Will Grier A Gift?

Anyone else impressed by Will Grier? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Grier

Seems like his road to the NFL was a bit rough but he seems to have some talent from the stats:

College statistics[edit]

Season Team GP Passing Rushing
Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Int Rtg Att Yds Avg TD
2015 Florida 6 105 160 65.5 1,202 10 3 145.6 36 116 3.2 2
2017 West Virginia 11 250 388 64.4 3,490 34 12 162.7 63 122 1.9 2
2018 West Virginia 11 266 397 67.0 3,864 37 8 175.5 48 90 2.9 3
Career[34] 28 621 945 65.7 8,556 81 23 165.2 147 328 2.2 7

Hopefully he learned his lesson with the performance enhancing drug problem he had that caused him to be suspended. I never watched him play but seems like he has a bit of arm strength and mobility. I might go back and watch the Dallas game for fun. I like to look at it as if we got a free 3rd round pick to be Joe's extra backup if needed. I would not have complained if the Bengals used a draft pick for this season or next. Not that I dislike Browning, but he doesn't seem to have the killer instinct that we need to replace Joe and win in the case of (heaven forbid) something happened. Pretty sure no one wants to see the results of Browning being the starter for an extended period of time.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Slag911 said:

Anyone else impressed by Will Grier? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Grier

Seems like his road to the NFL was a bit rough but he seems to have some talent from the stats:

College statistics[edit]

Season Team GP Passing Rushing
Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Int Rtg Att Yds Avg TD
2015 Florida 6 105 160 65.5 1,202 10 3 145.6 36 116 3.2 2
2017 West Virginia 11 250 388 64.4 3,490 34 12 162.7 63 122 1.9 2
2018 West Virginia 11 266 397 67.0 3,864 37 8 175.5 48 90 2.9 3
Career[34] 28 621 945 65.7 8,556 81 23 165.2 147 328 2.2 7

Hopefully he learned his lesson with the performance enhancing drug problem he had that caused him to be suspended. I never watched him play but seems like he has a bit of arm strength and mobility. I might go back and watch the Dallas game for fun. I like to look at it as if we got a free 3rd round pick to be Joe's extra backup if needed. I would not have complained if the Bengals used a draft pick for this season or next. Not that I dislike Browning, but he doesn't seem to have the killer instinct that we need to replace Joe and win in the case of (heaven forbid) something happened. Pretty sure no one wants to see the results of Browning being the starter for an extended period of time.  

Nice research. From the footage I saw from the 'Boys preseason highlights, dude seems like a gamer

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

will-grier-yeah.gif

He plays with moxie and personality which I like. Has some 'gunslinger' bravado in him. Dallas only let him go because it was becoming obvious he's better than Dak, who they have to pay (and thus play) regardless. 

Basically...not Browning. 

I’d tap the brakes a bit but he does have some good qualities. And he’s been around. At 29, he’s the oldest QB they’ve got, and he’s played under a few different NFL coordinators. He had a nice career at WV and made some clutch plays. And it was impressive how, even as he knew he was gonna get cut after the game, he still balled out last weekend. 

Mike McCarthy said it was as good a game by a player in a PS game that’s he’s ever been part of. And Grier was really popular with his teammates, so definitely a good get for the Bengals. Supposedly McCarthy wanted him back, but he was gonna be 4th on the depth chart, whereas he’s got a legit shot to be QB2 here, with a possibility on the 53… so more $. 

• Upvote 1

I would still prefer to find our own Garoppolo that sits for many years....but maybe we can get by without needing to make a high to mid round draft pic for this. Hope it works out. This team deserves to have a serviceable QB2 because they can still win with the players they have as long as the QB and line hold up.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, texbengal said:

I’d tap the brakes a bit but he does have some good qualities. And he’s been around. At 29, he’s the oldest QB they’ve got, and he’s played under a few different NFL coordinators. He had a nice career at WV and made some clutch plays. And it was impressive how, even as he knew he was gonna get cut after the game, he still balled out last weekend. 

Mike McCarthy said it was as good a game by a player in a PS game that’s he’s ever been part of. And Grier was really popular with his teammates, so definitely a good get for the Bengals. Supposedly McCarthy wanted him back, but he was gonna be 4th on the depth chart, whereas he’s got a legit shot to be QB2 here, with a possibility on the 53… so more $. 

If they want him back, he's only on our practice squad and only a phone call away.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

If they want him back, he's only on our practice squad and only a phone call away.

sure, but l think he’s got a legit shot at the #2 and a 53 roster spot in Cincinnati. He’d be running at best QB3 in Dallas, and they wouldn’t keep 4 QBs on their 53 - so less of an opportunity for him. 

• Upvote 1

Why didn't we steal Bailey Zappe from the Pats? Were we able to when they cut him?

RIP Colt Brennan, but for the longest time I wanted us o claim him when Washington cut him. The guy had one of the best pre-seasons I have ever seen for a rookie. 

Maybe a voice in the wilderness here…but personally, I still like Browning. He was an AMAZING high school QB…and upper level collegiately good at UW—in a pass-heavy conference. Smart and athletic. Not every talented QB needs to be a “gunslinger”. 

OK…he’s a “practice squad player” at the NFL level. I still see a good quality backup in him. 

Grier too, for that matter. And…he’s a ‘neer, which has to make my good friend Sox happy. 

• Upvote 2

cutting trevor is great, i expected to keep the vet, but nothing he has ever done has been impressive. 

Lapham was speaking on bengals QB decisions and he was like "yea they gtting cheap ones, they are gonna give joe a truck of money so the backups gotta be cheap"

so i expected about as much, but old actions die hard in my brain.

• Upvote 1