Andrei Iosivas: What to know about the rookie leading the Bengals in preseason receiving

13 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

In 3 years the cap is projected to be $280M - teams know this so you can extend guys now knowing there is room down the road for others. 

Maybe so but there's been a lot of talk about guys taking a "keep the band together" discount. I'm not convinced Tee is willing to settle for that when he could easily be WR1 on a lot of teams & paid accordingly. Expecting him to be 2nd chair at below market value is pretty questionable. Burrow's great but he's not the only good QB in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe so but there's been a lot of talk about guys taking a "keep the band together" discount. I'm not convinced Tee is willing to settle for that when he could easily be WR1 on a lot of teams & paid accordingly. Expecting him to be 2nd chair at below market value is pretty questionable. Burrow's great but he's not the only good QB in the NFL.

We are all guessing at this point, but my guess is Joe wants Higgins signed beofre he does. Chase will follow. I think it is 'keep Joe happy for the nect decade' time for the team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We are all guessing at this point, but my guess is Joe wants Higgins signed beofre he does. Chase will follow. I think it is 'keep Joe happy for the nect decade' time for the team. 

I think it’s quite the opposite.  Higgins’ agent knows Burrow is not only going to break the bank, but change how the Bengals structure contracts with guaranteed money.  It’s smart for Higgins to wait to see how much guaranteed money Burrow gets so he can get a similar percentage.  

As someone else said Higgins has apparently been close for a long time.  It would make sense that the agent is holding out to see how much of it he can get guaranteed.  Burrow and his team have a lot more power in that negotiation. 

I can't see Higgins playing out this season without a new contract. It would be very unwise and risky, because if he got a serious injury that put him out the league, there is 30-50 million in a signing bonus that he would never see.

As a 2nd rd pick, he's never "cashed in" with his contract like Chase and Burrow have. 

• Upvote 1

Tee won't get a $30 mil signing bonus but should get at least 15, maybe 20 mil on a deal with 4 new years. It would probably be about 90 mil in new money. A 20 mil signing bonus would raise his cap number for this year plus the 4 new seasons by 4 mil each. Build in 5% annual increases and guarantee not only the current last year of his rookie deal but the first new season on the contract and he'd have over 30 mil in guarantees at signing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dex said:

Exception to the rule., but I didn't say 6th round or later...I just said 6th rounder. Hopefully Iosivas can become an excellent WR4 next year and beyond. The potential is there.

Since they didn't trade him before the draft when the return value was at its highest, the Bengals need to sign Higgins to an extension. 

Antonio Brown was a 6th rounder

35 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

As a 2nd rd pick, he's never "cashed in" with his contract like Chase and Burrow have. 

Hadn't even considered that part.  He's making around $2M a year & could easily get 10x that on the open market.  Plus, again, he'd be The Guy instead of The Other Guy. That could be just as important to him as the money.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Hadn't even considered that part.  He's making around $2M a year & could easily get 10x that on the open market.  Plus, again, he'd be The Guy instead of The Other Guy. That could be just as important to him as the money.

With the Bengals being such a pass-first offense, I don't know why Higgins would mind being The Other Guy. He would still a ton of targets from a franchise QB, all while drawing fewer double coverage snaps than the Guy. Seems like a win-win to me.

2 minutes ago, dex said:

With the Bengals being such a pass-first offense, I don't know why Higgins would mind being The Other Guy. He would still a ton of targets from a franchise QB, all while drawing fewer double coverage snaps than the Guy. Seems like a win-win to me.

Because he's a competitor? Maybe he's willing to take second chair for other (very good) reasons, but I could certainly understand if he's not willing to settle for that.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Because he's a competitor? Maybe he's willing to take second chair for other (very good) reasons, but I could certainly understand if he's not willing to settle for that.

It’s certainly possible - supposedly that was the deal with Marvin Jones, even though he and AJ and Hawkins and Sanu were really tight, and he was really producing as a 2nd WR. 

All of that said, I could def see the opposite for Tee, too… comfort with the offense, playing with Joe, friendships, etc..  Not saying he’d take a hometown discount, nor should he as he’s earned a big payday - and Tee has an agent who’s very competent and has the rep of getting big deals for his clients.

I love watching Tee, and he and Chase are elite players that I’d love to have around long-term. I like the other depth pieces they have, too, but Tee and Chase are in a different stratosphere, skill-wise. 

2 hours ago, dex said:

Exception to the rule., but I didn't say 6th round or later...I just said 6th rounder. Hopefully Iosivas can become an excellent WR4 next year and beyond. The potential is there.

Since they didn't trade him before the draft when the return value was at its highest, the Bengals need to sign Higgins to an extension. 

I couldn't agree more they gotta keep him

6 hours ago, dex said:

I like Iosivas a lot and he could be a good receiver down the road, but based on past draft history to expect him to match the production of Higgins seems unlikely. Never in NFL history has a WR drafted in the 6th round gained a 1000 yards or more in a single season. Not once. Maybe Iosivas will one day become the first 6th round WR to ever do so...but I would feel much safer with Higgins signed long term. A healthy Higgins is guaranteed to gain 1000-plus yards every season.

Antonio Brown, TJ Housh, Stevie Johnson, Marques Colston all drafted 6th Rd or later who have had multiple 1000 yd seasons consecutively; not just once. That’s off the top of my head. I’m sure google could help me with more if I wanted.  

There have been dozens of WRs drafted in rounds 1-2 that have been absolute busts. Round doesn’t determine if you’re going to be successful or not. Work ethic, talent, football acumen, confidence, coaching, system, QB… all play a role. Also, Iosivas doesn’t need to match Higgins’ production fully, just needs to come somewhere in the ballpark. Having two 1000 yd receivers is somewhat rare. Has a team with two 1000 receivers ever won anything of significance? 

Even with that counter-argument, I hope Bengals resign Higgins. But it isn’t essential IMO. 

One of the reasons I think Logan Wilson was ready to make a deal, is he had only made 4.9 million in his 4 years in the NFL (3 after taxes). So while he was "wealthy" by normal people standards, not by NFL ones. So when he had the chance to lock in a 36 million $ extension with a 10 million dollar signing bonus (6 after taxes), he immediately in one morning doubled the entire amount he had made in the NFL. 

As for Tee, he will have made 8.7 million total by the end of this year in his career, (5 after taxes) ... But if he signs an extension right now, he could get a signing bonus of at least 20 million lets say (12 after taxes). So, like Logan, he could double his NFL earnings with one stroke of the pen as well, and get himself security from injury. If he doesn't sign all the playing risk is borne by him, which is why it would be irrational to do it. Even practicing he could suffer a season-ending injury. So I am not sure why his agent would have him doing anything until the new deal is done.