callahan or even Pitcher for that matter will last much longer either

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ I really hope Zac is bluffing. 

Playing starters in the pre-season is fucking dumb and negligent.

Burrow, Chase, or Tee shouldn't take a single snap in these 'glorified practices' that don't matter. All risk, no reward. 

I would argue part of the reason we got off to a slow start last season was that nobody got any preseason playing time. I don't want them playing the full games, but maybe a quarter in the first two games would be helpful.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I would argue part of the reason we got off to a slow start last season was that nobody got any preseason playing time. I don't want them playing the full games, but maybe a quarter in the first two games would be helpful.

Our OL looked like they'd just met. You can't keep these guys in bubble wrap until opening kickoff and expect them to hit the ground running.  They can get hurt stepping out of a shower, it's just the wrong mentality entirely for a full-contact sport.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T-Dub said:

Our OL looked like they'd just met.

Because they did, as most of them were new. That's not the case now, with 4 returning starters. 

Of course you can be hurt on any play. But every play is a spin of the wheel, with let's say a 1% chance of injury each spin. So why take unnecessary spins on games that don't count in the standings? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Because they did, as most of them were new. That's not the case now, with 4 returning starters. 

Of course you can be hurt on any play. But every play is a spin of the wheel, with let's say a 1% chance of injury each spin. So why take unnecessary spins on games that don't count in the standings? 

Why practice at all? It's the NFL, guys are going to get hurt. Of course you take reasonable precautions but it's going to happen regardless. Ultimately the goal is winning championships, not avoiding injuries.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Why practice at all? It's the NFL, guys are going to get hurt. 

In practice, Burrow wears an orange jersey and is not allowed to be hit. Under your philosophy, hell, let the Defense light him up, it will be good for him and toughen him up. Right?

This is isn't the Junction Boys and Bear Bryant. In a long season, the teams that suffer the least injuries have the best chance to still be standing at the end. So the goal, should be to limit them as much as possible. Especially amongst the core 3-5 guys on every team that are essential to their success.

If Burrow goes down the season is over. If Chase goes down, this team likely goes from 15-2, to 11-6 ... certain players have a such a high value to the team's success that you cannot risk to lose them over a meaningless preseason game, which has no bearing on playoff seeding. 

Imagine if Kijana Carter had sat out the preseason, maybe he doesn't basically end his entire career on like his 3rd snap ever - in a game that meant nothing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

^ I really hope Zac is bluffing. 

Playing starters in the pre-season is fucking dumb and negligent.

Burrow, Chase, or Tee shouldn't take a single snap in these 'glorified practices' that don't matter. All risk, no reward. 

Taylor isn't bluffing. Weeks ago during a podcast he said that the joint practice with Green Bay would probably mean the starters wouldn't play in the actual game that would later follow. He talked about maybe 15 starter snaps in the next game (at Atlanta) might happen depending on how things were going at that time. I believe Burrow being sidelined for almost all of training camp was the biggest reason that ALL entrenched starters didn't get any preseason snaps. Yes, one player changed the whole philosophy regarding all the starters on both sides of the ball, which only speaks to how important Burrow is to the entire organization's thinking process.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

And if they don't, play them more.

Think letting the opener be their first live game action is a bad idea. 

Yes, especially with the Bengals opening the season with 2 tough divisional games. Don't think the early schedule hasn't caught Taylor's attention. Slow starts have what has caused the Bengals to play so many playoff games on the road. Kansas City never has to play playoff games on the road and always get an early round bye. Their regular season success always puts them in the best possible playoff position.