Analysis: Who is to blame for Cincinnati Bengals' 1-3 start?

Defensive efficiency: 48.5 (23rd)

Biggest issue on defense: Run defense

Cincinnati's rushing defense is the worst it has been in years. The Bengals have allowed the second-most rushing yards (280) in the NFL this season. Cincinnati's 5.1 yards allowed per carry matches its highest total in the past five years. Cincinnati had 12 missed tackles against the Titans, per defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo. Bengals DT DJ Reader on being better tacklers: "You have to want to do it. Sometimes guys don't want to do it. You have bad technique and that's a product of you not wanting to do it that play." -- Ben Baby

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38505927/nfl-week-5-power-rankings-poll-2023-plus-biggest-issues-defense#CIN

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

It was a general observation, Harry. Not aimed at you. 

No, no, no... did not take it that way at all.

Lots of thoughts but stepping away for awhile.  Most of them disjointed.

Like... what would the Cincinnati Bengals have been if Greg Cook had not been injured

and I don't want to be saying somewhere down the line "What would the Cincinnati Bengals 

have been if Joe Burrow had not gotten injured (worse)?"

Err on the side of caution.  Sit him down to rest the leg for two weeks counting the bye.

What's the worse that can happen with Browning or the lurking McCarron in there.

We lose?  The Joe Bengals did not score a touchdown last week and Joe even lost a fumble.

I would much rather see a healthy Joe come out of the bye and try to salvage something out

of this dumpster fire season.

• Upvote 2

I think we’re very close to the point of no return this season for the Bengals, but here’s why I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad team (apologies to all of you with those Super Bowl futures locked in). Having a break in competitiveness for the Bengals gives a really good team a rare chance to draft high in a quarterback-heavy draft, much like the 49ers were able to when they nabbed Nick Bosa. Quarterback injuries happen, but this coaching staff didn’t forget how to coach, nor did Burrow forget to play quarterback. Let’s say the Bengals have to sit Burrow to get him fully healthy after all and they end up losing a few games: at this point, take the long view and look at how much it helped San Francisco. They could even take a wide receiver to replace one of the weapons they’ll inevitably lose in free agency.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/10/03/week-4-power-rankings-christian-mccaffrey-49ers#gid=ci02cae6688000271a&pid=16-atlanta-falcons-22-

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

Having a break in competitiveness for the Bengals gives a really good team a rare chance to draft high in a quarterback-heavy draft,

The flip side is that more than a few upcoming FA’s will not be here (most notably DJ Reader). Plus no guarantees of landing another OBJ type signing on the premise this is a Super Bowl team in waiting. 

Bengals unraveling?

Ja'Marr Chase quote -- "I'm always f---ing open" -- is going to get all the attention because it contains an F bomb but there are many more reasons why the Bengals are the would-be AFC powerhouse to really worry about almost a quarter of the way into the season. Joe Burrow has just been bad this year and it's pretty clearly a result of his calf injury limiting his ability to move around and push the ball down the field. 

Burrow is the first quarterback in NFL history to attempt 150 passes and average less than 5 yards per pass attempt through his team's first four games, per ESPN Stats and Info. His mechanics look all out of whack (again, it's pretty clearly the calf and it shouldn't be that surprising either) and for some reason the Bengals feel OK leaving him in to take a bigger beating during a blowout loss on the road. 

Zac Taylor says they were still trying to come back in the fourth quarter, down three scores and that’s why Burrow stayed in the game.

— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) October 1, 2023

Burrow wanted to stay in the game and referenced playing the entire thing as a point of pride. That's all fine and well, but Burrow was, bluntly, getting his ass kicked out there. The Titans defensive line dominated the Bengals offensive line and Burrow was under siege for most of the afternoon, getting sacked three times and taking double-digit quarterback hits. Derrick Henry threw more touchdown passes than Burrow.

The Bengals failed to score a touchdown for the second time this season. At some point Zac Taylor just has to recognize how dangerous it is for Burrow's long-term health to keep rolling him out there when he's getting crushed and the Bengals don't have a legitimate chance of winning the football game. 

The Ravens also picked up a win on Sunday on the road against Cleveland, giving them a pair of divisional road wins with a chance to sweep the division on the road next week in Pittsburgh. Cleveland's dealing with a Deshaun Watson injury and has been seriously hit or miss on a week-to-week basis. Pittsburgh's offense has a Matt Canada problem. Baltimore could run away with the division, but the there are two very viable wild card spots even for a 1-3 Bengals team to attack. 

Right now the offense isn't working, though, and there isn't a chance of Cincy stealing one of those playoff positions if Burrow doesn't get healthy. Any and all options should be on the table to get him as much time as he needs. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sorting-the-sunday-pile-week-4-bills-look-like-nfls-best-bengals-season-unwinding-bears-silver-lining/

11 hours ago, GoBengals said:

lol

why cant it just ever be the obvious. why is the entire fanbase of 50 year old men always grabbing pitchforks and torches like living tik tok reaction videos.

is it... maybe... MAYBE...

1. The best player on the team is hurt

2. Due to that the offense has had to chance theme and plan every single week.

3. we have, again, faced some super talented front pass rushes to start the season and the two things above made that a bit more impactful.

4. we have several young players and our best corner returning from season ending injury on defense which has led to some clear miscommunications or mistakes.

and with football being a game of consistency and reps on offense which has been impossible to have, and a game on inches as they say, any hiccup in the secondary can and has led to big plays.

thats it. 

there are two teams in the league good enough to go to the superbowl, and we were it one of the last two years.

there are 4 teams good enough to make it to the conference finals, and we have been it 2 of the last 2 years.

but people want to bark about coaches and playcalls. its so fucking lazy and predictable.

people in here bitching about staff members who they dont even know what they do as their job on the team.

I would add thatTaylor ran a very causal and soft TC, players loved it but it seems to me this has contributed to our very slow start. Granted JB was hurt in camp but the rest of the key players could have and should have played more in preseason. We have been a step or two behind other teams so far. 

Honestly, it's a shitshow that isn't entirely one issue, which is normal.  I just wish Taylor and the Bengals had the foresight and nerve to tell Burrow NO. 

And, as I've said before, I do think Burrow's pride is a problem.  He's a throwback.  More like Jordan than Labron.  They had to take Jordan out of blowout games because he wouldn't rest or stop.  Modern players like Labron either quit or know when to give up depending upon your interpretation.  As damn near everyone but the Bengals are saying, why risk Burrow's health to have him play like this? 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Honestly, it's a shitshow that isn't entirely one issue, which is normal.  I just wish Taylor and the Bengals had the foresight and nerve to tell Burrow NO. 

And, as I've said before, I do think Burrow's pride is a problem.  He's a throwback.  More like Jordan than Labron.  They had to take Jordan out of blowout games because he wouldn't rest or stop.  Modern players like Labron either quit or know when to give up depending upon your interpretation.  As damn near everyone but the Bengals are saying, why risk Burrow's health to have him play like this? 

I think what it comes down to is the end result. Could Jake Browning have gotten the team to 1-3 while being dead last in the NFL in offensive production, points? I think so. That’s what Burrow on one leg has given them. 

Now there are two schools of though regarding the calf. Some say it can heal while going through activity while others say to rest for optimal recovery, to avoid reinjuring the tissue. The grade of strain and fiber tears play another factor. How bad was Burrows injury? Did they ever say which grade strain it was? Seems like his injury was much worse than initially thought as typical calf strains are resolved within 4-8 wks. Add in that Burrow has pretty much any and every modality available to him, he should have been good to go by week 2 at worst. 100% recovered. 

What I think happened is that it was probably a grade 2 strain at best and maybe even significant tearing of the muscle fibers. Then, while in the recovery process there was a setback, or multiple setbacks that took the timetable back to day 1 of recovery. Just doesn’t make sense otherwise. It’s been about 10 wks now since his initial injury during the second practice of OTAs. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

I think what it comes down to is the end result. Could Jake Browning have gotten the team to 1-3 while being dead last in the NFL in offensive production, points? I think so. That’s what Burrow on one leg has given them. 

Now there are two schools of though regarding the calf. Some say it can heal while going through activity while others say to rest for optimal recovery, to avoid reinjuring the tissue. The grade of strain and fiber tears play another factor. How bad was Burrows injury? Did they ever say which grade strain it was? Seems like his injury was much worse than initially thought as typical calf strains are resolved within 4-8 wks. Add in that Burrow has pretty much any and every modality available to him, he should have been good to go by week 2 at worst. 100% recovered. 

What I think happened is that it was probably a grade 2 strain at best and maybe even significant tearing of the muscle fibers. Then, while in the recovery process there was a setback, or multiple setbacks that took the timetable back to day 1 of recovery. Just doesn’t make sense otherwise. It’s been about 10 wks now since his initial injury during the second practice of OTAs. 

The Bengals are treating us like mushrooms when it comes to Burrow's injury, keeping us in the dark and feeding us shit. 

5 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

The Bengals are treating us like mushrooms when it comes to Burrow's injury, keeping us in the dark and feeding us shit. 

I think they give out such less info for several reasons, competitive advantage being key amongst them. 

To me, Zac Taylor is using Burrows injury as a crutch. He knows if a healthy backup is in, his ineptitude as a play designer and caller will be exposed (even further). 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

I think they give out such less info for several reasons, competitive advantage being key amongst them. 

To me, Zac Taylor is using Burrows injury as a crutch. He knows if a healthy backup is in, his ineptitude as a play designer and caller will be exposed (even further). 

They need a competent play caller 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

It's definitely a crutch and his record/performace without Burrow is historically bad. Remember future PickleBall HOF'er and former Bengals QB Ryan Finley, who was hand picked by Taylor to run his offense...yikes. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

It's definitely a crutch and his record/performace without Burrow is historically bad. Remember future PickleBall HOF'er and former Bengals QB Ryan Finley, who was hand picked by Taylor to run his offense...yikes. 

Haha yes, who could forget Ryan Finley, the means to the end that was Joe Burrow. I’m actually glad he did that. Otherwise Dalton would have played and won another game or two which would have taken us out of the #1 pick that year. Bengals would have ended up with Tua or Herbert 

44 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Pickleball has a HOF???.

Lol

Badmitten, croquet, putt putt have them too?...😎

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

But Ryan Finley was the last person to defeat Pisspuke on Monday night in I don't know how long. 

16 hours ago, GoBengals said:

lol

why cant it just ever be the obvious. why is the entire fanbase of 50 year old men always grabbing pitchforks and torches like living tik tok reaction videos.

is it... maybe... MAYBE...

1. The best player on the team is hurt

2. Due to that the offense has had to chance theme and plan every single week.

3. we have, again, faced some super talented front pass rushes to start the season and the two things above made that a bit more impactful.

4. we have several young players and our best corner returning from season ending injury on defense which has led to some clear miscommunications or mistakes.

and with football being a game of consistency and reps on offense which has been impossible to have, and a game on inches as they say, any hiccup in the secondary can and has led to big plays.

thats it. 

there are two teams in the league good enough to go to the superbowl, and we were it one of the last two years.

there are 4 teams good enough to make it to the conference finals, and we have been it 2 of the last 2 years.

but people want to bark about coaches and playcalls. its so fucking lazy and predictable.

people in here bitching about staff members who they dont even know what they do as their job on the team.

So it's all just bad luck? No one bears any responsibility at all? That seems... generous.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

So it's all just bad luck? No one bears any responsibility at all? That seems... generous.

That's a ton of mental gymnastics to go through to not blame the HC who insists on calling the plays and doesn't have the balls to bench his obviously banged-up QB.

What is the point of having a backup QB if you don't play him when the starter is hurt? Why are you only running the ball 20 times a game with a banged-up QB and an RB who is highly paid and playing well? This offensive line is clearly better at run blocking than pass blocking but instead of playing to the strength of the team they are being stubborn in trying to force the passing game to work...and it's not working. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

That's a ton of mental gymnastics to go through to not blame the HC who insists on calling the plays and doesn't have the balls to bench his obviously banged-up QB.

What is the point of having a backup QB if you don't play him when the starter is hurt? Why are you only running the ball 20 times a game with a banged-up QB and an RB who is highly paid and playing well? This offensive line is clearly better at run blocking than pass blocking but instead of playing to the strength of the team they are being stubborn in trying to force the passing game to work...and it's not working. 

I'm not sure if they're better at run blocking or if defenses are selling out defending the passing game. Suspect it's the latter but either way they should let Mixon take advantage of it.

IDK the answers either but there seems to be a disconnect there somewhere between what they think is going on and the results on the field.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'm not sure if they're better at run blocking or if defenses are selling out defending the passing game. Suspect it's the latter but either way they should let Mixon take advantage of it.

IDK the answers either but there seems to be a disconnect there somewhere between what they think is going on and the results on the field.

I hope they are better at run blocking because the pass blocking is suspect at best. 

57 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I hope they are better at run blocking because the pass blocking is suspect at best. 

I know their numbers tend to be better for pass blocking. Pass pro is reactive rather than active like run blocking though so I'm not sure I trust those sort of ratings. 

Overall I think JB has been very good at shifting in the pocket and without that ability plus the usual heavy passing tendencies in the play calling the OL is in a tough spot.

• Upvote 1